Author Topic: I am so frickin' spoiled...  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Slideways

I am so frickin' spoiled...
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
I grew up in a place with harsh winters and bikes that sat in the garage or barn for months every year. This picture is of me on a ride north of Ojai, CA on route 33. I can drive south and be in L.A. if I need the big city or I can drive the same distance north and be where the photo was taken. The whole area is amazing. We rode to Lockwood Village and back on roads that don't have a straight away longer then a quarter of a mile for hours. One of the highlights was passing, slowly mind you so I could wave and have a closer look, two Velocettes! Spoiled? Yes but at least I know it.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: I am so frickin' spoiled...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
I always thought California would be a nice place if it wasn't in California.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »
In the picture it looks more the The Bad Lands and unlike the National Parks it was open.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
Spent a lot of time ridding in that area 20 years ago. It was nice but the people made me want to leave and return home here to Alaska. My bike might sit part of the year but that sure doesn't stop me from enjoying where I live.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »
Good for you. Regardless of any other thoughts on California, it really is a spectacular piece of real estate and is in a rather (overall) nice climate.

I am currently watching all the leaves turn color and fall off the trees. Soon enough I will have my Honda out.... the snowblower :-)

Brian

I grew up in a place with harsh winters and bikes that sat in the garage or barn for months every year. This picture is of me on a ride north of Ojai, CA on route 33. I can drive south and be in L.A. if I need the big city or I can drive the same distance north and be where the photo was taken. The whole area is amazing. We rode to Lockwood Village and back on roads that don't have a straight away longer then a quarter of a mile for hours. One of the highlights was passing, slowly mind you so I could wave and have a closer look, two Velocettes! Spoiled? Yes but at least I know it.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:18:46 AM »
My Navy son and D-I-L live on base at Point Mugu. I keep a KLR650 there. I know Rt33 very well. Vroom vroom.

Edit to add: I always try to stop in at the Santa Barbara Pistachio store on the north end of the fun stuff. I actually had to buy gas there last year, $4.69/gal for regular. Not much between there and Ojai, though(as in nothing but twisties). In and out of Kern Valley doesn't suck either. And the same lack of traffic.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
Nice!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Slideways

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »
It was nice but the people made me want to leave and return home here to Alaska.

Must say just about every motorcyclist waved as we passed and half the locals in their pickups waved as well.

I have Barrow, AK as one of the favorites on the weather app on my phone. I use it to remind myself that it is never cold in SoCal where I live.  ;)

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »
I agree with the OP. I live in northern CA just north of Monterey / south of SF, and commute through redwood covered mountains every day. These are roads that the sports car and bike guys run on the weekend for fun. Every year around this time we see signs with car and bike logos on them. The major manufacturers use this area for press tours on new model introductions.

I grew up in northern Il, and while it was fun to go WFO on arrow-straight roads through miles of cornfields, it doesn't begin to compare to the rides around her.

We also have great destinations like Alice's Restaurant, where on the weekends you can see hundreds of motorcycles of every type converge for breakfast and bs.