Author Topic: Metal roof and mad as hell!  (Read 37282 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Metal roof
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
I don't see why not. They are mounted directly to the roof. I would however wear soft soled shoes if it were me. Just don't walk on the ridges.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:41:09 PM by timsatx »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
No experience with metal roofs but I have always found it interesting that they are a regional thing; virtually unknown in southern New England, they are the common roof material in northern New England. That is actually changing a bit lately with a few showing up here (southern N.E.) in the last few years.

I am right in the middle of the 'terror phase' with my roof- it needs a new roof also, but am not yet sure how far down. Worst case possible will be all the way down to the walls :-( 

Brian

Anyone here ever have a metal roof installed on their house? My wife and I installed the shingled roof we now have (that's right, just the two of us) and it's time for a new roof (unrelated to the recent storm) and we'll be having a standing seam (concealed fastener) system installed sometime in the next couple of months.

We're not doing the install this time as my wife refuses to get on the roof again, EVER.

https://www.pac-clad.com/metal-roofing/snap-clad/
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
Can you actually 'walk' on a metal roof without damage to the panels?

I asked the same question and the answer is yes. But the panels can be VERY slippery when wet.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »
That is nothing really problematic though....

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/22/x-men-fan-invents-magnetic-shoes-so-he-can-walk-on-ceilings-but-only-metal-ones-4737271/

Brian

I asked the same question and the answer is yes. But the panels can be VERY slippery when wet.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 05:36:45 AM »
I don't see why not. They are mounted directly to the roof. I would however wear soft soled shoes if it were me. Just don't walk on the ridges.

In some applications they will still put battens and attach the metal to the battens.  That provides an air gap between the metal and the structure.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:33 AM »
I agree there. You might ask the installer for info. I know I found this for one installer:
Protective heavy-duty gloves should be worn when handling metal panels and trim.  Safety
goggles and hearing protection should be worn while cutting or drilling panels.  Extreme
care should be used when walking, standing, sitting, or kneeling on a metal roof.  They can
be extremely slippery when wet.  When walking on the roof panels, walk only on the flats. 
Traffic over the installed system must be kept to an absolute minimum.  Installers should
wear rubber sole shoes to keep from scuffing material while walking on the roof.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 07:36:48 AM »
Conrad,
I'm pretty familiar with them. Installed one on my parents house a while back.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of hail, I know it costs more, but everyone around Oklahoma recommends spending the extra $$ and going with the heavier guage sheet metal. Less prone to hail damage/dents.

Usually, once the liner material has been laid on the roof, there's 1"x4" planking that's nailed/screwed on before the metal goes on... but not always. Most metal companies want this, and affects warranty.
Walking on this type of installation becomes more tricky, to avoid denting, since it's raised.

But, I will say, it goes on fast, and lasts.
And, as someone else stated, helps to externally fireproof the roof. Now, it doesn't help if a fire is internally started... But say a neighbor's house nearby catches on fire, or a grassfire happens, or flying embers from a fireplace happens to land on your metal roof... It helps.

But, as mentioned... it's a lot slicker to get on! Roof pitch can really make a difference.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
I've had one on my house for about eight years. Still looks great. As a matter of fact, if you want to see mine, it's on the Mueller website on the CF (concealed fastener) page.
http://www.muellerinc.com/metal-roofing/panel-types/cf-panel
I've got some other pictures that Mueller took of my house that were taken from a cherry picker way up in the air, if anyone is interested. There are a couple more in their photo gallery.
http://www.muellerinc.com/gallery/roofing/photos/metal-roofing/cf-saddle-leather-brown-04/cf-saddle-leather-brown-1-216#joomimg

You can get a pretty hefty discount on your homeowner insurance as long as you sign a cosmetic waiver that they only have to repair when it leaks, not just dented. I can tell you that I've had some pretty good Texas hail storms and you can't see any dents at all. If you think about it, the steel is pretty much laying directly on the decking, so there's not much flex to cause a dent when something hits it. I've always been told that you just have to wait for a really hot day (not unusual down here) for any dents to pop out.

