Author Topic: C14 Interesting Facts  (Read 23205 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
C14 Interesting Facts
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
DISCLAIMER....This information is provided for your enjoyment and entertainment by the riders of the Concours 14.  This information is in no way shape or form blessed by Kawasaki and is provided as is.  Use it at your own risk.  The true intent of this FAQ is to make our lives better by having one place to look for common issues and information.  Also, it wouldn't hurt to read the owner's manual at some point.  There is some good information in there if you can get by the Japanese English translations.  Ok, with all that being said, please let me know if you see any typos, something wrong, or a broken link.  Please note any updates you find and forward on to me to be included in this topic.  Also, if something plain doesn't work for you let me know as soon as possible.  Many thanks to EXZRXR for starting this valuable sticky post. I only hope that I can do as well to keep it going and evolving as does the C14.

Oddities and Tidbits

• Side cases may fall off.  Kawasaki isn't interested in fixing this issue.  Don't let this happen to you! 
  • Using the center stand on asphalt during very hot days is not recommended as it may sink causing a tipover.  Don't let this happen to you!
  • KIPASS and no starting issues (missing link)
  • Shifting into first gear from neutral whilst stopped can illicit a 'clunk'.  This is normal, but check your idle speed.  It may have been set too high from the factory.  Mine was set to 1800rpm.  Regardless what the manual says, 1250 is a good setting.
  • Do not overtighten the oil filter.  You'll regret it when you try to remove it.  Hand tight is fine.
  • The 08-12 US models do NOT have oxygen sensors.
  • When it's warm outside, bike on the side stand, tank nearly full or full, expansion may force gas/oily mixture out near the stand. Nothing to be concerned with.
  • Check your battery installation.  Some have been installed incorrectly.  The + terminal should be on the outside.  Check the tightness of the connections as well.  Periodically clean the connections
  • California bike information  (missing link)
  • Headlight aim may be maladjusted.  Mine were pointed straight down.
  • The right hand mirror assembly (08/09) may not be correctly mounted on the fairing.  The mirror mounts within a recess in the right fairing.  There have been reports of the mirror assembly being tightened down while not correctly seated causing cracks in the fairing (dealer issue if so).
  • Flash to Pass (FTP) switch will cause the high beams to come on during rain events.  Dielectric grease slathered on the switch solder blobs will prevent this from happening.
  • Check your exhaust header to manifold nuts.  They have a tendency to loosen up over time.  They may require tightening a few times before they stay tight. 13ft/lbs torque
  • Check all your fasteners for tightness.  Unless you have an exceptional dealer, this is typically overlooked.
  • Check your oil level before accepting the bike from the dealer.  The oil is checked with a sight guage on the right side.  If there isn't any oil showing in the glass with the bike level it needs to be topped off.  Check your tire air pressures as well (42/42 max load)
  • Do not over-tighten the rear drive oil plug drain bolt. It strips out easily.  It doesn't take a lot of force.  Do not over tighten the fill plug either.  You'll regret it.
  • Steering stem fairing brace can work loose.  Two bolts hold it.  Several occurrences of these coming loose. 
  • Steering stem top center bolt (the one covered by the black plastic cap) can work loose
  • If you disconnect the battery, tire pressure indicator on screen will be blank until you ride it again
  • If you are lucky enough to get your second FOB in a plastic baggy, you need to either write down the number on it or keep the baggy somewhere safe for reference purposes in case you lose it.  Applies to the 08-09 models.  Not sure if it applies to the '10s onward.
  • Check for rust on the top of the gas tank under the seat.  Might be a good idea to dry this area after riding in the raid, or heaven forbid, washing the bike.
  • There are bungee hooks within the side cases.
  • Bike on center stand and rotating rear wheel.  If you hear clicking get it to the deal to check out.  We've been finding several issues:  drive shaft frontward spline dry; missing cir-clip on a joint; loose drive shaft needle bearing caps.
  • 10's onward may get a momentary F1 error.  Nothing to worry about.  Kawi doesn't have a clue on why.
  • Tires wearing funny?  http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
  • New bikes might see a bit of seepage near the rear drive on the rear most boot.  It's normal.  Wipe it off and keep going.
  • Set your idle to about 1200 and check the free play of the throttle cables if the bike is dying at idle
Kawasaki web site for checking VIN number (warranty status, recalls)
http://kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_1400GTR

2011 C14
Product Specs -
Colors - Atomic Silver/Flat Super Black, Ebony/Flat Super Black

2010 C14
Product Specs ABS http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=25&id=442
2010 Feature Changes -
2010 Brochure -
Color - Candy Neptune Blue/Flat Super Black

2009 C14
Sales   http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/brochures/MY09_ConcoursBrochure.pdf
Color - Metallic Diablo Black/Flat Super Black, Candy Diamond Red/Flat Super Black

2008 C14
C14 Design Factoid http://www.kawasaki.com/Content/pdfs/products/concours_QandA.pdf
Color - Neutron Silver/Flat Super Black

All bikes
Date of Manufacture - on the left side of the steering neck
On board Diagnostic codes

READ THIS FIRST!!  Interesting facts for the C14 part 2

Part numbers for the C14 

Still under construction.....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:52:32 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

Re: C14 READ THIS FIRST FAQ
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
Thank you.......at least I have this to refer to!  Part II?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: C14 READ THIS FIRST FAQ
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
Thank you.......at least I have this to refer to!  Part II?

Hopefully this week.  I have to find time to put it in.  It'll get there but thanks for reminding me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.