Author Topic: Something New with Ignition  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Something New with Ignition
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:06:40 AM »
Well...
This is a new one. I have always started my 01 the same way. Turn key on, confirm she is in neutral, adjust the choke, hit start button, life.
Yesterday she started to not want to even turn over, nothing,  all the electrics were normal. I had to squeze in the clutch to get her to fire.
This has happened 4 times now, all yesterday, I tried her this morning, the same thing.
I have had ignition switches get dirty and the leads needed cleaned that did this, and a neutral switch, any suggestions for a path of looking at what this  might be?
I'm having my coffee and will get into her soon, just wondering what the masses think.
Thanks for the input.
ATGATT, and ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Something New with Ignition
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
Mine does this every once in a while.  Then the next time I go to start it, all is well.  I'll be interested in any ideas anyone has on this subject.

Sometimes if I hit the starter button a few times, it goes, other times that doesn't help, so I'm suspecting the starter button contacts.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:11:14 AM »
Clean out the clutch micro switch with a hosing of WD40....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Mine does this every once in a while.  Then the next time I go to start it, all is well.  I'll be interested in any ideas anyone has on this subject.

Sometimes if I hit the starter button a few times, it goes, other times that doesn't help, so I'm suspecting the starter button contacts.

Same here, and I will +1 with T-Cro, as when this happens if I pull the clutch in she fires right up.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
Yep,
Pulled the wire clip from its mount under the clutch master cylinder. Used Radio Shack Tuner  / Lubricant cleaner to re-lube the 3 slot clip. Plugged back in, shazzzzaaammmmm, she's all good now.  :)
But then the rear brake light switch went south, that one is a $14 replacement part, no cleaning that sealed little unit.  :'(
Ride safe all, and ATGATT please.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
the spritz is the key, and 99% of the time it works, just as a side note, if in doubt on the microswitch, insert a temporary jumper between the 2 wires when you pull the connector off, as a "test" this will let you know if it was the switch.
as for the brake switch, check to see if it got out of adjustment, they do that, disconnect the leads first, and play with the adjuster nut that holds the unit in place. I have removed them and spryed them down forcefully also, resurecting them.  ;)
 Most times people try to adjust the length of pull without disconnecting the wires, this has detrimental results....the wires tend to twist up and break. :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
The rear brake switch isn't sealed. If you remove it you can blast your magic stuff in it. I took mine apart and reassembled it.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1