Author Topic: Checking Fork Oil  (Read 2694 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Checking Fork Oil
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »
I had an independent shop replace my fork seals.  Now my forks "stick".  That is when stopping, they don't fully rebound till I accelerate from the light.  Low fork oil maybe?
I am not inclined to let him touch the bike again even though I paid him.  I am weird that way.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Checking Fork Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:13:29 PM »
fork stiction

Possibly a reassembly error. I would loosen the pinch bolts and axle, make sure the spacers are installed correctly and retighten according to spec. If you have an aftermarket fork brace, this also may be a problem

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
fork stiction

Possibly a reassembly error. I would loosen the pinch bolts and axle, make sure the spacers are installed correctly and retighten according to spec. If you have an aftermarket fork brace, this also may be a problem
It does have a fork brace.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
You can probably duplicate the problem by holding the brake on bouncing the forks. I would try to recreate the stiction  in the garage then try to correct by loosening the brace, loosening the axle and pinch bolts, and bouncing the forks and see if there is a change. If not it may be internal. If it gets better I'd retighten wheel assembly and recheck. If better retighten the brace and recheck by the bounce test.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
It does have a fork brace.

Many times the fork brace is simply too tight.... Loosen the bolts check for freedom and then lightly re-torque the brace to manf recommended torque.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
Why don't you let the shop fix the problem. maybe it was just a simple install error. he will likely be extra careful this time around!

I had an independent shop replace my fork seals.  Now my forks "stick".  That is when stopping, they don't fully rebound till I accelerate from the light.  Low fork oil maybe?
I am not inclined to let him touch the bike again even though I paid him.  I am weird that way.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Why don't you let the shop fix the problem. maybe it was just a simple install error. he will likely be extra careful this time around!

Offline Jim __

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »
Check out this post.
 http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,31924.msg153130.html#msg153130

I checked my fork brace this weekend and wound up adding a .008" shim (2 quarter inch wide pieces of a beer can).  Mine didn't appear to be sticking but the shims were definitely necessary.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:39:00 AM by Jim __ »