Author Topic: Whats the best cruise control option?  (Read 36039 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Whats the best cruise control option?
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »
Ok, this should get some responses for folks to use the search feature later down the road on this forum...

I would really like to get the MCcruise, but man it's not cheap, $1k, yikes...  :o

http://www.mccruise.com/Kawasaki-Z1400GTR-Concours-Cruise-Control.html

What do you guys have, use, recommend, hate...

:popcorn:

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
Re: Whats the best cruise control option?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
My concours came with a throttlemeister lock but so far I have been unable to find that sweet spot where my speed doesn't continuously creep up or down.  I've used a $10 cramp buster throttle rocker on my last two bikes and I've found that is enough to keep me happy on 300 miles days.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
For an all out cruise control:
 I've had two McCruises on two different bikes. Both worked flawlessly! Awesome product, but pricey! I can't recommend them enough!

For throttle locks:
I've had multiple Throttlemeisters as well. The best looking device, since it looks like it belongs there. Adjusting can be a challenge to get it just right. But a great unit, once you get use to them.

I've use the plastic vista style locks. Cheap and effective, but make the bike look cheap!

The best throttle lock I've had is the Breakaway. But I don't know if someone found which would fit the C14. The Breakaway CC is a quality piece that looks great and works great too. It also has front brake disengage feature which is the best idea IMO, for throttle locks. I love the one on the Mean Streak!

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
I installed a Rostra electronic cruise control for those long interstate runs. It works perfect, + or- 1 mph at about 70 to 75 mph. and the cost was around 200 bucks. I think they are about $240 now and about a full day to do the install.
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:28:19 PM »
+1 on the Rostra. $240 and not too bad to install. Works very well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:34:54 PM »
My concours came with a throttlemeister

That is a throttle lock, NOT a cruise control... wrong thread
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »

The best throttle lock I've had is the Breakaway. But I don't know if someone found which would fit the C14. The Breakaway CC is a quality piece that looks great and works great too. It also has front brake disengage feature which is the best idea IMO, for throttle locks. I love the one on the Mean Streak!

I haven't heard of this one Cap'n... Any pics or a link??

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
That is a throttle lock, NOT a cruise control... wrong thread

The thread title is purposely "options" Max, not neccesarily only true cruise control mechanical units, anything goes, bring it all brothers...  ;D 

People want/need to know what all is out there for future searches... we are rebuilding here.  ;)

Offline bruceg

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
+1 on the Rostra. $240 and not too bad to install. Works very well.
+2

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:11:45 PM »

I haven't heard of this one Cap'n... Any pics or a link??

http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

I'm guess those are what Cap'n is talking about.  Looks like an advanced version of the traditional throttle lock that auto disengages when the brake lever is pulled.  The website claims they don't work with heated grips.  They make a claim it has to do with the wires getting tangled, but I wonder if they are concerned the slight expanding of the rubber with heat may be enough to not allow them to properly disengage. 
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

I'm guess those are what Cap'n is talking about.  Looks like an advanced version of the traditional throttle lock that auto disengages when the brake lever is pulled.  The website claims they don't work with heated grips.  They make a claim it has to do with the wires getting tangled, but I wonder if they are concerned the slight expanding of the rubber with heat may be enough to not allow them to properly disengage.

Thanks Mano, a good looking product indeed. But yes it does look like they cater to more of the cruiser style bikes, and they don't list the Connie in the Kawi model drop down list...  :(

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »

The thread title is purposely "options" Max, not neccesarily only true cruise control mechanical units, anything goes, bring it all brothers...  ;D 

People want/need to know what all is out there for future searches... we are rebuilding here.  ;)

I suppose, but they are two separate things.  I think there should be a separate thread for throttle locks.  Perhaps I will make one...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Bob

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 05:52:08 AM »

Thanks Mano, a good looking product indeed. But yes it does look like they cater to more of the cruiser style bikes, and they don't list the Connie in the Kawi model drop down list...  :(

IIRC, I remember someone saying that the ST1300 application, should fit the C14. But I don't remember if it has been confirmed or not.
 I can say that the unit does work great. Although you do have to adjust the front break release feature to work correctly on the bike!

Offline scjaws

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »

I've had two McCruises on two different bikes. Both worked flawlessly! Awesome product, but pricey! I can't recommend them enough!

+1 om the MCcruise.  Had one on my 08, moved it to the 10.  Works fine, lasts a long time.

Offline GPz1100

• Arena
  • Red is Faster
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »
rostra. best bang for the buck

Offline Steve D

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
Yeap, the Rostra is working great for me too. Installation is a little involved but doable if you have some mechanical and electrical skills. 

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »
Had a McCruise on the ST1300... just plug and play.  It will be on the C14 soon, unless someone comes out with something as good/better that installs just as easy.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 03:51:20 PM »
  Slightly different input here...I had flawless factory CC on my BMW LT but I still used it only to flex my hands and such....a throttle lock device will work for me. Connie still shoulda had it ;D

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html ....... $20.00 throttle lock.......

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Yeap, the Rostra is working great for me too. Installation is a little involved but doable if you have some mechanical and electrical skills.

Had anyone done up a step by step tutorial on how to mount one on a C14?