Author Topic: KLR650!  (Read 3648 times)

Offline red44

KLR650!
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Nice companion to the C10.  Just bought an 06 with low mileage. Kinda big for true dirt bike stuff but I had a blast today on it. Found a couple of dirt roads (last of there kind around here) and 1 slimey clay rutted up from 4x4's stretch of about a mile I will not attempt again. What a blast though on 50-60MPH twisties. Felt like a kid again on a dirtbike without a liscence running the roads. Put about 100 miles on it today.

Offline jayke

Re: KLR650!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »
I bought a leftover ’09 last year.  I always wanted one.  They’re fun, totally different experience than my C14.

If you want more off-road suitable tires, try Continental  TKC-80 knobies. They work great on the road (quiet too), and have decent off-road traction.  I’ll get about 2K out of my rear, sounds horrible but I only got 3K out of the stock rear.  Just looking at mud got me stuck with the stock rear.

Check your oil regularly, some KLR’s burn a little.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:59:41 PM by jayke »

Offline booger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
Ahhh.  The KLR 650.  Only $5600 bike that I bought and put in another $4500 worth of farkles. :)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »
COG members like them. I've had a couple, and have hotrodded several for other coggers. I just finished a 688 kit and full head port job for Daytona Mike. Man, this thing runs! Steve

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
Yep, awesome bike, once I get em I'll post up some pics high centered in a cow stream.  There I was headed to an old cow herder cabin for a photo op, small slow moving stream, very short section of mud (I thought), as I got close I though hmmm, this aint right, it's 85, July in the Okanogans, and that grass looks awefully grean, I shifted weight to the rear, felt the back tire (Pireli street legal knobbies) bite, sink, and then down went the front.  I stepped off the bike into a foot of the foulest smelling mud known to man.  No rope, no winch, all we had was sticks, a few ancient boards, and wit.  We layed her on the side, made a bridge of sorts horizontal to the bike, stood her up, and walked her out.  The ride back over was another bit of fun, up a small bank, gas, and go, no problems and what a blast ;D ;D

Offline red44

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
I haven't had to push myself out of mud in a very long time, LOL. I "dropped in" twice, of those 4x4 ruts that seemed bottomless. Stayed on, but not pretty. Clay soup to the axles, bike would'nt move on it's own. My wife just shook her head when she saw me.  ;D
booger I can see how that would happen.
SISF what year is Daytona Mikes?
jayke, I'm still on stockers, just turned 2400 miles. It's my understanding that it was some 08s and 09s that had the oil burning issue, hence the bore kits.
SOP, what's this 22 cent mod? Did it improve something? I'm completely stock and seem to be running good. I'm have no history on my bike, so I'm arraging a valve check, and have ordered the doohicky kit.

Offline red44

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
SOP, I agree, what a blast!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?t=12584
.22 mod and a bunch more ;D

Great forum BTW.

Offline red44

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »
Is there really a benificial difference after the .22 mod? I'm staying with the stock exhaust, not looking to 'hop it up'  unless it's an improvement over stock.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »
Is there really a benificial difference after the .22 mod? I'm staying with the stock exhaust, not looking to 'hop it up'  unless it's an improvement over stock.
Absolutely.  Torque much sooner and a linear throttle response.  The F2F Q4 is quiet and much lighter and works great with the mod.  I'd also recommend some new pegs.  I like the MSRs.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
I bought a leftover ’09 last year.  I always wanted one.  They’re fun, totally different experience than my C14.

If you want more off-road suitable tires, try Continental  TKC-80 knobies. They work great on the road (quiet too), and have decent off-road traction.  I’ll get about 2K out of my rear, sounds horrible but I only got 3K out of the stock rear.  Just looking at mud got me stuck with the stock rear.

Check your oil regularly, some KLR’s burn a little.
And there is no oil idiot light.

Tires. I'm on my second Shinko700 on the back, the first one lasted 3800 miles. That was a loaded like a rented mule run from central FLA to near Malibu in Cal. The tire also worked better in the twistys than it should have. Quite. I like.

I had a fresh TKC80 on the front. It was trash by the time I got to Cal, sucks for a front tire, but it was not in it's element. I fitted a Shinko700 on the front, so far, 500 miles on it(more next month :thumbs: :thumbs: ) I like it so far, also corners nicely. They both are decent off road, didn't do any mud holes, though. They really aren't designed for mud. And it is a pig KLR, after all. A '98.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)