Author Topic: 11.36 @ 123mph in the 1/4 mile... bone stock.  (Read 5413 times)

Offline galaxieman

11.36 @ 123mph in the 1/4 mile... bone stock.
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
I went to SIR Dragway in Tucson last night for their open Test and Tune. Rode the bike up somewhat early since I figured I might be able to get some runs before lots of folks showed up after the sun went down (and the thermometer with it!). However, Test and Tune can be a crapshoot for getting runs in. The gates opened at 5pm for drivers and 6pm for spectators, but I didn't make my first pass until 7:51. I got in 5 runs, which ran 12.09 > 11.72 > 11.52 > 11.49 > 11.36@123mph. Corrected for altitude that last run would be a 10.95@127mph... but the time-slip still says 11's.

My best 60' time was a 1.89, and I know the Concours will come out of the hole faster than that. I'm reasonably confident that I can get her into the 10's bone stock. Compared to the ZX-14R, the Concours launches similarly, but once it's in 2nd gear the run is pretty much over (only gets mid-way through 4th at the big end). Its pulling hard from the 330' foot mark on, but 'pulling hard' is a relative term, especially when I went 9.54@146mph 3 weeks ago. Once the bike is up into 2nd I just make sure I'm still going straight and wait, and wait, and wait... for the RPMs to roll past 10k, then shift. With 2 more gears left at the 1320'-mark, the thing is geared to the moon, but that's just fine with me for a streetbike. First run was completely unaltered from the street setup, while runs 2-5 had the rear pre-load backed all the way out, and rebound damping on full so the bike would squat and stay. I ran full street pressure in the rear on all the runs since the bike was hooking up just fine.

I was hoping to get more runs in, but I told SWMBO I would quit at 9pm, and my 5th run was at 8:52, so I buttoned the bike back up and went home. There are more T-n-T's on the schedule before I leave, so I'll probably give it one more go before I put new tires on prior to the PCS. The rear is very close to the wear bars, and I'm already planning to order a new set of BT023GTs on the 21st, so I'm not worried about the burnouts. Didn't really show much extra wear after the runs last night, so I'm even more impressed with these Bridgestones. I posted a question over on the dragstrip's facebook page asking who the photographer by the water box last night was... we'll see if they respond. Otherwise, I've only got the shot of my bike parked next to a '68 Corvette drag car owned by a Mr. Tom Payton of Tucson, who was kind enough to let me stow my top-box under his trailer while I was making passes. I did manage to get one video, but of course it's of the run where I fell asleep at the line and missed the 1st yellow light. Green came on and I was waiting for it to go off... then I realized it was the green! .779 RT on that run  :banghead:
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
Re: 11.36 @ 123mph in the 1/4 mile... bone stock.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the post...what was you launch method?
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
Also is your 14R stock?

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
The concours is stock... My avatar is an extract from a picture of me at the Kawasaki Zero to Hero challenge in Vegas, where we were riding 14R's in Rickey Gadson's drag-racing school.  I didn't win, so I don't have a 14R.

Launch method for the Concours is as follows:

Drive around the water box, back in. 
Hold the front brake, dial about 5-6k RPM, dump the clutch.
After a quick burnout, let the brake out slowly and roll up to the line.
Pre-stage (roll into the first beam), then hold about 5k RPM. 
Let the clutch out slowly until it just starts to catch, then squeeze it so it's not moving the bike forward.
Push the bike forward with your feet until the stage light comes on.
Yellow, Yellow, Yellow (start releasing clutch and rolling on the gas), Green.  If you time this step right, you should get decent reaction times.  The Concours doesn't react nearly as fast as the 14R does (especially with the Brock's Performance Clutch Mod they were sporting), so you can pretty much start your 'launch' as the 3rd yellow is fully on.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:33:32 AM »
Thanks Galaxieman......

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 01:35:40 AM »
I just got back from Firebird raceway up here in Phoenix and it was my first time ever drag racing so I was so nervous.. I ran five times with most of them around 11.5 to 11.3..   I had my best run of 11.298 at 123mph!!  I was so excited!!  That is so much fun.  I am in the left lane on the time slip...