Author Topic: #4 Carb Coughing oil in air box  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
#4 Carb Coughing oil in air box
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
Bike Runs fine going down the road or revving the engine but at idle the #4 carb will randomly start coughing into the air box, its seems about every 5 to 10 or 15 seconds it will cough and when it does i think its spitting a little oil in the air box because the drain hose on the bottom of box is always wet with oil and maybe a little gas, i just cleaned out the box best i could with a towel and it was moist but no liquid dripping any where, I put in a brand new K&N air filter and did not oil it very much as i'm sure the carb will do that soon enough.

My question is what is causing this ?, and is there an easy fix, i can't work on the carbs where i live and i don't really know how any way, this has been going on for 2 years now and it don't seem to be getting worse but it's definitely not getting any better even after sea-foam and ISO-Heet. i ride this bike year round so it never sits more then a week and is my only transpertation. wish i had money to send them to steve cause i would yank them right now.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: #4 Carb Coughing oil in air box
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »
there's a few possibilities, the most obvious would be tight intake valves of even a vaccum leak on cyl 4. Check those issues first. HTH, Steve