Author Topic: The Connie Vs. the K16  (Read 2337 times)

Offline tretnine

• Behind Bars Motorcycles and Life
The Connie Vs. the K16
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
So, I know you're a bunch of zggtr fanatics in here. I know it. It's the forum for it. So at the risk of getting gutted I am going to post a link to an article I wrote - this is a shameless plug - about my thoughts on the differences between the Kaw and the Beemer. Just remember I own one of these things before you gut me too bad if you don't agree, K? Hope you enjoy. Here's the opener...

I've owned a Connie (2009 Kawasaki Concours 14) for a while now. If you're feeling technical, or pedantic, it's been one year and four months. It's a good machine though with a with a few flaws. As a first generation machine it carries bugs and oversights – which I've enumerated on several occasions. My personal peeve is the heat. If the mercury crests 90, the Connie's saddle resembles a Dante-themed roller coaster spiraling into the 8th level of hell. Of course, I'm from Minnesota and don't necessarily handle the heat all too well, but there are other problems, too. The stock riding position is too sporty for any real touring. Unless you're a long-armed, knuckle-dragging great ape with an extra set of knees. The stock windshield (which has electric height control) only raised high enough to path the wind - and bugs - into the gap between my completely changes the experience.
          Kawasaki has since taken care of most of those first gen issues, but it's still cramped, still just not quiet perfect, not for a bike with touring right there in its title.

Of course, there is a reason you tolerate the gaps in the pavement so to speak, and it's a damned fine reason. The bike is hot, it's quick, in fact it screams, screams like a freshman with a bottle of Five O'clock vodka. Screams like that Billy Mays guy used to scream. It screams like an all-caps email from your mother. I LOVE YOU, HOW ARE YOU WE ARE IN CANAANDA TODAY AND ITIS MUCH NICER THEN WHERE YOU ARE! You know exactly what I'm saying. It screams. Like a tornado in your home town....

http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: The Connie Vs. the K16
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »
Just because this is a site devoted to the C10 and C14 doesn't mean we will gut you. Tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered.......maybe.   ;D 
The C14 and K16 are both great bikes, but it just happens to be that you get more for your money when you buy a C14.  If I had the disposable income to blow on a K16, would I?  Not sure, but I would definitely give it some serious thought.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline tretnine

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Absolutely. For a long time I asked myself "How in the hell can someone spend 30 grand on a machine when you can get such a fine piece of equipment for 10?" At the time mine was a carryover from '09. After riding I understand. As the owners of two Asian bikes, I'm all over the value, though. It'll be a hell of a long time (or a hell of a lucky day) when I bring home a 25K+ machine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »
Not that I'm saying the K1600 is less by any means and I might purchase one next. However, for comparison sake perhaps a write up might prove more valid with same year bikes.

To compare the Connie with the BMW a K1300 would be the one for that year?  I almost bought the K1300GT instead of my Connie in 2010 when they competed with each other.

I mean comparing a 2009 Ford Mustang GT with a 2012 Camaro.... well you know =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
Not that I'm saying the K1600 is less by any means and I might purchase one next. However, for comparison sake perhaps a write up might prove more valid with same year bikes.

To compare the Connie with the BMW a K1300 would be the one for that year?  I almost bought the K1300GT instead of my Connie in 2010 when they competed with each other.

More like a 2009 Mustang vs a 2012 Corvette ZR-1.  Both fast cars but one of them costs as much as a nice house.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline tretnine

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:46:33 PM »

Point well taken, however on the other hand they are both first generation bikes and even currently the old Connie holds up against thenew Beemer, (power and cornering-wise) which costs a lot more. That's something to keep in mind. You really do get a hell of a lot of for your money. I'd say BMW came out the the gate strong, though there are some GPS concerns, lighting is bad in direct sun and the unit is placed kind of far away. But, you have to have a GPS to be able to complain about it. I'd like to get on it and ride for a couple of days, but since it's worth as much as a kidney that might be a while off.

I don't know how much motor technology progresses in three years. If you pick the right three years - Say from 78 to 81 - Honda moved to a drastically revamped head, which gave a lot more torque and HP to a smaller displacement motor, but by the same token, they produced the same motor virtually unchanged for what... 5 years? 72 - 78? All depends on which years you're jumping from. I'm guessing that six was in R&D for a long time before it was put out. Just like the Connie motor was field tested in a ZX-14 before it hit the road. The one thing I never worry about on the connie is blowing up the motor. It's hard to destroy a bulletproof racemotor after it's been detuned unless you do something really stupid.

Offline ryan.wright

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:52 AM »
I'm in the same boat as some of these other guys. A K1600 would be great to own or, rather, for me the R1200RT. Buuuuuuuuut I work for a non-profit and that means a Concours is the bike for my budget.  And frankly it's the best bike in my budget by a long haul.