Author Topic: texting while driving  (Read 18497 times)

Offline tidewatergirl

• Arena
texting while driving
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Someone who loves me ask me never to text while driving again. He ask how I would feel if I hurt someone or worse. I am sharing some graphic images that got my attention today. If you have someone you love that is a little hard headed or silly please this on. It really shocked and shook me! Thank you to the someone who loves me....I will never again do something this stupid.

http://makingnewsrightnow.blogspot.com/2009/04/graphic-photos-this-is-why-you-dont.html

If you need further encourage you can tap on the images to make them larger...I did and wish I had not.

On the blue shore of silence

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: texting while driving
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
I coulda done without that.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
Been there, seen that.
My son, the Firefighter / Paramedic gave me a call last Oct. He was on a crash scene and it was just down the road from the house.
A local Mother of 4 was texting and she did the left of center also, in a Taurus wagon. She went head-on with a huge Rumpke Trash truck. It had a monster Kenworth cab. She came out in 4 pieces. The only good thing was she didn't have the kids with her, if you can call that a good thing.
She was texting with her husband who was at home waiting for her, she had KFC for dinner for them.
A very sad thing to see and experience.
ATGATT all, everyone ride safe.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
Yeah, that's mighty gross.  Death isn't pretty.   

People need to stop living in a dream land where they believe they are invulnerable.  We need to be reminded that we humans are just a soft pink goo on some sticks, and the world is a hard, sharp place. 

Perhaps if those pics were on the front page of every news paper, and on TV at every news broadcast and in the hallways of every highschool we might see a reduction of this type of folly. 

Every night coming home from work I see at least a dozen or so texters and maybe 1/3 of all drivers are phoning, even with our state laws against it.  They just don't care.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline NDCUNIONGUY

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:16:49 AM »
Perhaps if those pics were on the front page of every news paper, and on TV at every news broadcast and in the hallways of every highschool we might see a reduction of this type of folly. 

+1 on the new PSA campaign.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:29 AM »
Wouldn't help a bit.
"That won't happen to me, I can text and drive, no problem".
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline oldkid

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
Someone who loves me ask me never to text while driving again.

Hey TWG, take this to heart. This someone cares enough about your safety and well being to call you down on this.

FG

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:32 AM »
I don't know, I'm not sure I like the idea of going on campaigns over single minor issues of stupidity that can get you killed.  There are a LOT of stupid things you can do while driving that can have the same end result.  The subject in the photos just wasn't paying attention.  I suspect his ticket would have come up eventually, cell phone or not.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
I don't know, I'm not sure I like the idea of going on campaigns over single minor issues of stupidity that can get you killed.  There are a LOT of stupid things you can do while driving that can have the same end result.  The subject in the photos just wasn't paying attention.  I suspect his ticket would have come up eventually, cell phone or not.

If a texting driver killed one of your loved ones because of the texter's stupidity, I'll bet it wouldn't be a minor issue to you any longer.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
I was passed on Interstate 20 by a "kid" on a 600 sportbike the other day. First off, he was in shorts and a t-shirt, but with a helmet. Stupid enough already, but he was also texting with his left hand while twisting his right wrist at about 80 mph.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
I was passed on Interstate 20 by a "kid" on a 600 sportbike the other day. First off, he was in shorts and a t-shirt, but with a helmet. Stupid enough already, but he was also texting with his left hand while twisting his right wrist at about 80 mph.

I'm sure that it must have been a VERY important text! Like maybe asking his mom what was for dinner?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
If a texting driver killed one of your loved ones because of the texter's stupidity, I'll bet it wouldn't be a minor issue to you any longer.

But that's not my point - of course I would be angered at the texter's stupidity, for not paying attention to driving.  But he could have been reading a comic book, playing Nintendo, reaching for the french fry he dropped while eating, pleasuring himself, etc....

All of which are a bad idea to do while driving and all have probably resulted in fatal accidents at some point in time.  So which one do you pick to start a crusade on?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
My EVO 4G is mounted on a RAM on my bike.  I use it for GPS and of course have never ever watched live TV (such as MotoGP racing), texted, emailed, Youtube, browsed the web, listened to MP3's, nor anything else that "distracts from driving/riding a vehicle".

It thrills me to know I'm on such an internet forum with 100% angels and perfect people  that have never allowed themselves to be distracted by anything while operating a vehicle. Unfortunately I'm not in the perfect category and have done some crazy fun "distracting" things while rolling down the road in a car.

Rock on.... I'll get serious in next thread   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
Texting/talking on cell phones while driving is so out of control, those that disagree are in serious denial. And it has been the sole cause of many deaths and serious injuries.........."PERIOD".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
I'm sure that it must have been a VERY important text! Like maybe asking his mom what was for dinner?

Squid?
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
Was just driving home tonight from a camping trip and a young lady came into my lane, missing me by less than a foot. She was texting and didn't even bother to stop after the near miss.
'99 C-10

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »
Nowadays, when I see someone do something ranging from just a little hincky to flat stupid, when I get next to them invariably they are futzing around with a phone, at least 90%.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 06:46:57 AM »
3 of em yesterday, NOT a record.  Young girls are the absolute worst offenders.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
3 of em yesterday, NOT a record.  Young girls are the absolute worst offenders.

The older wiminz stay on the lipstick/makeup and have for years on their morning commute. Whats the difference?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine