Author Topic: Clutchless shifting. Is it bad for the bike?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline anycleavers

Clutchless shifting. Is it bad for the bike?
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
if you upshift, say from 3-4-5-6 gears without using the clutch, does it hurt the clutch/tranny in any way? 
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Clutchless shifting. Is it bad for the bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »
Depends on how smoothly you upshift. 

I clutch when at higher/more agressive RPMs, but when being more casual about it, I do the clutchless thing on the upshift in the higher gears (starting with 3-4).  I always clutch on the downshift though, as I found the downshifting seemed a little harsh.

Someone once posted that preloading the shifter will cause more wear to your shifter forks, but I'm willing to bet trying to upshift to 7th gear or downshift to 0th gear wears/stresses them MUCH worse than a smooth clutchless shift ever will.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
if you upshift, say from 3-4-5-6 gears without using the clutch, does it hurt the clutch/tranny in any way?

No
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
Done properly while unloading the transmission by rolling the throttle off and on quickly doesnt hurt anything. Done improperly while the transmission is under a load does cause premature wear on the shift forks, shift shaft and the engagement dogs on the gears. Done wrong enough times and you will start missing shifts and having the trans pop out of gear when the engagement dogs start wearing down on the outer edge. I raced Kawasaki motorcycles and the trans was the weakest part of the bikes, abuse them enough and they will wear out.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »
That's what I've been doing, "unloading" it before I upshift. Good stuff to know, Thanks

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
Clutchless upshifts are fairly easy to do properly without damaging the transmission.  Clutchless downshifts are not easy to do properly.

I normally upshift and downshift without the clutch on my gsxr.  The C14 has transmission ratios that are close enough to permit clutchless downshifting but I use the clutch anyway.  I usually give partial clutch when upshifting the C14.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
I sure hope not, 49,802 on the odo and countless clutchless shifts, up and down.  Want some fun?  Preload when in first, hit rev limiter, shifts to second, keep 'er pinned, preload and you're in a place reserved for speed demons ;D

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
50k mostly clutchhless and still shifts like a dream
Decades of 10 speed roadranger clutchless didn't hurt either.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Want some fun?  Preload when in first, hit rev limiter, shifts to second, keep 'er pinned, preload and you're in a place reserved for speed demons ;D

_gulp_ Maybe one day.  :o

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
_gulp_ Maybe one day.  :o
Guaranteed to float the front ;D

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:34 PM »
Nope.
Done this on every bike I have owned, never had a clutch problem on any of them. Just make sure you unload the tranny, period.
Everyone ride safe, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?