Author Topic: Top Block Racing - side sliders and tip over protection  (Read 72819 times)

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
Re: Top Block Racing - side sliders and tip over protection
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 03:14:31 AM »
Remus Hexacone Ti?  :chugbeer:

yeah, "she" deserves it  :) :) :), i also chopped off the Cat making the sound deeper

at

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
Here you go with the Top-block Sliders.

at

They look great AT!  :chugbeer:

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
I'm reading this post for the first time, and as I go through it I can't believe nobody has addressed the obvious.  If the bike falls over it's going to mess up those nice looking "sliders".  At around $600, whats the point of having them.  I doubt if it would cost any more to replace the fairing side panel that its designed to protect.  Am I missing something?  I don't read french so I didn't spend any time looking at their site, but the only plausible answer I have is if it has an inexpensive plastic cover that can be replaced.  But if not, why spend money on a $600 part to save a $600 part?  While my numbers may be off, I'm sure ya'll see my point.  Any thoughts?

There are falls, and there are falls. A fall where the bike goes down while in motion, during an accident, is going to tear up the bike no matter what sliders may be installed. Sliders will limit the extent of the damage internally in that scenario but the fairing will be toast. However, in a fall like the one I had last year (that is, a lost balance "fall" where I was able to set the bike down without it slamming onto the pavement), the sliders are worth their weight in gold.

I lost my balance on what is called "chipped seal" pavement (essentially pea-size gravel held together with a tar binder; very cheap compared to asphault) because the car park had a lot of loose gravel on the pavement surface, and the area was not level. I put my foot out to steady the bike and my foot slid in the gravel. Down the bike went. After a panic moment where I saw very expensive repair invoices flash before my eyes, I looked the bike over and discovered that other than the bottom of the slider, no part of the bike fairing - including side bags - was touching the ground. And better still, once I got the bike back to vertical (with the help of a passer-by due to the angle of the pavement), I looked over the slider plastic and saw that the only damage was a slight impression at the bottom. Looking down to the slider from above, no damage was visible.

Without that $600 slider installed, that situation would have likely resulted in bodywork being required for side fairing, right mirror, and right saddlebag. Not cheap at all.

After that incident I added the bolt-on sliders to the front axle and at the rear just for good measure.

-Wanderlust
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »
I have long legs and always planned to install police style crash bars and add cheap clamp on highway pegs.

Has anybody done this? I would like to see a pic of highway pegs one of these.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
That's what insurance is for.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
That's what insurance is for.

Having Top Block on my Connie is insurance...  :)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
The price here looks pretty good...I did not contact them about shipping to the USA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190474501560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
The price here looks pretty good...I did not contact them about shipping to the USA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190474501560?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I priced em both when I got mine RC, the to door cost was within $80 IIRC... I ended up going with the Top Block (actually they're both Top Block, they made them for Kawi) because I wanted all black without the white Kawi badge.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »

I priced em both when I got mine RC, the to door cost was within $80 IIRC... I ended up going with the Top Block (actually they're both Top Block, they made them for Kawi) because I wanted all black without the white Kawi badge.

what?! you liked black? why didn't you say so?  ???
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »

;D

Oh Martin...  :battle:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »

Yeah, really.  I am shocked to learn this new information!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »

I did contact them and the answer was......NO!

I'm sorry but we only post within the UK. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards.

- admcparts

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
Call me crazy if you will, but if I'm sitting on multiple sets of 700.00 side guards, I MIGHT find a way to ship them anywhere except maybe Nigeria.  Actually, dont you feel sorry for the Nigerian guy trying to get his Vintage KZ900 running again?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
Totally agree, at $560.00 plus shipping at $50.00 that is still only $610.00, and that is close enough to the McEnterprise bars to justify it IMO.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
* What is missing in this thread are some good pictures of the Top Block installed on a 2010+.

* It was mentioned that the design is different from the 2008/9 and "not as nice".   How are they different?

* Someone else mentioned there were installation instructions somewhere out there.  Where?  I just don't understand how these can be mounted without drilling holes in the fairing....
---- EDIT---
OOps, I answered some of my own questions from that OTHER forum search results:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/topblock

Yep, the 2010+ version of the Top Block is much less attractive than the older model.  Yep, requires drilling.  They are really not making this an easy decision (not as attractive, way expensive, no USA dealer, extra fees and risk, drilling fairing)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:37:04 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
* What is missing in this thread are some good pictures of the Top Block installed on a 2010+.

* It was mentioned that the design is different from the 2008/9 and "not as nice".   How are they different?

* Someone else mentioned there were installation instructions somewhere out there.  Where?  I just don't understand how these can be mounted without drilling holes in the fairing....
---- EDIT---
OOps, I answered some of my own questions from that OTHER forum search results:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/topblock

Yep, the 2010+ version of the Top Block is much less attractive than the older model.  Yep, requires drilling.  They are really not making this an easy decision (not as attractive, way expensive, no USA dealer, extra fees and risk, drilling fairing)

Max, here's my advice bro...

Deep breath, exhale out... drink somewhere between 1 and 12 beers, then email Tatiana your order! Just trust me for once will ya?? I wouldn't steer ya wrong man, I promise...  ;D

Offline marku8a

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:31 PM »

Max, here's my advice bro...

Deep breath, exhale out... drink somewhere between 1 and 12 beers, then email Tatiana your order! Just trust me for once will ya?? I wouldn't steer ya wrong man, I promise...  ;D

ZG - I have tried to contact Top Block a half dozen times over a few months with no response. I took your advice about Tatiana a few weeks ago. Still no luck. I have no idea what the deal is. Do you have some special contact information?

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:05 PM »
ZG - I have tried to contact Top Block a half dozen times over a few months with no response. I took your advice about Tatiana a few weeks ago. Still no luck. I have no idea what the deal is. Do you have some special contact information?

Mark

Did you email her at commercial@top-block.com??

That is how I was always able to reach her... Before getting her email address l just reached out to Top Block through their website, which is how I then got an email from her which is how I got her email adress.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

Did you email her at commercial@top-block.com??

That is how I was always able to reach her... Before getting her email address l just reached out to Top Block through their website, which is how I then got an email from her which is how I got her email adress.

Is that the whole email address or do you have to add her name to it? (Like tatiana.commercial@top-block.com)

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »
Is that the whole email address or do you have to add her name to it? (Like tatiana.commercial@top-block.com)

Mark

Nope, just commercial@top-block.com

I'm guessing it's a group email, not person specific, but I would always got replies from Tatiana. Did you try doing a query through their website?

It boggles my mind that folks have such a tough time getting through to them, I did not have that problem at all...  ???