Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 15927 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Ancestry
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
I just sent my wife's in and we'll see how much American Indian she has...I'm guessing none.

For years and years my wife's family claimed that there was a Native American someplace in the family tree. After sending in her DNA that claim has been debunked. What she did find out was that one of her relatives was abducted by a Native American tribe but then released in a prisoner exchange of some kind. That info wasn't from her DNA record of course but she found it out in her research.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:34:05 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »
FTFY :)

And I insist everyone start using the term "European American" instead of "White".  Since everyone else gets to be "XXXXXXX American".

I guess I'm an English American then...born in England on a USAF installation from American/English parents.   I'm not European, never will be.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »
My ancestors were islanders also.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
I know...Long Island...
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2016, 04:20:31 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2016, 05:04:57 AM »
One of the things that does make it hard is that over this 5000 or so years  ;) the census takers in this county didn't do a very good job (imagine that, our government workers screwing things up). Some of the names were changed or misspelled by the census takers and that makes things much more difficult.

It's not just the census takers, it's the family members giving the information.  They named themselves whatever name they were using at the time, at least with my relatives.  If someone was known with a nickname, that's what they told the census people.

My wife is finding that in some cases the census workers didn't even get the race of the censed (is that a word?   ;)  ) correct. One would think that this part of the questionnaire would be easy. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline O.C.

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »
I guess I'm an English American then...born in England on a USAF installation from American/English parents.  I'm not European, never will be.

Me neither Jim.....English through and through

I'm tempted to research my ancestry but may just choose to 'let sleeping dogs lie'

I do have a brother but if I didn't see him again it would be a day too soon  >:( 

Both my parents and extended family are now gone   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Conrad

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »
Me neither Jim.....English through and through

I'm tempted to research my ancestry but may just choose to 'let sleeping dogs lie'

I do have a brother but if I didn't see him again it would be a day too soon  >:( 

Both my parents and extended family are now gone   

Don't wake em, just poke them with a dull stick instead.