Author Topic: Quick Report on Virginia Trip  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Quick Report on Virginia Trip
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
Well.....my trip down to see my Son in Hampton Va. was just wonderful. I added 2086 miles to "Hey Baby", 2 broken saddelbag brackets, and a few scratches on the mirrors. (See CDA for details).
While down there I did an awesome run down to The Outer Banks in N.C. The upper half is mostly rental cabins on the water, but the bottom half is just raw, un-developed beaches. I can get a pretty good idea what it was like thousands of years ago when standing on those beaches. I did a run up to Northhampton, which takes you on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. Talk about remote, just a raodway above the water and a couple of tunnels underneath. I got some great video in the tunnels.
On the way down I took 60 accross W. Va. and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway off 250 just W. of Charlotsville. It was a really nice day, lots of Sun and temps in the 60's. I did the run S to Rt. 58, which is also the exit for Lovers Leap. I got off BRP and went rt. about 2 miles and stayed at Willville Motorcycle Campground.
www.willvillebikecamp.com
It is a must stop if your down there, Will has taken a 26 acre wooded lot and turned it into a small patch of motorcyle paradise. $15 bucks solo or $22-2up is way to easy, showers, bunkhouses, party building and community campfire nightly. Checkout the website, it is a great place to rest your bones.
My return home trip I took 5 W which turns too 6 outside of Richmond and went back to Charelstville and linked up with the Skyline Drive going N. It is in Mohican National park, for the whole 106 miles. That means a speed limit of just 35mph. So as long as your not in a hurry, it is a very nice ride. I got into some elevations around 4000 ft. and the snow that came down the day before was still all around. I got off the SD onto 211 W and ended up staying the night in Brandywine W. Va., at a Pizza, Post Office, Motel. Not a 5 star, in the least, not really close to a half star, but the beds were clean, the water hot and Adult Cable free. No cell phone opp in that area at all either.
 My last day ride home, I took 33 accross W.Va.
If you want a fun road in W.Va., this is it. What do you want, switchbacks, hairpins, sweepers, endless curves, there you go. Worth a 2 day ride any weekend in my opinion.
Oh yea, I did have a blast with my Son in Hampton, we worked on his new to him house, layed some tile, trimmed some trees, added shelving to the garage, just some work only Dad could do for him.
So in a helmet box, it was a great early season ride. It was well worth missing Moonshine this yr.
Here are a couple pics from the ride.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline W14

Re: Quick Report on Virginia Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:13 AM »
Thanks for a great report, sound like you had a fun trip. The weather in Virginia is so unpredictable this time of the year, high 30's in the morning, snow in the mountains, high 70's in afternoon, plus lots of rain. I have ridden a lot of the Virginia roads you mentioned, 60 and 6 are great, as is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Want to do 58 (longest road in the state) and Lover's Leap again, scared the heck out of me the first time I road pass it. Also want to check out the willvillebike camp.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
Sounds like a great time was had! 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline okxd45

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
Sounds like an incredible trip. Glad you got to experience it! BTW, got a couple of good rides in this winter with the pants I bought from you.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:30 PM »
Jeff,
And I'll bet you didn't get cold either. I know my pair are just wonderful in the cold.
Now, regarding Rt. 58 in southern Va. The western section is very nice, plenty of hills and turns, the central and eastern are dead straight and snoozeville. Stay  west and you are good to go.
I shot over 300 pics on this trip, and got about 4 hrs of video. The BRP has so many pull offs, you will need about 4 days to do the 300 miles, so plan those stops.
Ride it safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline okxd45

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
Yep, definitely not cold! :) I have a friend in the DC area, might have to make a little trip out of it with the wife! Thanks for the report and i will have to check out some of those roads.
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)