They're expensive, but in my case it has almost paid for itself in my reduced insurance cost. I think my original calculations were that it would take eight or nine years to pay for the difference between a metal roof and a standard shingle roof. Quite a few of my neighbors have them.

Mueller offers a 20 or 30 year paint warranty. I don't know if that includes fading, but I'm pretty sure mine hasn't changed much in spite of the Texas sun/heat.

They're slick to walk on, even when dry. You get a fine layer of dust on them and they're like a ski slope. Get them wet and I wouldn't even think about going up there.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
We did our family's house when I was a teenager (a long time ago) and the best thing I remember using was the gloves with the little rubber nubs on the palms and fingers - sometimes hard to get a good grip on a sheet, especially the longer (heavier) ones...   Rubberized kneepads were helpful too...

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
Anyplace else wearing rubber helps when doing this kind of work?

:popcorn: :censored:

Brian

We did our family's house when I was a teenager (a long time ago) and the best thing I remember using was the gloves with the little rubber nubs on the palms and fingers - sometimes hard to get a good grip on a sheet, especially the longer (heavier) ones...   Rubberized kneepads were helpful too...

Jamie

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 04:47:26 AM »
Conrad,
I'm pretty familiar with them. Installed one on my parents house a while back.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of hail, I know it costs more, but everyone around Oklahoma recommends spending the extra $$ and going with the heavier guage sheet metal. Less prone to hail damage/dents.

Usually, once the liner material has been laid on the roof, there's 1"x4" planking that's nailed/screwed on before the metal goes on... but not always. Most metal companies want this, and affects warranty.
Walking on this type of installation becomes more tricky, to avoid denting, since it's raised.

But, I will say, it goes on fast, and lasts.
And, as someone else stated, helps to externally fireproof the roof. Now, it doesn't help if a fire is internally started... But say a neighbor's house nearby catches on fire, or a grassfire happens, or flying embers from a fireplace happens to land on your metal roof... It helps.

But, as mentioned... it's a lot slicker to get on! Roof pitch can really make a difference.

The metal that's going on my roof will be 24 gauge and this system is designed to go right over top of the decking, with the rubber membrane in between of course. Two of the other quotes that I got had the spacers under the metal along with the plastic battens as well. Those two quotes were ~30% higher than the quotes without the spacers and battens. I did question this and double checked with the warranty requirements on the system that will be used on my house. As I said, this system is designed to be used without the spacers and battens.  It also has a 20 year fade warranty.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 04:52:48 AM »
I've had one on my house for about eight years. Still looks great. As a matter of fact, if you want to see mine, it's on the Mueller website on the CF (concealed fastener) page.
http://www.muellerinc.com/metal-roofing/panel-types/cf-panel
I've got some other pictures that Mueller took of my house that were taken from a cherry picker way up in the air, if anyone is interested. There are a couple more in their photo gallery.
http://www.muellerinc.com/gallery/roofing/photos/metal-roofing/cf-saddle-leather-brown-04/cf-saddle-leather-brown-1-216#joomimg

You can get a pretty hefty discount on your homeowner insurance as long as you sign a cosmetic waiver that they only have to repair when it leaks, not just dented. I can tell you that I've had some pretty good Texas hail storms and you can't see any dents at all. If you think about it, the steel is pretty much laying directly on the decking, so there's not much flex to cause a dent when something hits it. I've always been told that you just have to wait for a really hot day (not unusual down here) for any dents to pop out.

They're expensive, but in my case it has almost paid for itself in my reduced insurance cost. I think my original calculations were that it would take eight or nine years to pay for the difference between a metal roof and a standard shingle roof. Quite a few of my neighbors have them.

Mueller offers a 20 or 30 year paint warranty. I don't know if that includes fading, but I'm pretty sure mine hasn't changed much in spite of the Texas sun/heat.

They're slick to walk on, even when dry. You get a fine layer of dust on them and they're like a ski slope. Get them wet and I wouldn't even think about going up there.

Thanks for the info and the pics Wally, your house looks great! What color is that?

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 11:34:27 AM »
Thanks for the info and the pics Wally, your house looks great! What color is that?

