Author Topic: Cut down windscreen  (Read 27041 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Cut down windscreen
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 02:32:04 PM »
Damn you sas, now I have no choice but to be a sheep and follow you.  :banghead: :banghead:
Your an evil man.
Looks damn good though, nice job
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
Damn you sas, now I have no choice but to be a sheep and follow you.  :banghead: :banghead:
Your an evil man.
Looks damn good though, nice job

LOL thanks. OBTW this is about 10-15 very light coats.

Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline yoman

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Looks good,  better without the "peak".
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
I never get tired of seeing pics of that white bike. Looking good.

I never get tired of seeing that avatar... ;D.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
That really looks good!!!!   :thumbs:

To that are considering cutting a shield.
After cutting,,,  for the final edge preparation,
Use a block of wood wrapped in sandpaper to shape and to get the final finish on the edge.
Start with a rough sandpaper to shape the edge and finish with a fine grit...

Easy to do.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2011, 09:12:04 AM »
Looks terrific! Do you know that your missing a fastner on the lower right(facing the bike)?
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
Yep!! I had to drill that one out.  On order from murphs'.

Cheers
Ron
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:16:05 PM by sas mayhem »
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Tele130

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
Nice job Ron.  Don't ya just love the clean airflow now? :thumbs:  My shield was so scratched up that I had to pain the inside & outside.  If I want to go a little overboard, I have a buddy that owns a custom bike paint shop.  He'll clean it up, paint it to match the '06 blue and lay a clear plastic protective film on it.

Will I go that route?  Na,................a little sand paper, a quick shot from the rattle can and she's good to go!!!!  ;D

Oh yea, I used "Rust-oleum's Hammered" effect paint (it has little dimples in the paint...........almost like a uniform "Orange Peel" effect).  Road debri damage will be less noticeable.  Or so I'm hoping. :o
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 10:52:41 AM »
Nice job Ron.  Don't ya just love the clean airflow now? :thumbs:  My shield was so scratched up that I had to pain the inside & outside.  If I want to go a little overboard, I have a buddy that owns a custom bike paint shop.  He'll clean it up, paint it to match the '06 blue and lay a clear plastic protective film on it.

Will I go that route?  Na,................a little sand paper, a quick shot from the rattle can and she's good to go!!!!  ;D

Oh yea, I used "Rust-oleum's Hammered" effect paint (it has little dimples in the paint...........almost like a uniform "Orange Peel" effect).  Road debri damage will be less noticeable.  Or so I'm hoping. :o

Yes I love it !!! The air flow is so clean and the unstable feeling for the wash from trucks has gone down ten fold.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
What dremel bit did you guys use?  I have a dremel but haven't used it a lot.  Yes, I am a newbie, just got my C10 (FZ1 can't do bags AND a passenger, it's OR, but it's still fun on Sunday mornings!).  My brother has had 2 C10's since 1994 and has totally drank the KoolAid.  Just did a nice 200 mile ride with the gf the other day and other than the heat (90 degree day) and the buffeting, it's great, really like the bike.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »
Dremel has one that looks kind of like a stretched out 1/8" drill bit.  I got mine from Walmart.  It was specifically listed as for cutting plastic or something similarly worded.  It was on a hanging card, maybe $5.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

enim57

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
I never get tired of seeing pics of that white bike. Looking good.

Thank you.

I never get tired of seeing that avatar... ;D.

Thank you.

Regards, Russell

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
I have a cut down screen but it puts the air right on my face shield making for an extremely noisy ride. Do you guys cut them down so that the wind is hitting your neck or lower?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
I have a cut down screen but it puts the air right on my face shield making for an extremely noisy ride. Do you guys cut them down so that the wind is hitting your neck or lower?

How could it possibly be louder than stock?  I had a 2nd Gen Bandit 1200S with a small screen and never even noticed the wind. Then I put on a ZG Sport touring screen and got buffeting and noise like you wouldn't believe.  Back on went the stock screen. My FZ1 is quiet as can be.  I got this Connie with a stock screen and thought I had died and went to hell.  How do/did they get away with selling a bike with that bad of a windscreen AND the worst gas gauge ever? Did they even ride these things? 
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
If I stand on the pegs or crouch behind the screen to get out of the blast, it's much quieter; just like riding my windscreen-less old Yamaha. I agree the stock windshield is not the best, but in my case anyway, it's way quieter than the shorty.

Maybe I should lop off another five inches from the shorty and see what that does. Couldn't hurt.  :)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
My 13" shield puts the wind at chest and shoulder level. Perfect with a mesh jacket.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
My 13" shield puts the wind at chest and shoulder level. Perfect with a mesh jacket.

Dittto, for me too.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
I just measured mine - it's 16" at center. Maybe not so shorty after all. :D

Three inches are coming off. I'll try that.

BTW, I'm 6'1". How tall are you guys using the 13" shields?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »

I'm 5'9"

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie

Offline Tele130

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
I just measured mine - it's 16" at center. Maybe not so shorty after all. :D

Three inches are coming off. I'll try that.

Mine is 14" from center. I'm 6'2".  I think Chris is around 6'1".
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!