Author Topic: Stator Problem? or Precursor to fried Battery ... (aka Plasma Ball Saga)  (Read 31681 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Stator Problem?
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:44 AM »
Epic Haroldo if you ask me....

I think someone in the UK group had an issue with that silly ground block.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
My bad one was right near the air filter access.   

I looked through my photos and I don't have any of that side, but I found these two in some A&R Hid Install instructions.
I think the first one is the one Cliff is referring to??

This second one is further forward over the radiator.

Cliff, please jump in here if I'm giving bad info!

I'm going to look through the shop manual and see if there are any location photos for these things in the appendix. I should be back tomorrow with that. (Probably too late to help, sorry.)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 11:54:53 AM »
I looked through my photos and I don't have any of that side, but I found these two in some A&R Hid Install instructions.

I'm going to look through the shop manual and see if there are any location photos for these things in the appendix. I should be back tomorrow with that. (Probably too late to help, sorry.)

If I remember correctly someone mentioned that there are 11 or so of these connectors.  They bunch up ground connections so as to keep the wire bundle sizes as small as possible.  I'll go after the ones in the front since I think they have more exposure to the outside world and my problems are in the front end too.

Thanks for the pics!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
I had seen such "blocks" in the past in wiring harnesses of vehicles and only had a fleeting curiosity, but never bothered to research what they were.  Interesting.

Since we very, very rarely hear about issues stemming from these things, I would guess they are probably only a point of failure in cases where the harnesses were physically disturbed (accident, moved or damaged during repairs or modifications, cut open for splicing, rubbed by parts that were not supposed to touch them, etc). 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Hmm....I'm not seeing any locations in the shop manual. I haven't scoured it yet, just some cursory flips though the pages....but I'm starting to think that all these joint connectors are all taped up in the main harness...and wasn't that just replaced?... or am I am getting mixed up again.🤔😯 Nevermind.

If all of the joint connectors are in the harness, then I doubt Kawasaki will note their location in the shop manual, as they would have the mechanic/tech simply replace the whole harness.  I'll continue to look.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:36:29 PM by fartymarty »

Offline Freddy

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
I happen to have a harness hanging around so here's pix of the junction blocks.  I found 2 - they have 5 or 6 black/yellow wires entering them.

There are 4 or 5 other earth junctions wrapped in blue.  The wires are crimped together and look solid.  If the problem is an earth junction, I'd look for the 2 above as they are not as solid in my view, as Cliff's pix below show.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:27:05 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »

This second one is further forward over the radiator.
[

Yes Marty your 1st. picture is the location. There was 2 there pretty close together. I'm pretty sure there are 11 of them.

Since we very, very rarely hear about issues stemming from these things, I would guess they are probably only a point of failure in cases where the harnesses were physically disturbed (accident, moved or damaged during repairs or modifications, cut open for splicing, rubbed by parts that were not supposed to touch them, etc). 

My harness had not been damaged, harmed, rubbed or cut for splicing.  It was simply corroded, period. I only know of 1 other instance of this happening.

I cannot seem to figure out picture posting here or I would post a picture.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Let's try again.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline Tree

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
I began to look into these blocks.  I was hoping to find at least one that showed some crud like the photo below that Cliff posted.  But no, so far they look clean when I removed the e-tape and opened them.  I will be spending the rest of the week tearing the bike down and removing the fuel tank as time permits.

I found three of the Black/White connectors near the air filter and four more near the KIPASS ECU.  They're broken out nicely so I didn't have to dig into the harness.  Just removed a couple wraps of electrical tape.  Two of the connectors near the ECU have blue wires so I'm gonna leave them alone until I find out what they do.

I ran out of time, daylight, and Give-A-Crap so this weekend troubleshooting is done.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
The light blue wires connected together are CANbus wires.

Brian

I began to look into these blocks.  I was hoping to find at least one that showed some crud like the photo below that Cliff posted.  But no, so far they look clean when I removed the e-tape and opened them.  I will be spending the rest of the week tearing the bike down and removing the fuel tank as time permits.

