Author Topic: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)  (Read 28125 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Re: Differences between English and English (UK vs. US)
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 01:51:53 PM »
something not mentioned so far relates to buildings and where you enter them from street level.

Now we quite logically call that "Ground Level" not first floor ;

Although to cause confusion the Heath Hospital in Cardiff has an Upper Ground floor, a ground floor and a lower ground floor plus a basement and floors 1 to 4 (not 1 through 4)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
and why do you insist on calling the liquid fuel used in vehicles "gas"?

A gas powered car is on that runs on something like hydrogen or even LPG  :)
--

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »
Yeah, you call the second floor the first floor. Sorry Mike but I have to call you 'wrong' on this one. If you have a two floor house, and remove the first floor, are you not left with (gets out calculator and......) zero floors? Where is the first step on the ladder, the second one up? What about a multi- story building, is the 'first' floor on top of the 'other  first' floor?

;)

Brian

something not mentioned so far relates to buildings and where you enter them from street level.

Although to cause confusion the Heath Hospital in Cardiff has an Upper Ground floor, a ground floor and a lower ground floor plus a basement and floors 1 to 4 (not 1 through 4)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »
The lowest floor should be named "Ground / 1".

After all, it does have a floor, which is not just the ground (dirt).

For buildings on a side hill where the actual ground on one side of the bldg is higher or lower than the other by the height of 1 floor (or more), and yet the higher side is the main entrance/front of the building ... I dunno, call the lower level "Floor -1" or since that looks like "Floor dash one", spell it out "Floor Number Negative one".

???

;D

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
You're left with a bungalow :)
WHich still has its ground floor as you have taken the first floor away.

Actually many modern lifts/buildings use 0 for the Ground floor rather than G

Nope the second floor is on top of the first floor then the third and so on

Yeah, you call the second floor the first floor. Sorry Mike but I have to call you 'wrong' on this one. If you have a two floor house, and remove the first floor, are you not left with (gets out calculator and......) zero floors? Where is the first step on the ladder, the second one up? What about a multi- story building, is the 'first' floor on top of the 'other  first' floor?

;)

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »
numbers

is this seventy six hundred or seven thousand six hundred ?

what about 7633?

Also our billion has been devalued. It used to be a million million but more recently we have adopted the US convention of a thousand million. Same goes for a trillion which used to be a million million million

--

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 02:49:50 PM »

Either is universally understood in the U.S.

what about 7633?

Seven thousand six hundred and thirty-three. Seventy six hundred and thirty-three, while technically it works, I don't think many people use it.

Also our billion has been devalued. It used to be a million million but more recently we have adopted the US convention of a thousand million. Same goes for a trillion which used to be a million million million

What?? Where did it go? You lost a million, and nobody is out there looking for it??  :o

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »

What?? Where did it go? You lost a million, and nobody is out there looking for it??  :o

on the bright side our gallon is still the correct size , 4.54 litres as  opposed to 3.78 for the US Gallon :)
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
I've always called them roundabouts.  Never called them rotaries.

Here, I have never heard them called anything but "traffic circles".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_circle
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »

Again, that is a toss-up.  Here, it seems to be an even mix between "ground" and "1".  They are typically used interchangeably, with basement being "B" or a number with it indicating a negative floor.  Examples:

B, 1, 2
B, G, 2
B3, B2, B1, G, 2, 3
B3, B2, B1, 1, 2, 3

I have almost never seen something like  B, G, 1, 2  in the USA (and personally, I would find that very odd and illogical).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
and why do you insist on calling the liquid fuel used in vehicles "gas"?

A gas powered car is on that runs on something like hydrogen or even LPG  :)

"Gas" doesn't mean "a gas", in this context, it is just short for "gasoline"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
As already stated, either would do here in the US.

