Author Topic: petcock leaking again  (Read 5963 times)

Offline mellow yellow

petcock leaking again
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »
Hello all, Don't know if anyone has experienced this also. But my petcock is leaking again even though I rebuilt it 2 yrs. ago. when I stop riding it during the winter time, I leave it on the side stand since I have a bad back and can't get it on the center stand anymore. the only other option would be to empty the tank prior to hibernating the bike for the winter. but this might cause rusting to the interior of the tank. can anyone suggest any other tips? Thanks

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: petcock leaking again
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
many times these rebuilds don't hold. you should replace the petcock as this is the first line of defense against a hydrolock and fire.

you can also just empty the tank and coat the tank with some oil for storage. that will help stop rust.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:29:59 PM »
a lot depends on the condition of the petcock.  I just tried rebuilding an old one and found that due to the age and corrosion on the metal, even rebuilding it was not a solution.  it still leaked.  I took it apart and re-built a couple times and still no luck.  I'm going with a new one.

Murph sells a replacement, or you could source your own.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=140&osCsid=dC7Lk5UMb74sA6aQPF3pc2

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
thanks for the responses. I purchased a rebuild kit from Murph's earlier before posting. will give it one more go. if it still leaks, will purchase a new one.

Offline route66tc

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:20:08 AM »
thanks for the responses. I purchased a rebuild kit from Murph's earlier before posting. will give it one more go. if it still leaks, will purchase a new one.
It has been mentioned before that you might want to stretch the spring out a bit to aid in closing the valve.  You might also get a brass brush for a dremel and polish the port to aid in sealing.  I replaced my petcock with oem last year.  Didn't want to burn money buying rebuild kits with a good possibility of failure.  HTH

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:40:52 AM »
I rebuilt the petcock yesterday and started bike up. no leaks. my other question is, if there was a hydrolock situation wouldn't the bike not run? Thanks

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 05:50:43 AM »
If it had hydolocked the second you hit the starter you would know it.

Go to the local small engine shop. Get a Briggs and Stratton inline shutoff valve. They are usually displayed on a big piece of cardboard with about ten of them on it. About 6 bux.
Use that and never worry about hydrolock.
I have been using them for years.
Its a cheap, easy fix.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline sport rider

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
congrats on the rebuild!  my new one arrived from Murph's and I installed it last night.  no more leaks for me either!  :)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »
If it had hydolocked the second you hit the starter you would know it.

Go to the local small engine shop. Get a Briggs and Stratton inline shutoff valve. They are usually displayed on a big piece of cardboard with about ten of them on it. About 6 bux.
Use that and never worry about hydrolock.

Sometimes you know... other times you dont.

Many people have hydrolocked and dont even know it.  This is why we suggest doing a hydrolock test before buying a C10 just because there are many still running with a small   bend in the rod. Those engines  can go at any time.. it a ticking time bomb. Yours maybe one of them. Next time you change or remove the plugs do a test. It is easy to do.

A manual shut off cannot prevent hydrolock. As a matter of fact we have had quite a few  hydrolocked engines reported using manual petcocks  and one immediately   after installing a manual petcock. Mine hydrolocked with a band new  OEM petcock.

Only one thing can prevent hydrolock.  Overflow tubes.  That is  the ONLY and correct way to prevent hydrolock

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
Now...if the fuel is shut off how do the carbs over flow? There is no fuel flow.
I guess peacocks al and shutoff valves aren't needed.
If the engine turns over and starts it didn't hydrology. Key word...LOCKED..
It ALMOST locked but didn't. Still bent the rod but didn't lock.
Mine actually locked with a big "clank". It did slightly bend a rod. Ran fine after that but was just a bit out of balance.
The real fix is carbs that don't go tango uniform. These carbs don't have replaceable seats.
Never had a lick of problems with Dellortos. And rarely turn off the fuel.
Brand new peacock? It was defective. Didn't shut off.
Flame away.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »
Now...if the fuel is shut off how do the carbs over flow? There is no fuel flow.
I already told you that mine hydrolocked with a brand new OEM petcock.  ( that was supposed to be a clue for you)  How can this be possible?  The answer is so very simple.
I will let you know when you got it.

FYI:  The real fix is still and will always be Overflow Tubes.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »
If the engine turns over and starts it didn't hydrology. Key word...LOCKED..
It ALMOST locked but didn't. Still bent the rod but didn't lock.
I am not sure what your trying to say. Maybe you are saying this:

The engine  turned over and bent a rod and also started  all at the same time means you hyrolocked the 'piston'.
 You do not have to stall/ lock up  the entire  engine to hydrolock a piston.( sometimes the engine will stop cranking but not all the time- this is why many do not even know they hydraulically locked a piston and bent that piston's connecting rod.)

The engine starting or not starting and/or locking or not locking  the entire engine or bending or not bending  a rod  are  not compulsory  to the   piston being hydrolocked from raw fuel in the cylinder. It is still a hydrolock event.. hopefully the result is NOT a bend rod.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »
I guess peacocks al and shutoff valves aren't needed.

Flame away.

well, for one thing, it's not just a "single" point failure.... i.e., fuel shutoff only....
Part 2 is a float needle tip not sealing against it's seat...

So, with all 4 floatbowls completely full of fuel, and the line running up to the fuel shuttoff also full of fuel, even tho the gas is "shut off"; if #1 piton is at the correct point, and intake valve opened, and the bike is sitting on the side stand, bike leaning over at an angle AND 3 float bowls now sitting progressively higher than the lowest one... #1..
with #1 float valve needle is not sealing..... fuel WILL flow from the remaining 3 carbs, back to the lowest point, #1 bowl.... AND, seeing as the bowl "vents" are routed up and behind, well above the carbs, fuel will flow up, and into the #1 intake, until the point the 3 remaining carbs, and fuel line, have dropped below the level of the carb bore/throat... ...
I've had it happen a couple times times on one of mine...  once it locked, and when the starter was hit a second and third time, it did start... and spit rich fuel out the exhaust.... another time it just topped rotating... and did not turn over...did I bend a rod...? I dunno, never looked... but the engine DID refuse to turn over, until I removed the plugs, and cranked it to remove the fuel from the piston area.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
Hmmm so locked doesn't mean locked? Must be new English.

Overflow  tubes do not fix the underlying problem. The fuel spills onto the floor. Hopefully you don't turn on the light in the garage and cause an explosion. Stop the flow of fuel with a shutoff valve and guess what? No more hydrolock and no boom from spilled fuel.

The needle/seats and the petcock are poor designs. You would think Kaw would have done something to solve it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 12:41:55 PM »
So....you don't believe shutting off the fuel prevents the problem?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
So....you don't believe shutting off the fuel prevents the problem?

DID YOU READ POST #12 ?

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :nuts: :hitfan:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 06:13:11 AM »
Hmmm so locked doesn't mean locked? Must be new English.

Overflow  tubes do not fix the underlying problem. The fuel spills onto the floor. Hopefully you don't turn on the light in the garage and cause an explosion. Stop the flow of fuel with a shutoff valve and guess what? No more hydrolock and no boom from spilled fuel.

The needle/seats and the petcock are poor designs. You would think Kaw would have done something to solve it.

They did fix it.  It's called fuel injection....LOL.  Course you probably have other worries with that but hydrolock usually isn't one of them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
DID YOU READ POST #12 ?

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :nuts: :hitfan:

Yes I did. Did you answer the question or ask another?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »

They did fix it.  It's called fuel injection....LOL.  Course you probably have other worries with that but hydrolock usually isn't one of them.

Their fix was to replace the whole bike!