Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 15930 times)

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »
Hmm....i found I am distantly related to a peanut farmer...

But also distantly related to a Confederate General...
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »
I'd be thrilled to find out that I'm NOT actually related to my sister.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »

There are times I don't think I am related to mine, either.  Most of the time, actually.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 06:27:08 AM »

I'm with you there! I'm pretty sure that my sister was switched at birth and my real sister is out there somewhere...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 06:41:12 AM »
Yeah, I suppose.  But that is more about exact people.  I was thinking more about what you are getting with the DNA thing- which is just what geographical areas your ancestors were from.... I don't see how that would matter.

Yeesh... I suppose it could be worse- could be the Clintons.

No, you aren't allowed to piggy back the same Clinton joke onto my Trump joke. No sir you'll have to get your own.    ;)

The DNA trace is about what geographical areas your ancestors were from but it's not just about that. It matches your family's lineage via the DNA hits but also by the family tree info that has been entered by others in the family. For instance, if you had a sister that you didn't know about (or your sister was switched at birth) and she sent her DNA in to be tested, it would be possible to find this sister by the DNA match. I've found several 2nd cousins that I knew nothing about. They have to come from my biological father's side. Once you have a DNA match with these other people you get hints as to where you might fit into their family tree and they into yours.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »

You're going to keep the kid then?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »

:cool:"When your mother is your brother and your father is some other, clap your hands..."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:09 PM »
You people are WRONG. On SO many levels.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 09:47:26 PM »

Nah, didn't keep the last two, either.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2016, 01:01:48 AM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 05:18:40 AM »
My wife has found my biological father and his (my) family. I already knew his name but I didn't have proof positive that it was him, till this morning. She found a late 1950's white page phonebook listing for him that puts him in the place of my birth around the time of my birth.

There you are asshole, but alas, he died back in 1982...

I do have some direct DNA hits for 2nd cousins in that family though. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:14:57 PM by Conrad »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
...... a 1958 white page phonebook listing ......... at the time of my birth.

You young whippersnapper you, always finding a way to flaunt your youth in our faces!  :P

Get off my lawn sonny boy!  :)

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »
I do have some direct DNA hits for 2nd cousins in that family though.

Do they have money?  Maybe they will adopt you.
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »
All these ancestry things are nice, but how can they say that you are % such and such and % such and such when the only people they are comparing you to are only the people that have sent in their DNA, its not really a true test as not everyone in the whole world has been tested. You are only a percentage of just the people who have been tested by that agency. Just a thought that's all. I'm not a scientist.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »
There are different genetic markers for different parts of the world. From there, it's just math
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 04:37:50 AM »
All these ancestry things are nice, but how can they say that you are % such and such and % such and such when the only people they are comparing you to are only the people that have sent in their DNA, its not really a true test as not everyone in the whole world has been tested. You are only a percentage of just the people who have been tested by that agency. Just a thought that's all. I'm not a scientist.

There are different genetic markers for different parts of the world. From there, it's just math

What Deziner said and I'm fully aware of the limitations but it's the only game in town and the price of admission isn't that much.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 04:39:36 AM »
Shouldn't be that hard to trace since people have only been on earth for 5000 years.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
Right... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.