Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852990 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #580 on: January 29, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
I thought we had to disconnect the battery til the time caught up with the clock.

elp_jc

« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »
Swoyo95, thank you very much for that link (centerstand grab handle). But now that I have the bags off (probably 95% of the time), the bag mount is the perfect handle. Whenever I have the bags, will just keep using the bottom of the passenger peg mount (with gloves), since it serves the purpose well. Don't like adding crap and weight unless absolutely necessary. But thanks a million anyway.

Rhino, Maxtog, and others, I was talking about the 'alarm' red LED blinking for 24 hours. I personally don't want or need that, so disabled it. And yes, it's in the manual ;D. But here's how to do it: After you turn your engine off, and the KIPASS activation goes away after 5 seconds (this part is NOT mentioned in the manual), press both the upper and lower dash buttons simultaneously for about 2 seconds. First, the LED light will be solid on, then go out. When it goes out, you can release the buttons, and the LED won't blink anymore. You have to do that every time you disconnect the battery. For the clock, you have to also press both buttons for the same 2 seconds BUT when the ignition is on (engine running is preferred, to avoid discharging battery). Press the lower button until 'clock' is highlighted, press upper button for a second or two, then lower button to until hours blink, then press the upper button like for a second to activate the hour changing (that's the tricky part not explained in the manual). If you don't press the button for a second or so, it'd just get you out of the clock menu. It took me a little bit to figure out how to change it. By the way, was disappointed how badly the manual is translated (and things not explained well); many times couldn't figure out what the hell it's saying. Should have paid $10 to an English-speaking employee to proof it first. Oh well. Hope this helps folks.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #582 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
Right, POOR YOU.  Are they really that much faster than the C14?  What, 50 more HP, I believe.....Would love to ride one some day... tp
It's a totally different ball game with the ZX14R. Heck, it's a different ball game from the 06 through 11 ZX14.
OK, at least 50 more horses, which is huge, and 150 pounds less, which is huge.
Put the two together and you're looking to rocket into space. That bike shouldn't even be for sale to the public. It's ridiculous.
I do love it though. I really wish they would put that exact engine in the Connie. The Connie is way more comfy, even though it's way heavy. But 50 more horses would be enough to have it as my only bike.
But I guess I'll just suffer and have two. ;)
The grass isn't always greener.

elp_jc

« Reply #583 on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
But 50 more horses would be enough to have it as my only bike.
I think it's more like 25, no? The Connie should be about 175 crank HP, and the new ZX14 200, if I'm not mistaken. But have to say the litter bikes are there already, like the BMW S1000RR at 199. But the ZX has a lot more torque. At any rate, they're 2 different bikes. The ZX is more of a supersport, like the Hayabusa and old Blackbird (CBR1100XX), not an all-out sportbike, like the S1000RR or ZX-10R. I had both of them, and didn't like them, so sold them. If I lived next to a mountain, I'd buy a sportbike. But those more touring-oriented supersports were not much more confortable than a sportbike, didn't have factory bags, and were much heavier with a longer wheelbase, so more straight-line missiles. And that's probably why most are used for drag-racing. The Connie is the perfect compromise for somebody like me, who lives well over a hundred miles of the closest twisty roads. But yes, any of those are faster than the Connie, simply due to the less weight, and better aerodynamics.

Offline tomp

« Reply #584 on: January 29, 2015, 05:30:20 PM »
Cycle world Dyno results, C14-134/144HP,wo/w ram air induced...   ZXR-192HP, looks like around 50+ rear wheel difference to me.  Just sayin'....  My C14 is plenty fast for me, but I still would like to ride a ZXR.

C14 crank HP:
Max Power     114 kW / 155 hp @ 8800 rpm
Max Power Ram Air   118.4 kW /161 hp @ 8800 rpm

ZXR crank HP
Max Power   140 kW / 190 hp @ 9500 rpm
Max Power  Ram Air   147.2 kW / 200 hp @ 9500 rpm
Living in the Texas Coast...

sailor_chic

« Reply #585 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
Swoyo95, thank you very much for that link (centerstand grab handle). But now that I have the bags off (probably 95% of the time), the bag mount is the perfect handle. Whenever I have the bags, will just keep using the bottom of the passenger peg mount (with gloves), since it serves the purpose well. Don't like adding crap and weight unless absolutely necessary. But thanks a million anyway.

Would you like me to show you how to put this machine up on it's center stand?  :rotflmao:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #586 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
Would you like me to show you how to put this machine up on it's center stand?  :rotflmao:

:stirpot:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline tomp

« Reply #587 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:20 PM »
As great looking as you are, you can show this old guy anything you want.   Man, did I leave myself open to abuse with that... tomp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #588 on: January 29, 2015, 06:04:59 PM »
Cycle world Dyno results, C14-134/144HP,wo/w ram air induced...   ZXR-192HP, looks like around 50+ rear wheel difference to me.  Just sayin'....  My C14 is plenty fast for me, but I still would like to ride a ZXR.

C14 crank HP:
Max Power     114 kW / 155 hp @ 8800 rpm
Max Power Ram Air   118.4 kW /161 hp @ 8800 rpm

ZXR crank HP
Max Power   140 kW / 190 hp @ 9500 rpm
Max Power  Ram Air   147.2 kW / 200 hp @ 9500 rpm
Did they say how they arrived at the ram air numbers?

Offline tomp

« Reply #589 on: January 29, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
Something about a large volume fan forcing air into the intakes during tests.  Guess that's about as close as one could get.  tp

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #590 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
Don't kid yourself. Hate to "jack" a thread, but the new R model has 30 more HP than the previous generation, and the earlier model had 20 more horses at least over the Connie.
That's a solid 50 HP more, and a solid 150 LBS less. Game over. The ZX14R will blow your mind.
Don't mean to start a fire, But as I said before, it's a totally different game.

My Connie is no slouch, and my ZX14R is an absolute starship. Traction control kicks in through 3rd gear, shortshifting to avoid wheelspin and wheelies. If You're dumb enough to keep twisting the loud handle, it will punish you.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #591 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
Hate to "jack" a thread,....

Yeah me too, but it happens....

...case in point: jimmymac, why do you have an air impact wrench strapped to your garage door?...ballast?  ???

Offline tomp

« Reply #592 on: January 29, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
Yeah me too, but it happens....

...case in point: jimmymac, why do you have an air impact wrench strapped to your garage door?...ballast?  ???
Isn't that one of those new fangled anti gravity impact guns?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #593 on: January 29, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »
Don't kid yourself. Hate to "jack" a thread, but the new R model has 30 more HP than the previous generation, and the earlier model had 20 more horses at least over the Connie.
That's a solid 50 HP more, and a solid 150 LBS less. Game over. The ZX14R will blow your mind.
Don't mean to start a fire, But as I said before, it's a totally different game.

My Connie is no slouch, and my ZX14R is an absolute starship. Traction control kicks in through 3rd gear, shortshifting to avoid wheelspin and wheelies. If You're dumb enough to keep twisting the loud handle, it will punish you.

^^^^whoa, no mention of the sweet trans am!   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #594 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
Tool box was full?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #595 on: January 29, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »
Would you like me to show you how to put this machine up on it's center stand?
If you're built like Serena Williams, maybe ;D. Otherwise, I can do it just fine. Seriously, not designing a built-in handle to put a heavy bike on its center-stand was a glaring omission. But saying to use the passenger grab handle for that purpose was just lame IMO. All my previous sport-tourers had both. But again, not a big deal at all, especially without the bags. No bike is perfect, so we always have to put up with annoyances, no matter the machine. Another thing I noticed is you have to lift the rear quite a bit more on this bike than my previous ones, where the rear tire barely cleared the ground. This one clears it by more than an inch, so it requires more effort. Have a great evening.

elp_jc

« Reply #596 on: January 29, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
Looks like you want to start a fire. Ha ha. First of all, according to Kawasaki's site, the ZX14 is 591 lbs, vs 688 for the C14, which without bags (to compare apples to apples), would be 660 lbs, so only 69 lbs heavier, not 150. And the HP is 40 at best, and with a peakier power curve. Now, the current liter superbikes are 150 lbs lighter than yours (including the ZX10R), and with the same HP, they'd make your ZX feel like a minivan. Ha ha. Just messing with you man. Not that drastic difference, but a big difference nonetheless. Bottom line is your ZX is fast, but not the rocket you think it is. Ride a BMW S1000RR (or any other 200HP literbike), and find out for yourself. Now back to our regular subject ;D.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #597 on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »
There is more to power and performance than just peak HP and weight, which do not describe the total power curve (although the are the two most important).  Just saying (and not directed at anyone in particular).

Now back to our regular subject ;D.

Is there one?  As far as this almost 600 post thread goes, there really is no regular subject.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #598 on: January 30, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
mmmm shaft drive is a total hp whore... chain drive produces hp on a dyno.   put loaded bags on a zx, and a shaft... it'll be in the rearview mirror.
zx is no slouch. just saying.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

elp_jc

« Reply #599 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
Is there one?  As far as this almost 600 post thread goes, there really is no regular subject.
Thank you; didn't want to get in trouble ;D. I've ridden basically all sport bikes, and owned a Hayabusa (direct competitor of the ZX14), and they don't excel at anything other than straight-line performance IMO (and that's why the great majority of drag-racers use and modify those 2 bikes for that purpose). They're pigs at near 600 lbs, have much less cornering clearance than sportbikes, and are equally uncomfortable, so what's their appeal? I wanted to find out, but sold the Busa quickly after buying it. Yes, I got it up to 190 indicated a couple of times, but that was the end of its appeal to me ;). The Connie and other SPORT-tourers have pretty much the same cornering clearance, are more comfortable, have bags, more comfort features, and are plenty fast. So if I had twisties around, I'd go straight for a ZX10 (or similar), and keep the Connie. And you're absolutely right about being more to just peak HP. At the power levels of the C14, the great majority of motorcycle riders can probably launch the Connie faster than a ZX14 due to its extra weight and wheelbase, which help put power to the ground much easier. And the same is true between a ZX14 and a literbike. To launch a literbike hard you really have to know what you're doing. Even with traction and stability control (much easier with those), it's still tricky. But to each his own. At any rate, I'm done with that kind of thing, so maybe this guy is much younger than us ;D. I still ride fast and hard, but no reckless crap anymore. And can't take the punishment of those kinds of bikes anymore either. Take care.