Author Topic: Any advantage Rifle verses Cee Bailey  (Read 9522 times)

Offline perkins337

Any advantage Rifle verses Cee Bailey
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
Hi all.  I have been looking at one of the 24.5" Cee Bailey windshields for my C10 2001.  Any advantage Rifle
verses Cee Bailey.

Perkins337
Saint Cloud FL.

Offline F-106

Re: Any advantage Rifle verses Cee Bailey
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
I have a Rifle on my 06. The one big advantage to the Rifle system is you can have more than one shield that fits the base. T his comes in handy during the summer when you can put on a shorter shield if you wish. Cee Bailey makes a great shield and from what i have heard from guys here, you can not go wrong with them if thats the way you decide to go.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
  I've had a Rifle on my '94 for 15 yrs. Got a gift certificate for a CeeBaily and have been using it for about 4 months. Both are good but over all I like the Rifle better. Rifle is clear with no distortion and seems to have a cleaner airflow.  If I had not had the Rifle first I would probably be satisfied with the CeeBaily.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »
  I've had a Rifle on my '94 for 15 yrs. Got a gift certificate for a CeeBaily and have been using it for about 4 months. Both are good but over all I like the Rifle better. Rifle is clear with no distortion and seems to have a cleaner airflow.  If I had not had the Rifle first I would probably be satisfied with the CeeBaily.

Yeah...I agree...both are good...but, what Mettler1 said... ;)
'02 C-10

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:12 AM »
In the summer I pull the windshield completely off of the base on my rifle and it still looks good, and is much more comfortable.

No info on the C.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
I bought a 2001 C-10 with a Rifle clear shield on it in late 2009.  Liked it but had no comparison until I low-sided in a gravel corner and cracked it in March 2010.

Was looking at CeeBailey's site an decided to get a tall one. 26.5" in clear with vent.

Haven't changed since.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Arata

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
Cee Bailey can't stop Zombies, although they make a fine windshield!
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »
I have a 26.5" Cee Bailey.  I like the way it looks and the way it works.  Its a bit hot in the middle of summer, but that's true of any tall WS.

Here's some comparison's between the two concerning dimensions that might help you out:

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 12:22:49 AM »
Some of the issues with turbulence, etc., have to do with the relationship between the rider, the helmet, and the windshield, among other things.  Rider height, lenght of arm (distance from 'shield) can make a big difference.  I wear a Shoei RF1000 helmet, behind my Rifle, and I always keep my face shield open, and look over the top of the 'shield a little bit, and there is no airflow felt at all, except a little at my elbows.  It's like sitting in a Barcalounger at home.  I have a good friend who has a Cee Bailey on his Connie, he's a few inches shorter than me (I'm 6' 1") and wears an Arai.  He rode my bike and said he didn't like "all that rough air" from my Rifle.  Says his Cee Bailey is real smooth.  Beats me.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:39 AM »
I had a 26.5" Ultra Tour on one of my GTRs and a Rifle base with a homemade screen on the other.
I preferred the Rifle. It's clearer optically, gives very little turbulence compared to the Cee Baileys and the only -ve is that ya can no longer see yer front wheel due to the Rifle base.
A couple of times I parked too close to something and scratched the paint on my front fender.  ::)
If I were buying one now it would be the Rifle every time.
I'm 6'4" with a long back and BIG feet.
YMMV.  ;)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
I think the balance vent in the Rifle actually does help with air flow and turbulence. Borrow a ride on a Rifle equiped Connie, and put your hand into the vent air flow at speed. Then note how much less updraft you feel at your lower back -- you know, how when you ride in a T-shirt without a jacket the back of the shirt continiously climbs? Doesn't do it nearly as much with the Rifle. I haven't tried a Baily, but have tried Targus (I think -- it's been a while), a home made, and another aftermarket I've forgotten. Only the Rifle really cut down the turbulence while keeping me dry int he rain.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I have a ceebailey.  Mine is sized so I look through the flip at the top going down the road.  I struggle a bit with the optic funhouse places, but my wife prefers it over stock and rifle because it's much more stable and quieter where she is.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
The shields of the Cee Baily and the Rifle are both made of plexiglas (acrylic). Should they crack, it's easier to make a replacement for the Rifle out of 1/8" lexan (polycarbonate) which is stronger and won't crack. (BTW, I don't have either)
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline soyjim

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
I have a 26.5" Cee Bailey.  I like the way it looks and the way it works.  Its a bit hot in the middle of summer, but that's true of any tall WS.

