Author Topic: Rain gutter leaf guards  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Rain gutter leaf guards
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:08:12 PM »
   Ok; I have been tasked with finding, buying and installing leaf guards on our rain gutters. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the different types of leaf guards, and what you thought of them. We have asphalt roof shingles, we have 2 or 3 trees with big leaves that drop onto the roof, and we're talking about Syracuse NY, so we have seen the odd snowflake or two...billion. Anybody been down this path? Got any suggestions, either pro or con?
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Rain gutter leaf guards
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:35 PM »
I've never had them but heard they don't work if you have pine needles, which we do...

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
Soon as my back quits doing the spasm dance from redoing the flashing on a skylight I'll be putting these in place. http://www.leafblaster.com/

The plastic mesh don't get great reviews but these have shown to work quite well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
I don't know the name of mine except they work well for the most part.  I have a two story house with a top roof and roofs overhanging the front and rear decks.  They were professionally installed and feature a lip that prevents leaves from getting into the gutter (these are aluminium).  My problem with them is that the upper roof drains to the lower roofs and overwhelms the gutter area where the flow is the strongest.  This was especially noticeable with the recent rains we had.  I solved it by removing the sections where the upper roofs drain into them (four of them).  Leaves essentially roll off but I do have to clean the slits on the lower roofs every year as the pollen crap builds up over the gutter supports.  All in all a worthwhile investment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
Stay away from Guttertopper. Their warranty is void if there is any "distortion" in the panels. My neighbor has them and three panels were damaged by a tree falling in a wind storm three months ago. They are thin aluminum sheetmetal.
First, the inspector said her warranty was void because several of the panels had small hail  dimples and others were distorted (the installer distorted them on installation).
They flat out refused to sell her the panels and said they would have their installer replace them for $300 to$400. She has been calling them for three months and still haven't been replaced.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:02 PM »
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:05 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:47:37 PM »
Wife and I have been DYI for home improvements for years...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1077229538046&set=t.1445475018&type=1
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"