Author Topic: Boot Shopping  (Read 14340 times)

Offline old n rusty

Re: Boot Shopping
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
I have Cortech Latigos. About 140 at Revzilla. A lot of boot for the price.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
I have Cortech Latigos. About 140 at Revzilla. A lot of boot for the price.
I can't get those for $134 with free ship, ill look into them

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »
Story on that posted here. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8228.msg99665#msg99665

And again, you need to remember we were maybe 20 years old, YOUNG and DUMB.

So what about the free beers for life though?  ??? :-\

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
I really like my Corbin high boots.  Too bad they don't make them anymore.   
I've had them for years and they are in great shape.

Corbin used to make boots?  ???

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
True.  If you never wreck.  How much does foot surgery, and time off from work cost? 
Of course if you never wreck, you don't need a helmet or gloves, jacket, or pants either.

We always take chances riding. If someone feels it is necessary to buy all the gear possible then more power to them. I may be lucky, but out of the three accidents I have been in, over 36 years, boots really didn't contribute to protection. It was always the helmet and jackets. I always wear a jacket, helmet and gloves. The rest are blue jeans and either leather boots or my hiking boots. I do not feel under protected and beyond that I have good insurance.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
So what about the free beers for life though?  ??? :-\
I'd go broke, you're worse than this guy.   :rotflmao:

I wore Danner boots for for years riding dual sports, but have you seen the price of these things now.  :o

http://www.danner.com/boots/

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
My good friend Tom got wiped out on the freeway last Thursday on his Wee-Strom.  A guy "lost control" of his car, slid across Tom's lane, hit the barrier, spun back and pushed him over.  At about 60 MPH.  His Shoei RF1100 took a small hit on the left side, his Aerostich suit got a small tear in the left bicep, his Aerostich Combat boots got some abrasions but other than a couple of small bruises, he's fine.  Bike/luggage got a little bent and some ground-off corners.

Did his gear pay for itself?  I don't know, but his wife, daughter, and I are glad he was protected.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
We always take chances riding. If someone feels it is necessary to buy all the gear possible then more power to them. I may be lucky, but out of the three accidents I have been in, over 36 years, boots really didn't contribute to protection. It was always the helmet and jackets. I always wear a jacket, helmet and gloves. The rest are blue jeans and either leather boots or my hiking boots. I do not feel under protected and beyond that I have good insurance.

Yep, that explains why all the motorcycle racers wear blue jeans and hiking boots...  ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
I'd go broke, you're worse than this guy.   :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

Yep, that explains why all the motorcycle racers wear blue jeans and hiking boots...  ::)

I'll be sure to remember that the next time I am on the track.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 04:42:11 AM »
Don't forget to have a look at these, courtesy of Mr Elkhoof.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RightD

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »
Another option is 5.11 or Danner tactical boots.

Here is what I wear when I go full boot: http://www.amazon.com/Danner-Desert-TFX-Hot-Tan/dp/B00131NBWO

Have to be careful with some styles about zippers and snaps in places that can scratch your paintwork, but they do offer decent protection.

Good Luck,
- RightD
2014 Kawasaki Concours 14
2008 Kawasaki Mean Streak SE
2012 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
Don't forget to have a look at these, courtesy of Mr Elkhoof.

Our sense of humor is so similar it is just scary.  ;D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline petepro

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »
I believe they had two versions.  (high and low)
Really solid sole and thick padded leather.    more than 5 years of use and they
are still functional and comfortable.   I only had to put a dab of crazy glue on the
stitching to stop it from fraying.

Corbin used to make boots?  ???

2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
I love my Joe Rocket Orbit boots, but they don't make them any longer. I have a pair of Big Bang boots in my garage, just not sure how I feel about the buckle.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 03:05:32 PM »
I most likely would have broken my foot legs and ankles many times by now with out proper boots.
My Joe Rocket track boots are busted up pretty bad after my last track crash and now I am doing more off road.
The track boots wont be enough so I bought Gaerne SG-10's and Klim's new covert  waterproof socks.
Inexpensive cheap boots will not protect you nor will they last and cannot be resoled.
Gaerne SG10 Motorcycle Boots Review
Product Review: Klim's Covert GTX Liner (waterproof motorcycle socks)
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
Klim's new covert  waterproof socks.
Hey Mike, how thick are these socks? Do I need to worry about going up a boot size? My Alpinestars vented boots are obviously not waterproof. This could be the ticket for me.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »

Tim,  there are guys who have wrecked without wearing helmets and never hit their heads.  There will always be examples of where a certain part of the body had no impact during a crash.  Unfortunately, your logic is flawed.  What you should look at is if you foot gets caught between the bike and the road, or pipe and road, or bike and car, will a quality boot save you from injury?  Same with quality riding pants.  I wouldn't say you were lucky.  You had three accidents during your riding career.  I have ridden over 100,000 miles in the last four years alone and over my 32 years of riding have only had one street bike accident.  Hit from the side by a jeep Cherokee when I was 28.  Caught my foot at the fuel tank while I was trying to bail off the bike.  Helmet never got a scratch.  Heavy leather boots kept the damage to soft tissue damage that kept me off my foot for 3 weeks.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 07:19:52 PM »
I love my Joe Rocket Orbit boots, but they don't make them any longer. I have a pair of Big Bang boots in my garage, just not sure how I feel about the buckle.

My big bangs served their purpose when i bought them i was short on cash a i bought them used(like new) on ebay for $40. They are too wide for sport riding( i was always dragging the side of the boot where it hung out past the peg. And where your foot flexes with all bending your foot does(while riding with ball of foot on peg) mine work a good sized hole in them. They are heavy and really not that comfortable to walk in. But for was i had in them i was satisfied, if i would have paid new price i'd prob be a little pissed. I accually liked the buckle it kept the laces tucked away

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »
I have used several different boots...my favorite is Harley Davidson Sonic...just remove the silly metal tag. These boots are very comfortable, warm, keep my feet dry and are easy squeezy to put on (laced up the front, zipper up the side)

see them at  http://www.bootbarn.com/Harley-Davidson-Men's-Sonar-Motorcycle-Boots/2000592,default,pd.html
I've Never Had A Better Day