Here's some comparison's between the two concerning dimensions that might help you out:

I found this thread to be timely and helpful, I think. My bike came with a huge Clearview windshield. The screen  measures 24 5/8 inches from top to bottom and is wider than standard. Last summer in the heat I decided I wanted something smaller. Today I got on Ebay a Rifle base and 15 inch screen. This should Give me a look over height about 20 inches above the gas cap.

For comparison the Clearview screen I have is 24 inches over the gas cap. It has a closable vent but I don't think that makes much difference in the heat. It does eliminate some backdraft.  Hope I like the smaller Rifle screen.

The rifle base I am getting does not have any screws  to attach the base to the motorcycle.  I hope the screws on the bike work with the Rifle base.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
   Your screws will probably work. If not Murphs' has these for a Rifle shield. Shipping is free ans fast!!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_95&products_id=84
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
   Your screws will probably work. If not Murphs' has these for a Rifle shield. Shipping is free ans fast!!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_95&products_id=84

For what its worth - the original windshield screws are Philips head but Murph's kit screws are hex screws that use 3mm wrench.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
I have  experience with both windshields. I like the Cee Bailey better because it has the curled lip at the top and it is  wider than both the  Rifle and stock windshields and it is  made from  aircraft grade thicker material.
I  personally dont think anyone  should look 'through' any of these products. Mine is sized so I look over the top and the curled lip at the top drives the  rain and wind over my head. Actually the air  is directed at  my  top helmet vents which keeps my head cool on hot days and I close them on wet days.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline soyjim

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
I haven't got my Rifle screen yet but it does seem that Rifle is wierdly screwed. (sorry about that) The eight pack that Murph sells is plastic fastners that Murphs write up seems to imply are used for fastening the 6 slots on the screen to the  base. Just Got an E mail From rifle confirming that is there only recommended use for plastic fasteners. The rifle system uses stock screws in the 10 places to fasten the base on. I plan on using the same metal screws that hold the clearview screen on. They are probably the stock screws. If I need more you guys have shown where I can get more screwing stuff  :)   If I need it.
Rifle sells the same plastic fasteners on there website in packs of 12. It seems that whenever you try to make something work there is almost always some little stuff that one has to track down and buy.

I  personally dont think anyone  should look 'through' any of these products.

I agree with the above comment. It is a pain to try and figure what the right height is. That is one reason showing the height over the tank cap is beneficial. Any change to seating position changes the sight line. It also takes awhile to figure out what the optimal seating position is and the muscles adapt over time. Each change is a few more dollars. My corbin seat is lower and easier sitting than the higher early model seat I have. I have only been riding the bike a year. If I ever get it adapted to me I will never get rid of it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:51:28 PM by soyjim »

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:37 PM »
Well, I was debating what windshield to get last year, and found a smokin deal on a Rifle base.  Then I got a cut down screen that worked pretty well, then I made my own out of a too thin piece of plexi.  Just wanted to see how it worked before I committed.
Right now Ive got a cut down Goldwing 1100 (or is it a 1200?) shield on it, with a GL1500 vent in it.

If I wanna cool off in the hot, its awesome!  TONS of air if I want it, not much if I dont. 

Just dont forget a piece of foam pipe insulation to cover the vent hole should you get caught in the rain.  That little vent Rifle uses will put a LOT of water on your chest at highway speeds....

Still lots of stuff I want to do, but changing shields isnt one of them now. 

Oh, and I mounted the GL shield with stainless fasteners.  Not sure why Rifle says only plastic fasteners, but Id assume its got to do with the actual shield portion, not the base. 
Say what?

Offline soyjim

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Got my used Rifle screen today. Thought this would be a good place to put review.

It came off a 95 c10. I do not know how long it was used. Screen described as 15 inch medium smoke but appears somewhat amber. My measure 15 3/8 inch top to bottom.  Clear fairly rigid screen with no serious readily visiible flaws or damage.  There is some star cracking begining around some of the mounting holes.

The base is hard plastic type material that appears almost new. It seems to be very sturdy. There is some weather deteriation on the edge of the rubber strip that is glued to the base so that it is between the base and screen.  It is minor and I mention it to give the idea that  item  deteriates. There is an edge strip that is held on by friction along the top of the base. Mine is in good condition.

I hope that the beginning star cracks around the screen do not rapidly turn into a problem. I have the plastic nuts for screen attachment. I will be researching if there is anything I should do before I mount it. If anyone has any simple recommendations please advise. I intend to mount this screen for hot weather, which will not be right away.