It's called Saddle Leather Brown. I think mine has a 20 year paint warranty. The 30 year warranty is only available on a limited number of colors and my color is the one that SWMBO wanted.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 05:00:31 AM »
It's called Saddle Leather Brown. I think mine has a 20 year paint warranty. The 30 year warranty is only available on a limited number of colors and my color is the one that SWMBO wanted.

Yeah, I know how that goes with SWMBO. Happy wife happy life.

I'd like a lighter more reflective color but she would like a dark color. It's not that big a deal to me so she can have her dark color. Besides, the med bronze is one of the company's 'cool colors'. Meaning that it's been treated with a reflective coating of some kind and it stays cooler in the sun than it would otherwise be.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 05:37:07 AM »
My metal roofing job was started on 7/24. The tear off crew showed up that Friday and did their thing in less than 5 hours. Tore off the old roofing materials, replaced any decking that needed it, and then covered the entire roof with a ice/water membrane. The did a crappy job and I had to go up on the roof after they left and the pull nails out that were left sticking through the membrane and then patch the holes. 90 holes on one side of the roof!

On 7/25 the metal guys showed up, only two men!  >:(

A job that was supposed to take two days is now going on it's second week!!! WTF!!!

If that wasn't bad enough, the :censored: guy who was supposed to know what he's doing, doesn't. I am SO :censored: mad over this!!! Plus it looks like they didn't order enough metal to finish the job, they are short two 20 foot pieces. I'll be calling the owner of the company today and demand that he come and look at the poor job that his man has done. I have a bad feeling that I'll be calling my lawyer over this. I paid half of the cost of the roof up front with the remainder due at completion.

Anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Metal roof and mad as hell!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 06:06:52 AM »
What a hassle, C. You been taking pictures?

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
When you discovered the fasteners thru the membrane they should have been back replacing it all.
Unfortunately, it seems the salesmanship of contracting has gotten to be more of a "skill" than those employed to do the work. Not much in the form of craftsmanship in the trades anymore from what I see. A skilled installer or craftsman is getting to be a thing of the past, and its too bad. 
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 11:21:48 AM »
Did you go through the manufacturer to get an installer, or did you go through an installer that uses that brand of roofing? Just curious.

I would have been calling the manager when I had the first problem with the nails.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
Yeah, I have lots of pics and I documented everything.

I spoke with the owner this morning and he was aware that the job is short two long sections of metal. He claims that the metal will be here on Wednesday. How it got ordered and done in time to be here on Wednesday I don't know. They must have known of the shortage from the start.

I went through my list of concerns with him over the phone and he's coming by on Wednesday so that I can show him exactly what I'm talking about. He tells me that the guy who did the estimate is partly to blame for the shortage and for the job taking WAY longer than it should have. He says that's no excuse but there it is. The estimator not only screwed up the amount of materials needed but also how long the job should take. The owner says that the job was estimated to take 42 hours for a two man team (after the tear off) and is now at 58 hours and counting. He says that he's loosing money on this job but when it's done I'll be 100% satisfied. I doubt that...

I've come to find out that the guy leading the two man team that's doing the install is actually working this job as a side job and he has a full time day job that he works during the day and that's why he can't work on my roof full time, he only works on it during the evenings and the weekends. WTF?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:28 PM »
Did you go through the manufacturer to get an installer, or did you go through an installer that uses that brand of roofing? Just curious.

I would have been calling the manager when I had the first problem with the nails.

I checked with several people that I know that had roofs installed and asked for their recommendations. My wife did the same and from there I selected three companies with high ratings to come and give me an estimate. As it turns out, the company that I initially liked the best, and had the best rating, ended up having the lowest bid. No brainer right? Wrong.

Here's another thing that should have been a red flag for me. It turns out that the estimator showed me the wrong metal product for our roof. Not wrong really but it was a heaver gauge (24 instead of 26) commercial roofing product. This was written into the contract but I was charged for a 26 gauge residential metal. The owner told me of this goof up a while back and that his company would have to eat at least $2k because of this mistake. Things that make you go hmmmm.