Author Topic: petcock leaking again  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: petcock leaking again
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2020, 05:18:09 AM »
Petcock rebuilds = wasted money. Been there, done that, too many times, and no matter how careful or meticulous you are they just don't last that long.

Just fit a new $90 OEM petcock and the overflow tubes.
That way you can forget about the petcock for 10+ years, and when it does fail, the gas will pour onto the floor rather than into the cylinders.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »
Petcock rebuilds = wasted money. Been there, done that, too many times, and no matter how careful or meticulous you are they just don't last that long.

Just fit a new $90 OEM petcock and the overflow tubes.
That way you can forget about the petcock for 10+ years, and when it does fail, the gas will pour onto the floor rather than into the cylinders.
+1   AND their is another huge benefit when buying a new OEM petcock. You also get a brand new fuel filter that is integrated into the petcock.  Those mesh screens / filters get distorted and fail after a period of time and need to be replaced. When that filter fails debris then   gets past the petcock and into the floats/needles  of the carbs and  leaks will occur.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
Ok, have read all the banter and I have two basic questions that require basic, simplistic answers due to my inability to hang with some of the jargen.

Other than using the "rod" method to measure the valves for hydrolock, what are the signs and symptoms of a concours that is hydrolocked but still is running and riding? I'm referring to the post on the petcock thread where someone mentioned that they may not be aware of their hydrolock issue?

Lastly, I'm interested in the DIY overflow tubes. Can someone send me a link?

Thanks!

deuce
98 Concours

gpineau

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
Duce72, This is a real touchy subject around here.  I know I am going to regret this but I will attempt to answer from my knowledge base.

you know that hydro-lock is caused by leaky float needle valves in combination with a leaky petcock.  Depending on how bad the leak and how long it has been sitting, leaking you may have a little fuel in the cylinder or it may be completely full.  If partially filled you will hear a knock when you start it and you may or may not have just bent a rod.  This is the case of hydro-locked but still running. 

If the cylinder is completely full the bike will refuse to turn over and behave as though the engine is seized.  STOP there and pull the plugs and spin the engine to get the gas out of the cylinder(s).
Do this outside and stand clear. When mine refused to turn over i pulled the plugs and witnessed a shower of gasoline when I touched the starter.

I don't know of any DIY overflow tubes but may others can help with that.

I have suggested on here that you can add a 12 volt operated valve that will shut off fuel when the key is off. Some purists here think that a silly idea. I think it is good insurance.

Offline deuce72

• 98 Concours
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2020, 05:52:58 PM »

Thank you gpineau for the info. Thankfully I have put in a new carb kit last year which included new needles and some of the orings. Also, I'm going on season 3 for the petcock. So far so good!
98 Concours

gpineau

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2020, 11:20:28 PM »
Another word about insurance. The likely hood of a tornado hitting my home is slim, but I still have insurance.

You're on your way home and the bike is running a little strange. It kind of bothers you but its late, your tired and just want to park it and go inside. You'll deal with it tomorrow.
Little did you know your petcock failed  a couple months ago but you don't know ... as far as you know all is good except its running a little "different" today.

Little do you know the reason its running a little different is the float needle stuck on the way home. Now the stars have aligned. You have a failed petcock and a stuck float needle....but you are unaware. Whilst you are sleeping your number 2 cylinder is beginning to fill up with fuel.

Next morning you are refreshed and ready to tackle that problem with the bike. You turn the key, hit the starter,  you hear a knock...And there you have a reason for insurance.

Just saying. Mine has an electric fuel pump and everything stops when the key is off.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:02:13 AM by gpineau »