I found three of the Black/White connectors near the air filter and four more near the KIPASS ECU.  They're broken out nicely so I didn't have to dig into the harness.  Just removed a couple wraps of electrical tape.  Two of the connectors near the ECU have blue wires so I'm gonna leave them alone until I find out what they do.

I ran out of time, daylight, and Give-A-Crap so this weekend troubleshooting is done.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
  I will be spending the rest of the week tearing the bike down and removing the fuel tank as time permits.

fyi: You can get quite a bit of access just by loosening the tank and propping it up with pieces of wood and thereby not risking fuel leakage. You might want to start with that as it's fairly easy to do that way. While you have it off or up, you might want to start by checking the secondary frame ground as seen in the attached photo and labelled as #12.

You seem to know your way around a multimeter so forgive me if I'm forgetting or stating the obvious....but do you know yet why the things that are not working as to is it (1) a grounding issue or (2) a power not getting there issue? Chances are it's one or the other and not both. Getting that knowledge up front would eliminate perhaps 50% of the wire chasing. If you haven't determined that yet then I'd start with the headlight relays, are they clicking when you change the hi beam switch? ...are they getting power? ...do they have a ground connection? They are up high so they should be easy to get to and should have power as soon as you bump the starter switch. Starting with them might save a lot of disassembly.
Good Luck!

Offline Tree

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
I think I want to remove the fuel tank simply because I want to put my hands on the ABS pump - It's underneath the tank right?  It is throwing codes and I want to look at the electronics.  The codes are conflicting (High and low power input voltage) so I guess I'm a little conflicted too.  There are wiring harness bits beneath the tank also.  I just want to take a look-see.

As far as my current indications are concerned with the other non-operational stuff (ABS, headlights, turn indicators, Speedo, Trip Odo) I don't know if it is a power supply or return issue yet.  The Speedo does activate during the initial boot up of the cluster so that portion does have a complete circuit... It just doesn't indicate speed while riding which could be a completely different current path.

Most importantly I am resigned to the fact that this stuff is now showing up as I begin to replace known bad components and begin to recover.  What was hidden/masked by the complete deadness of the machine previously is coming to light.  This could take a while.  So I'm gonna remove most of the plastic now instead of piece meal just to get it out of the way.

My initial look at the grounding blocks hasn't yielded any cruddy ones but I will know where they are now.  It is such a universal system that it only makes sense to verify it sooner that later.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Yes, the ABS unit is under the tank, under a cover.  Putting your hands on probably won't reveal much.  There is one large harness connector and the diagnostic connectors are located under the seat, just behind item 15 in Marty's pic.  I take it you haven't cleared the stored codes as mentioned earlier and identified current active codes - or have you?

Offline Tree

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:09 PM »
Yes, the ABS unit is under the tank, under a cover.  Putting your hands on probably won't reveal much.  There is one large harness connector and the diagnostic connectors are located under the seat, just behind item 15 in Marty's pic.  I take it you haven't cleared the stored codes as mentioned earlier and identified current active codes - or have you?

The mechanic who did the KDS3 work with the new KIPASS ECU said that he attempted to clear the ABS codes a few times.  I didn't even attempt do do it myself.  I started looking at the other stuff that wasn't working.  They might be related so I guess I'll find out as I start taking bites out of this elephant.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2018, 01:19:01 PM »
Good luck with it Tree, I sincerely hope it all works out.

Regarding clearing ABS fault codes, it's not done with KDS3 but the pair of wires located under the seat I referred to above.  The simple procedure is in the factory service manual, which you no doubt you.

Offline Tree

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »
I went through and verified all of the Joint Connectors that I could find and they are all nice and clean.  Resistance to ground is good.  From what I can tell the circuit to and from all of the components is complete and not degraded.