But seeing as you mention million, billion, etc., here is a difference:

In the US, we would call ten million dollars (or tiddlywinks, whatever) "ten million". I have noticed a British to refer to it as 'millions' and so the quote would be "ten millions". In the US, the multiple is already implied once one has gone beyond two (or apparently, the third floor of a UK dwelling, assuming a building with a 'first floor' is a single story place).

And by the way, as you call a rental apartment a 'flat', does that distinguish it from something else? Do Brits. live in round places sometimes? Bent places? Not sure why the word "flat" as a name for a rented dwelling space. ?? Were most of them crooked in the olden' days?

Brian

numbers

what about 7633?

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2018, 04:46:52 PM »
Nope, I would say "10 million tiddlywinks" however I would also use "millions of tiddlywinks" as an abstract.

Hmmm"flat", good question as to the origin, "apartment" is used in the more upmarket end (some might say pretentious) of the housing stock.

Ah it appears the word "flat" may come from the old english "flett" meaning floor and relates to the living accommodation being all on one level.

Why are "apartments" called that as they aren't "apart" from anything ;)

As already stated, either would do here in the US.

But seeing as you mention million, billion, etc., here is a difference:

In the US, we would call ten million dollars (or tiddlywinks, whatever) "ten million". I have noticed a British to refer to it as 'millions' and so the quote would be "ten millions". In the US, the multiple is already implied once one has gone beyond two (or apparently, the third floor of a UK dwelling, assuming a building with a 'first floor' is a single story place).

And by the way, as you call a rental apartment a 'flat', does that distinguish it from something else? Do Brits. live in round places sometimes? Bent places? Not sure why the word "flat" as a name for a rented dwelling space. ?? Were most of them crooked in the olden' days?

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
"Gas" doesn't mean "a gas", in this context, it is just short for "gasoline"

I know that but there is a potential for confusion :D
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »
If you told me you filled your car with gas I wouldn't think you farted in your gashole.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2018, 04:59:39 PM »
If you told me you filled your car with gas I wouldn't think you farted in your gashole.
or trumped ;)
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
I know that but there is a potential for confusion :D

It wouldn't be English without confusion!

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2018, 09:07:41 AM »
I’m a little late to this discussion, but here on the west coast, we have always called them “roundabouts”.  Officially, I think they’re called “traffic circles”.  They are popping up more and more often, but some folks still have a hard time getting used to them. (Especially the elderly).  I love them.

I suspected they were more efficient than four-way stops, but I also think they cause less wear and tear on your vehicle and save gas (or petrol) by having only to slow down rather than come to a complete stop and start again).  So roundabouts are a win-win. 

I think part of the problem for local governments in using them more is that they cost more money to build because they take up more space, resulting in more road material, rather than simply putting up stop signs and limit lines. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
Ah it appears the word "flat" may come from the old english "flett" meaning floor and relates to the living accommodation being all on one level.
Why are "apartments" called that as they aren't "apart" from anything ;)

Some answers: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-apartments-called-Apartments-if-theyre-not-apart

The term flat is still very much in use here in the states, but localized to mostly Chicago. It may appear occasionally in other large dense eastern and midwestern cities, but to a lesser extent.
If there is only one apartment on each floor it is often called a flat. The building itself is usually referred to as a "3 flat" or what ever number of floors there are with "flat" at the end. 2 and 3 flats dominate, but sometimes there are 4 flats which usually have a basement flat. "Flat buildings" are usually on inner city narrow lots. Usually if there are multiple apartments on each floor it is referred to as an apartment building. There are of course exceptions where a "flat" floor has been converted (sometimes illegally) to a front and rear "flats" or "studio flats".

In a building with "flats", it is usually assumed that there is no elevator/lift. I'm not sure where the term "walk ups" comes from, I always assumed it was a New York City thing.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
And since nobody has mentioned this yet,

Can we (Americans) please, for the love of God, follow suit with the rest of the world and SWITCH TO THE METRIC SYSTEM?  I mean, the English invented the English system and even they use the metric system?  Am I right???  Can I get an Amen??
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.