Author Topic: Well gang, the ZG has run her course and is on to her next chapter...  (Read 26145 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
She's been a great bike and a ton of fun for me over the past 5 years, I've done everything I could to her and wish her all the best with her new owner!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Still a little sad to see her go...  :'( 

I'll still stop in to say hello from time to time I'm sure, I have made many great life time friends here on the forum!  :chugbeer:

As for what I replaced the ZG with...

I just bought a brand new KTM 1290 Super Adventure. It's really an amazing bike IMO, if you haven't ridden one yet I encourage you to do so! In comparison to the Connie it's about 200 lbs lighter with 20 more hp with major low end twin grunt and go, 8 gallon tank, heated grips and seats, cruise control, self cancelling turn signals, ABS, traction, multiple fuel map modes, multiple suspension modes, adaptive suspension (ie it sense's what you're doing in situations like diving into a corner etc and automatically adjusts the suspension settings on it's own  :o ),  it even has lights on the sides that sense the lean angle and turns the lights on while going through a turn to light up the street at night for better visibility in turns, and a slue of so much more technology stuff that I can't even think of at the minute!

Oh, and so far she is getting along just fine with my KTM dirt toy 500 EXC!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaU-fx_vxug

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Well gang, the ZG has run her course and is on to her next chapter...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
Looks fun! 8)

Keep in touch for sure. You're a giant part of this Site. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »
CONGRATS ZG!   (and here endith the serious part of this post.)

Quote from: KTM website
Seat height 860/875 mm

Did it come with some taller shoes/boots?  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »
Looks fun! 8)

Keep in touch for sure. You're a giant part of this Site. 8)

Thanks JM!  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
CONGRATS ZG!   (and here endith the serious part of this post.)

Did it come with some taller shoes/boots?  ;)

Thanks FM!  :chugbeer:

The seat height is adjustable from the factory, in the low position it's pretty close to the same height as the stock ZG height. I feel fine on it solo so far but I just got the bike about 6 hours ago so not too many miles on it yet. I spoke with Loren (Baldwin Seats) this morning and am shipping him the rider seat next week to do some tweaks to it for me to give me a little lower seat height.  :)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:51:07 PM »
She's been a great bike and a ton of fun for me over the past 5 years, I've done everything I could to her and wish her all the best with her new owner!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Still a little sad to see her go...  :'( 

I'll still stop in to say hello from time to time I'm sure, I have made many great life time friends here on the forum!  :chugbeer:

As for what I replaced the ZG with...

I just bought a brand new KTM 1290 Super Adventure. It's really an amazing bike IMO, if you haven't ridden one yet I encourage you to do so! In comparison to the Connie it's about 200 lbs lighter with 20 more hp with major low end twin grunt and go, 8 gallon tank, heated grips and seats, cruise control, self cancelling turn signals, ABS, traction, multiple fuel map modes, multiple suspension modes, adaptive suspension (ie it sense's what you're doing in situations like diving into a corner etc and automatically adjusts the suspension settings on it's own  :o ),  it even has lights on the sides that sense the lean angle and turns the lights on while going through a turn to light up the street at night for better visibility in turns, and a slue of so much more technology stuff that I can't even think of at the minute!

Oh, and so far she is getting along just fine with my KTM dirt toy 500 EXC!  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaU-fx_vxug

My best buddy in Fulton, N.Y. has a KTM dealership and I rode one last May. A torque monster indeed. And a "2 body bagger" as the Mafia would say.. Best of luck ZG, or maybe your new handle is KTM/ZG?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »
Congrats! And, what did you do with the ZG?? Was she wearing her green, white & blue clothes at sale?

This new KTM just doesn't look as good as the ZG ... IMO ... no offense ... but MAN it's got everything else!  :chugbeer:

... and Form Follows Function, right  :)