I had to ask myself the simple question about lights, you know, when they don't light up?  Q: Are the light bulbs OK?  All of my headlights, city lights, turn indicating lights, and licence plate light were all blown.  The only thing that saved the brake light was the fact that it is LED.  I also isolated that abnormal buzzing noise that presented itself when I actuated the turn indicators or the emergency flashers.  I originally thought it was coming from the KIPASS ECU that I just replaced - it was actually coming from the turn signal relay which is just below the ECU, to the right, behind the plastic.  I feel better about my new ECU for now.  Hindsight being 20-20 I will never forget this lesson about basic electricity.  P = I X E.  In order for Power to remain constant, when the voltage in the electrical system went way down, the current in every device went way up.  Those components that were protected by a fuse were somewhat protected but the light bulbs had a hot lunch.  Inductive devices got their asses handed to them.  What's that?  Can you smell the burning coils?

Since I will be replacing all of the light bulbs now I was wondering what the latest and greatest replacements would be.  I have browsed through some of the posts where upgrades were made.  I have also read some about the turn signal relay and possible upgrades to that.

I'm not out of the woods yet but I think I can see a little better now.

What I would like to know from you guys is what is the best recommendations for replacement bulbs/relay and where can I get them?  Thanks in advance.  I am always happy to share my misery if it helps out some other poor schmuck.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
I would just use standard ones, but hey,  glad to read you're getting on top of it.   :chugbeer:

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:37 AM »
This is what I'd do, and what I did.

Excellent upgrade.

http://forum.cog-online.org/gixerhp-switchback-lights/switchback-lighting-deal!/
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Tree

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
Replacing headlights with original halogen type.  Don't feel the need for LED.  Maybe I will add something to the forks later...  I don't know yet: SYLVANIA 9003 (also fits H4) SilverStar High Performance Halogen Headlight Bulb, (Contains 2 Bulbs)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO93RA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

City lights will be incandescent amber: Philips 168NA LongerLife Miniature Bulb, 2 Pack

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-168NA-LongerLife-Miniature-Bulb/dp/B0173MKAHA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1519093391&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+168NA+LongerLife+Miniature+Bulb%2C+2+Pack

Replacing the turn signal bulbs with LED: JDM ASTAR Super Bright 5730 Chipsets 7507 1156PY BAU15S LED Bulbs with Projector,Amber Yellow

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Electronic-Flasher-Motorcycle-Signal/dp/B00RM26LXO/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1519092754&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89%3AiJDMTOY

Got a new electronic turn signal relay: iJDMTOY (1) 2-Pin Electronic LED Flasher Relay FIX Motorcycle LED Turn Signal Bulbs Hyper Flash Issue

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Electronic-Flasher-Motorcycle-Signal/dp/B00RM26LXO/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1519092754&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89%3AiJDMTOY

Can it be true?  I don't need load resistors with this fancy new relay?  Please tell me I don't need to splice anything.  After what I've been through I'm afraid to go near any wires.   :P

p.s.  I've seen LED's out there on the U-tube that don't use separate load resistors.  It's about time they figured that one out!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Replacing headlights with original halogen type.  Don't feel the need for LED.

I am pretty pleased with my HID -> LED conversion.  Not at bright as HID but much better pattern, more reliable, far less heat, no offgassing (which fouled a bit of the reflectors).  Not as good a pattern as the H4, which has more even coverage.

City lights will be incandescent amber: Philips 168NA LongerLife Miniature Bulb, 2 Pack

EXTREMELY happy with my last JDM AStar LED city lights.  FINALLY brighter than yellow incandescent!

Can it be true?  I don't need load resistors with this fancy new relay?  Please tell me I don't need to splice anything.  After what I've been through I'm afraid to go near any wires.   :P

When you are using a solid state flasher, there is no need for load resistors anymore- which waste tons of power, create lots of heat, have to be mounted somewhere safe, can fail, AND introduce more overall failure points in the system.  I love mine... just fantastic.  Unfortunately, they are not available easily for all vehicles.

p.s.  I've seen LED's out there on the U-tube that don't use separate load resistors.  It's about time they figured that one out!

As far as I understand a design can INCLUDE load resistors in the wiring harness, but not in the bulb.  LED bulbs are severely impacted by heat, so a load resistor could not be integrated into the bulb and produce a bulb that is bright and will last...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc