Author Topic: Goldwing intercom headset questions  (Read 5096 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Goldwing intercom headset questions
« on: June 05, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
I know a lot of you have or have ridden Goldwings as well as the Concours so I figured that someone would have some first hand knowledge of Goldwing's built in nav/com system. I need a little help with my dad's set up.  He just bought a used 2008 Goldwing trike and it has the nav and intercom system on it but it didn't come with any headsets.  What's good and where can he get them? Is there a way to add a bluetooth module and use unwired headsets?  He also wants to add an FRS/GMRS radio so he can talk with me and my brother when with us. What will he need to plug that into the system?

Thanks for anyones help!
Brent

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Goldwing intercom headset questions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »
You should be needing J&M PB style cords

Its a five pin connection. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=HC-PB
It fits 1980-2012 Wings

Edit.....sorry you said headsets  :nuts:  Same cord for headsets, now you just have to decide if you want performance or elite.
http://www.jmcorp.com/
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
Thank you! I'll pass that along to dad tonight and show him the different choices.

Now I just need to see if there is a way to hook the two way radio into the system so he and mom can talk to us if they need to while we travel.  I looked on the trike last night and it has an AUX button but I'm not sure where or what type of hook ups it might have.  I'll do some more digging but if anyone has some knowledge about this to share I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again Snarf!

Brent

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:25 PM »
Brent,

a good place to look outside of the J&M webiste is Sierra Electronics,  http://www.sierra-mc.com/
WARNING - M/C audio can become addictive (and expensive)

Also, I have two of these '5 pin' chords that came with helmets I bought off of ebay and had to get separate cords for my J&M '6 pin' system.

IMG_1624 by MizzouMike, on Flickr

I don't need them, so if you are close you can have them..... even if you are not close you can have them, but they would have to be mailed then...  These are for the premium "half moon" shaped vs. "barn" shaped connectors that go into headsets.  I have both, so I always seem to have the wrong cord....

Also the ability to talk to passenger is a two-sides sword, at first it was really neat, but then I seem to get a lot more 'input' than I sometimes want... ;D  :-X

I live in the NEcorner (the only non-rectangular portion) of Kansas.

Mike
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »
Brent,

a good place to look outside of the J&M webiste is Sierra Electronics,  http://www.sierra-mc.com/
WARNING - M/C audio can become addictive (and expensive)

Also, I have two of these '5 pin' chords that came with helmets I bought off of ebay and had to get separate cords for my J&M '6 pin' system.

I don't need them, so if you are close you can have them..... even if you are not close you can have them, but they would have to be mailed then...  These are for the premium "half moon" shaped vs. "barn" shaped connectors that go into headsets.  I have both, so I always seem to have the wrong cord....

Also the ability to talk to passenger is a two-sides sword, at first it was really neat, but then I seem to get a lot more 'input' than I sometimes want... ;D  :-X

I live in the NEcorner (the only non-rectangular portion) of Kansas.

Mike

Hey thanks Mike! I showed him the J&M headsets and prices tonight and we talked about getting Honda factory from the dealer nearby who has them in stock.  Then I talked with another member and I think we decided on the Starcom headset route. So hopefully we'll have him and mom set up to bug each other real soon! ;)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
I went with the J&M CB, a big reason what I ride with Goldwingers and HD Ultra guys (I know the old fart crowd  ;)).   Well I needed to get into the conversation on the CB or we would have stopped every 30 miles and ate BBQ every meal!!!

Just kidding of course

They like ice cream in between BBQ    ;D
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
Well, honestly! Who doesn't like a little ice cream after some good BBQ.  And the only way to find the good BBQ is to stop and sample every chance you get.  Or something like that, right?

Offline BS-in-KS

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
Many thanks to Don who talked with me about the intercom and radio interface options to look into as well as thoughts on the different headset styles out there.  I'm looking into the www.bikemp3.com option but not ruling out Starcom's interface module yet either.  I'll try to update this with what dad decides to go with and some photos when we install it if I can.

Brent