Author Topic: Glove recommendations?  (Read 7816 times)

Offline anycleavers

Glove recommendations?
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Hi, looking for some warm weather riding gloves. On the BikeBandit site there are 587 results for gloves.   :o 

Some wants- mesh for cooling comfort, protection (just in case), comfortable for several hours at a time, well made, so they last for more than a season or two, and if possible a price point around $50. Any such animal?

Anyone try the Icon 29ers? Or tell me about what your go-to gloves are and maybe I can whittle it down from there. Thanks
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Glove recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »
Im a big fan of any and all of the Olympia line of gloves.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:36:07 AM »
Held Airstream, great protection and air flow. Kinda pricy but I am worth it  ;)

Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 06:04:05 AM »
 I've been using the same pair of Firstgear Mesh Sport gloves (in silver/black) most of the year since 2003. An excellent product that even made it through my high-side back in 2005! I should buy a back up pair, since these gloves have been so good. Of course I have been saying that since 2003. And other than the inside tag fading that I can't read it anymore. The gloves are still in great shape.
 I put about 10,000 miles per year on my bikes. Some times more, some times less. These gloves probably get used 2/3's of the miles I put on the bikes! So I'm estimating 50,000 miles on these gloves and still going strong. And my hands are  mostly cool and comfortable in the warmer weather down until we drop back into the 50's!

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Icon Pursuit $55  (Lamb, sheep, or some other soft skin w/ armor)
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline kawamark

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:56:59 PM »
I just purchased my second set of ROADGEAR AirTec gloves. The first pair lasted five years of daily use and began to split at the back of the thumb part. Good air flow and priced right. $36 + $6 shipping. Ordered Wednesday and they arrived this morning.

http://roadgear.com//airtec-p-95.html?osCsid=da1d2c73f61219b30001be9950bcd688

Advanced hi-tensile mesh, reflective piping—engineered to perfection—these gloves keep you going.
Comfort Zone: 70-100°
Two year warranty.

Mark L. Johnson

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:50 AM »
You won't get any consensus on this topic. It's as personal as underwear or "best" beer (COLD is the correct answer to that question).  ;D

That said, Lee Parks deerskin gloves get worn the most, but I got them free from Lee as he's an old friend.  Good stuff.

I'm also periodically wearing a pair of Fox Dirtpaws motocross gloves on hot days.

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
You won't get any consensus on this topic. It's as personal as underwear or "best" beer (COLD is the correct answer to that question).  ;D
Even that's debatable, just ask the Insalaffen  ;)

I'd recommend the Ironclad Hi-viz. Cheap and good fit. Superior fingertips too, you can pick up change/washers, etc.
http://www.awdirect.com/ironclad-high-visibility-utility-gloves-ivg-02-s/gloves/?epc=AWSEFGL&CID=AWSEFGL&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=HVG06LSM
'02 C-10

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »

Cold underwear??  ???

Isn't there another thread going on about how to stay cool on hot days...

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Different answer to your question from every person posting! Glad to be of help.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 02:56:25 PM »
Oh yeah, I realize that everyone has their favorites and dislikes, but it does help to get input. The more  knowledge the better to base a decision on. 

Indefinitely better than scrolling through hundreds of listings.  :D

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I've got a pair of the vented Olympia's gel filled too.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »
I picked up a pair of AGVSport mesh Mayhem with armour knuckles and venting. $39 at Iron Pony yesterday.  I wanted the Held Airstreams but they don't carry that line. I think a pair of those Ironclad Hi Viz for $22 looks like a STEAL, wish I'd have seen them first.

http://www.agvsport.com/Short-Gloves/Mayhem/Mayhem.php

Offline roadkoan

• Arena
  • Some are as the river, some are as the rocks.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 05:39:07 AM »
I think a pair of those Ironclad Hi Viz for $22 looks like a STEAL, wish I'd have seen them first.

Highly recommended. I wear a pair of the "heavy utility" at work and the "hi-viz" on the bike, and the fit and price is superb. I've probably had 10 pair of the "heavy utility" over the years and I've never found a pair I like more at any price...
'02 C-10

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
Ok, I bought the Roadgear Airtech that kawamark posted a pic of. For the price, $42. shipped, I'm impressed. Seem very well made, but then I've only put a few hundred miles on them so far, time will tell.
Nice airflow through the glove for the hot weather we're having. No unusual seams on the inside that cause hand pain on long rides. Really no bad points to speak of yet. There isn't any type of padding on the palm, but then again they are not advertised as such. Thanks all, can't wait to start up a post for cold weather gloves.  ::)

thanks kawamark

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »
Oh yeah, nice length, you can tuck them inside your jacket sleeve if desired and a good sturdy wrist closure.