Author Topic: how many miles until you hit reserve?  (Read 11719 times)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: how many miles until you hit reserve?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:24 AM »
Na, when your hitting fumes, it takes 6.15 to 6.19 gallons.  I've done both...

indeed. I went past the fumes  :-[
Bike stopped just one yard from the pump that my GPS told me I was going to find.
6.12 Gallons went in.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:05 AM »
That seems about right on a totally empty tank.  Running it low like that does not help the fuel pump.   Best not to do that a lot...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:53 PM »
Something rare happened today; never happened in all these years....  I hit reserve exactly when I went to fill it up.  It took 4.7 gallons to fill a little above the neck plate.

So this means I actually have more like 1.4 gal remaining instead of what I thought- 1.1.  And that also explains why I always seem to have more mileage than expected when I hit reserve.  (Not that I want to push it to sucking air and get stranded somewhere.... hasn't happened yet, thanksfully).

Note- although the tank is identical on every C14, when it hits reserve (first low fuel warning) might vary a bit from bike to bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 11:02:08 AM »
Two things,

(1) This has got to be a record, no?
2777 days between posts in the same thread? I think this must show how important that C14 owners think fuel mileage is.  :D

(2) Being a bit picky ..or perhaps persnickety...

Note- although the tank is identical on every C14, when it hits reserve (first low fuel warning) might vary a bit from bike to bike.
I think that the California emission bikes have an extra tube running through the tank so there is just slightly less volume inside those tanks.
I'm not sure that the reduced volume caused by that extra tube would translate to a noticeable amount of range, but the tanks are not identical and have different
part numbers not related to paint colors.
I like the word persnickety, I'm just not sure I'm spelling it correctly.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 02:23:19 PM »
Yeah, and besides this is no where near a record- I have been maybe 60K, 70K, maybe even more miles since I hit 'reserve' (low fuel warning on  a C-14).

;)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »
This has got to be a record, no?  2777 days between posts in the same thread?

Just picked the most appropriate thread instead of unnecessarily creating another one :)

I think this must show how important that C14 owners think fuel mileage is.  :D

Not really.  I don't care about mileage all that much, until it matters (like when running low on fuel). 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc