Author Topic: c10 Problems with Conversion from early to later electrical system  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Stuart Richardson

I am converting from a c10 86 electrical system to a post c10 94 electrical system.  What problems and modifications do I have to contend with?

gpineau

Re: c10 Problems with Conversion from early to later electrical system
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 01:03:17 PM »
The Dash instruments will not "plug and play"  Besides the main harness being different the "sub-harness" that connects to the instrument panel , clock, turn signals etc is also different. 

If you change the main harness you need to also change the sub-harness just to get connectivity to the front of the bike.

Unless you want to rewire the instrument panel I suggest you also get the newer instrument panel (Ebay about $50). I got one of each but ended up going for a Chinese aftermarket replacement.

Offline nttra

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
The Dash instruments will not "plug and play"  Besides the main harness being different the "sub-harness" that connects to the instrument panel , clock, turn signals etc is also different. 

If you change the main harness you need to also change the sub-harness just to get connectivity to the front of the bike.

Unless you want to rewire the instrument panel I suggest you also get the newer instrument panel (Ebay about $50). I got one of each but ended up going for a Chinese aftermarket replacement.

That's interesting! By any chance you have a write-up of how you wired things up to the new instrument cluster?
I'm working on a naked C-10 version, and tidying up the front is on my list

Thanks!

gpineau

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »
That's interesting! By any chance you have a write-up of how you wired things up to the new instrument cluster?

Thanks!
The C10 that I converted to a cafe racer/rat rod/ bobber  came to me about as naked as it could get.  All the electrical going to the front of the bike, and I mean ALL was chopped off at the front of the tank. The only thing left connected was the key and handle bar switches.

I had made a thread for it when I first bought it and before I decided to change it over to fuel injection.  Its called looking for a project bike.
here is the thread.  Skip the first page, The real work starts on the second page of the thread. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23879.15

here is the before and after. https://youtu.be/odRc84ogfQ4

I got all my replacement harness off ebay. Be aware that there was a change in the harness somewhere around 93-94 and the USA -CANADA-Europe models have some differences.  When purchasing the harness replacement be sure to match the front sub-harness with the main harness of the same model.

There are 3 different schematics variable by year of manufacture. You can find all three on my web site. http://gpineau.com/Public_files/   

Good luck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »
I am converting from a c10 86 electrical system to a post c10 94 electrical system.  What problems and modifications do I have to contend with?

I'm going to ask a question, please bear with me;  "why" are you wanting to change this out for the post '94 system?

Does your bike start, and run, correctly right now? Have you ridden it for any specific long distances, without issue? how many Miles?
Is your existing system not working?
If not, have you gone thru it all, and found issues?  And what specifically were they?
Switching over is not simple; It ends up being very costly,(i.e. time, and money) and a lot of work, so on a bike that is worth less than $1500, the added benefits (if any), will not make it worth while. Also, even if you have a "new" harness, "new style Gages" do not fit the fairing, or mounts.. just commenting. There is nothing about the "newer / gen II " wiring, that sets it above the Gen I wiring system, and even places it lower, as you loose the "backup emergency headlight system".. the '86 came with.

I only comment on this, because of the level of time you will need, and the lack of people here that have great patience to "walk ya thru it", which I have done quite a few times over 17 years here, may leave you pounding your head against a wall, and asking "what was I thinking"... frankly I hate to see people struggle, and spend money, without having a bike to ride.... for months.

so, to address part 2 of your question, as to parts..

Harness, all, front to back, replacement
Left hand control switch pod, differs in pinouts, from both
emergency headlight system loss
J-box internal differences, even tho they all plug and play(somewhat, but at a loss of ampacity on some circuits)
Gauge cluster, and subsequent mounting
Fairing (front internal and external, and sub frame)

and mainly, emergency service and repairs to a bike's system, when on the road, where there is no explanation to anyone attempting to help repair (service technicians), as to all that has been changed out, or what is Original or Not.  (i.e. replacement parts, in emergency repair)

There are a LOT of pre '94 bikes running perfectly today, the system is what it is, and works fine.. likely your fuel tank will rust and leak, before this electrical system goes titzup. If it's running, just ride, if it isn't running, ask for guidance in repair, but please don't rip everything out, prior to an easy repair.

oh, crap, I just realized this response I made, was to a "one post and poof/gone" o/p, back from December.. with no return.. what a waste of time.      :banghead: :battle: :battle: :banghead: :banghead: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :censored: :doh: :censored:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »

Thanks!

ok, back on track.. what year are you wanting different gauges for?

(not trying to short Gary's post on his gauge choices, just asking)
if its a pre '94, there are "plug and Play" gauges that can be salvaged from the Ninja models of the same years, and work great, even adding in an active "voltmeter' to the cluster, with only one wire needing to be snipped, to remove the "kickstand down" light circuit in the Ninja gauge cluster.

Offline nttra

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 08:09:25 PM »
The C10 that I converted to a cafe racer/rat rod/ bobber  came to me about as naked as it could get.  All the electrical going to the front of the bike, and I mean ALL was chopped off at the front of the tank. The only thing left connected was the key and handle bar switches.

I had made a thread for it when I first bought it and before I decided to change it over to fuel injection.  Its called looking for a project bike.
here is the thread.  Skip the first page, The real work starts on the second page of the thread. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23879.15

here is the before and after. https://youtu.be/odRc84ogfQ4

I got all my replacement harness off ebay. Be aware that there was a change in the harness somewhere around 93-94 and the USA -CANADA-Europe models have some differences.  When purchasing the harness replacement be sure to match the front sub-harness with the main harness of the same model.

There are 3 different schematics variable by year of manufacture. You can find all three on my web site. http://gpineau.com/Public_files/   

Good luck.

Thanks for those links! I happen to have some spare time today, and I'm definitely diving into your posts. Both you and MoB are becoming my own personal role models now!

BTW, has anyone tried a Single Sided Swing Arm conversion for the C-10 that actually works? I just bought a SSSA from a GL1800, and soon I'll try it on my spare parts bike just to see how it feels and looks.

Keep up that good work!!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:04:10 PM by nttra »

Offline nttra

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
ok, back on track.. what year are you wanting different gauges for?

(not trying to short Gary's post on his gauge choices, just asking)
if its a pre '94, there are "plug and Play" gauges that can be salvaged from the Ninja models of the same years, and work great, even adding in an active "voltmeter' to the cluster, with only one wire needing to be snipped, to remove the "kickstand down" light circuit in the Ninja gauge cluster.

It's for a 86.
Here's what I have: I have a semi functional 91 that needs some TLC to have it in prime condition. But I'm wanting to turn that one into a Adventure/Cafe/Naked version.
Also I have a 86 spare parts bike, with no title, pretty much all stripped out, so I'm trying to use this one as my sandbox to play before making changes to the real one.
And lastly, I have agreed to buy another 87, in apparently better shape than my 91. That I'd like to keep it as unmodified as possible to long distance touring with my SWAMBO.

I just bought those bikes last year. I started riding the 91 a couple of months ago as soon as we hit 50* here in KC, and OH boy! now I get it why you guys love so much this platform.

gpineau

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
It's for a 86.
Here's what I have: I have a semi functional 91 that needs some TLC to have it in prime condition. But I'm wanting to turn that one into a Adventure/Cafe/Naked version.
Also I have a 86 spare parts bike, with no title, pretty much all stripped out, so I'm trying to use this one as my sandbox to play before making changes to the real one.
And lastly, I have agreed to buy another 87, in apparently better shape than my 91. That I'd like to keep it as unmodified as possible to long distance touring with my SWAMBO.

I just bought those bikes last year. I started riding the 91 a couple of months ago as soon as we hit 50* here in KC, and OH boy! now I get it why you guys love so much this platform.

I was going to alert you that I have a couple dash boards but since you already have a variety I wont. Sounds like you have a big toy box with lots of spare parts.  Also you need to know that when your bike goes naked you loose the ability to mount the dash in the original position. You will need to find other means to mount it. I ended up giving up and getting a simi-cheap universal replacement from China. 

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
Not sure what you mean by single side swing arm on a ZG1000.  How would that work?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
One guy built a nekked Connie and tried using/converting the stock swingarm as a one single side swingarm.
He was semi successful as I recall.
Eventually converted back to double sided.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 06:33:15 PM »
One guy built a nekked Connie and tried using/converting the stock swingarm as a one single side swingarm.
He was semi successful as I recall.
Eventually converted back to double sided.

Ride safe, Ted

actually, it was a very big flop.. and did NOT work out, the bikes suspension needs, would not accommodate it, and the frame geometry (as is, and I walked thru this with him), could not be compromised to allow it's use.. so, just give up on that one, btdt... single side will not work, too much stress.. the old Connie, is what it is, and is reliable.. re-inventing the wheel is not.