Author Topic: Float Bowl O-Ring from Harley, part 27577-92  (Read 8882 times)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Float Bowl O-Ring from Harley, part 27577-92
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
I'm going through my carbs trying to figure out why the bike is running poorly and leaking gas.

Found put part of the problem was the repair that I tried to make to one of the crap K&L o-rings didn't work.  Gasoline-1, Hondabond-0.  8-(

Since none of the import bike places keep more than $9.72 worth of inventory on hand, I headed off to the H-D dealer on a hunch. 

I've heard that the Sportster and KLR650 share the same carb body and the diaphragms are interchangeable.  So that got me thinking--if the diaphragms are interchangeable, maybe the float bowl o-rings are too.  So I checked the part numbers from Kawi and the o-rings from the KLR are the same ones as the Connie.  Kawasaki wants around $10 plus shipping for each one.  And I'd have to wait.

So off to Grand Canyon H-D in Mayer I go.  Told the tech I needed a float bowl o-ring for a 2001 XLH883, but any year from 1992-2003 (at least, maybe later) will work.

Here's what he came back with:

The part number is 27577-92.

And here is the o-ring in the float bowl:

Note the little circle--that's for the accelerator pump and will have to be carefully snipped off.

Cost was $4.25.  Kawasaki ought to be ashamed of what they charge for their service parts.

Not encouraging anyone to go the darkside, but if someone is in desperate need for a carb o-ring try H-D.  Some of the dealers are open 7 days a week and they actually stock parts.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline redzgrider

Re: Float Bowl O-Ring from Harley, part 27577-92
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:24 PM »
Don't know about any 'dark side' issues, but I for one find the information extremly valuable!
Thank you very much!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Don't know about any 'dark side' issues, but I for one find the information extremely valuable!
Thank you very much!

You're welcome.  I've pinched an o-ring before and the Hondabond just didn't hold up.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
I just realized something.  The part number on the float bowl o-ring starts with 92.  In Harleyese, that means that that part number was first used in 1992.  The ones before '92 had the accelerator pump o-ring separate.

I think I also found a part number for the drain screw o-ring.  I am going to Phoenix tomorrow, I'll take a float bowl and drain screw with me to check.

If the parts work, the cost to do the float bowls & drain screws will be $20 for everything.

I'm also gonna swing by an indy and see what it would cost to use all James gaskets.  James gaskets are good stuff and made in the USA.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »
Good info.  Thanks.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:26:23 AM »
You can also get your carb jets from the HD shop for the exact same reason......
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30:25 AM »
So how long did it take to scrape the chrome off the gasket?   ;D
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:37:25 PM »
or you could simply make a call here:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_107&products_id=329
and plop $20 for all 4, call on a Wednesday and check the mailbox Monday morn.....free shipping.....

but then you probably haven't been here long enough to know our secrets..... ;)

oh, and the reason the kaw parts are so high is they have to ship those HD rings to japan, and pay someone to cobbledick them and trim them down... 8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 02:52:00 AM »
I've ordered stuff from Murphs before.  Wanted to see if I could source some locally.

The K&L o-rings don't fit properly.  They need to be stretched to fit because their molds are off.

I'm going to try some James gaskets because I like to buy stuff made in the USA when possible.

The H-D stuff is made in Japan.

Oddly enough, the same O-ring from Suzuki costs $5 and change.  So I guess Kawasaki likes playing its customers for suckers.

or you could simply make a call here:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_107&products_id=329
and plop $20 for all 4, call on a Wednesday and check the mailbox Monday morn.....free shipping.....

but then you probably haven't been here long enough to know our secrets..... ;)

oh, and the reason the kaw parts are so high is they have to ship those HD rings to japan, and pay someone to cobbledick them and trim them down... 8)
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Summit670

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:01:19 AM »
I probably missed it - what is the suzuki part number?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:57 AM »
You didn't miss it--I didn't put it up.  DOH!!  My notes are at home.

You can look it up under any year of Suzuki 600 Bandit.

I guess the 600s used Keihin CVKs.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:07 AM »

I'm going to try some James gaskets because I like to buy stuff made in the USA when possible.The H-D stuff is made in Japan.

:rotflmao:
and your bike was made where? or should I say the parts were made where?
 ;)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:40 AM »
:rotflmao:
and your bike was made where? or should I say the parts were made where?
 ;)

I ride what I can afford. I miss the cheap parts, dealers that don't suck and the non-messy oil change that only required a stubby standard screwdriver.
If I could afford another solid-mount XLH I'd be on it in a heartbeat without looking back.
But I can't.  I can afford what I've got.
Better to ride the fragile, expensive-to-repair Kawi than not ride at all.

Why should I not try to buy domestic parts for my motorcycle?  Please explain.

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
...Better to ride the fragile, expensive-to-repair Kawi than not ride at all.

Why should I not try to buy domestic parts for my motorcycle?  Please explain.

I hardly consider the Concours fragile, or expensive to repair...based on how many 86 and up ones are running around today, or the ones with bonifide 200k odometer readings I've seen...  ;)

please don't take my joking the wrong way, I like low priced parts that work also, and I along with Steve in Fla have probably installed hundreds of K&L bowl gaskets....stretch them, install, and all is good. You only stretch it once during install, no big deal. Easier to stretch one than SHRINK one... 8)

as for James kits, I think you may be confusing "KIT made in U.S.A.", with "ALL PARTS in Kit MANUFACTURED in the U.S.A."....big difference. call them.
 ;)
(they do have good prices though, I need to check with them as the prices for diaphragm/slide assy is great ($44?)

frugal is all good man, nothing wrong with it.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 03:54:23 PM »
"and your bike was made where? "
I still have the handle bar tag somewhere that notes my 2000 was assembled -- which is as close as a vehicle gets to being made -- in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:20 PM »
Had never heard of James Gasket before -- probably because I've never been a Harley type -- but it looks like a
JGI-27577-88 would be perfect alternative.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 09:31:44 PM »
I hardly consider the Concours fragile, or expensive to repair...based on how many 86 and up ones are running around today, or the ones with bonifide 200k odometer readings I've seen...  ;)

please don't take my joking the wrong way, I like low priced parts that work also, and I along with Steve in Fla have probably installed hundreds of K&L bowl gaskets....stretch them, install, and all is good. You only stretch it once during install, no big deal. Easier to stretch one than SHRINK one... 8)

as for James kits, I think you may be confusing "KIT made in U.S.A.", with "ALL PARTS in Kit MANUFACTURED in the U.S.A."....big difference. call them.
 ;)
(they do have good prices though, I need to check with them as the prices for diaphragm/slide assy is great ($44?)

frugal is all good man, nothing wrong with it.

$44 for a diaphragm blows your mind, eh?  I heard about the interchangeability a long time ago on advrider from a KLR owner.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
Had never heard of James Gasket before -- probably because I've never been a Harley type -- but it looks like a
JGI-27577-88 would be perfect alternative.

James even designed their own intake manifold gaskets--totally different than the H-D factory pieces.  Work better too.

I'm going to email or call them this week and find out if all their stuff is molded here.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red