Edit: Watched the vid ... Is it even possible to crash this thing??!  :o  ;D

elp_jc

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »
Tons of options for folks who like that kind of bike styling. I've ridden several, and just never see myself buying one, even if offered with a shaft (chain-drive is a deal-breaker for me on any bike). I feel like riding a barrel, like a truck compared to a car. Just don't warm up to riding that high in a sporty matter (race bikes are not like that for a reason ;D), but it's a matter of personal preference. And no, I don't like trucks either. Ha ha. But that's my loss, since all manufacturers seem to be abandoning the sport-touring bike market as we know it, in favor of the adventure styling. All of my riding buddies have them now, and can't keep up with me in the twisties, but are not far behind. And if I rode at let's say 7/10s, they'd be right with me. A capable sport truck (like a BMW X6M) can be quite close to a sports car, just like a Ducati Multistrada to a sportier bike, but the feel will never be the same. And that's what I can't get used to. Plus I'm not particularly tall, so that'd be a third reason I wouldn't own one anyway. Ha ha. But they're here to stay, quite capable, and fitted with the latest technology found on top sport-touring rigs (except the shaft). Hey, that KTM fully wet with bags is less than 100 lbs lighter than a Connie the same way, not 200; just saying. And if you think a Connie is top heavy, wait until you try one of those with a full tank of gas :o. Definitely for folks with solid footing. Enjoy it, and hopefully you won't regret not having a chain ;D.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
Congrats and have fun!!

I know I wouldn't be happy with a 2 cyl and certainly wouldn't want a chain drive.  Also more of an "adventure" class with spoke wheels, higher seat/ground clearance, less wind protection, non-petal brakes, boxy panniers, tube handlebar, non-powered windscreen.  But as a new design, it has some really cool tech (and a freaky huge gas tank)!  It is nice to have choices.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
The seat height is adjustable from the factory, in the low position it's pretty close to the same height as the stock ZG height.

Not really.  In its lowest position it is 1.7" higher, which is a LOT.  And that is compared to the non-low seat version of the Concours (with low seat it would be 2.7" higher!).  Not that I have to worry about seat height or anything like that :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »
Congrats brother, wish you many happy miles, ENJOY!!! :) :)

sailor_chic

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 05:51:08 AM »
Congrats on your new bike. When is the spare C14 parts auction commencing?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 06:30:50 AM »

^^^ We still see those shelves in the background loaded with goodies.  ;D

Jay, good luck and enjoy.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
Good luck J!  Don't be a stranger.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Blown32

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »
Congrats, cool bike for sure.  I'd like to get your impressions after some time/miles.

The Super Duke has been calling my name but I'll likely wait a few years and hope to stumble into a deal on good used one.  It would fit in well with the rest of the stable.
Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
My best buddy in Fulton, N.Y. has a KTM dealership and I rode one last May. A torque monster indeed. And a "2 body bagger" as the Mafia would say.. Best of luck ZG, or maybe your new handle is KTM/ZG?

Thanks brutha!  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Congrats! And, what did you do with the ZG?? Was she wearing her green, white & blue clothes at sale?

This new KTM just doesn't look as good as the ZG ... IMO ... no offense ... but MAN it's got everything else!  :chugbeer:

... and Form Follows Function, right  :)

Edit: Watched the vid ... Is it even possible to crash this thing??!  :o ;D

Thanks CSK!  :)

She was wearing the blu/wht/grn but the deal included all the other sets too...

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
Tons of options for folks who like that kind of bike styling. I've ridden several, and just never see myself buying one, even if offered with a shaft (chain-drive is a deal-breaker for me on any bike). I feel like riding a barrel, like a truck compared to a car. Just don't warm up to riding that high in a sporty matter (race bikes are not like that for a reason ;D ), but it's a matter of personal preference. And no, I don't like trucks either. Ha ha. But that's my loss, since all manufacturers seem to be abandoning the sport-touring bike market as we know it, in favor of the adventure styling. All of my riding buddies have them now, and can't keep up with me in the twisties, but are not far behind. And if I rode at let's say 7/10s, they'd be right with me. A capable sport truck (like a BMW X6M) can be quite close to a sports car, just like a Ducati Multistrada to a sportier bike, but the feel will never be the same. And that's what I can't get used to. Plus I'm not particularly tall, so that'd be a third reason I wouldn't own one anyway. Ha ha. But they're here to stay, quite capable, and fitted with the latest technology found on top sport-touring rigs (except the shaft). Hey, that KTM fully wet with bags is less than 100 lbs lighter than a Connie the same way, not 200; just saying. And if you think a Connie is top heavy, wait until you try one of those with a full tank of gas :o . Definitely for folks with solid footing. Enjoy it, and hopefully you won't regret not having a chain ;D .

Yer still a tool...  ::)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
Congrats brother, wish you many happy miles, ENJOY!!! :) :)

Thanks KR!  :)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »

Thanks SC!  :)

The deal included all the body sets and wheels but I do still have some misc stuff and swag that I'll most likely post up for sale...