Author Topic: Lake Michigan 1000.  (Read 9591 times)

Offline fsr402

Re: Lake Michigan 1000.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
I had one of these planned for tomorrow but then called it off because it was calling for rain. Dropped the bike to the dealer for the 15K service and made other plans. Now they are calling for 70 and sunny all the way around the lake.  >:(

My route would have me leaving Grand Rapids at 5am (maybe a little before) going north then west thru the UP, south thru WI and back east/north to GR.
Would be running slap in the dark hours and two lane in the daylight. The deer are starting to move here so north it's going to be even worse.  I figure I could make the run in about 18 hours putting me home by around 10pm. That would only be about 4 hours of night riding, two in the start and two at the end and those would be all slab.

I would try to join up with you for part of it but the wife and I will be doing a 4 day tour of the north lower MI on our bikes. I'll be running some of the same roads it sounds like you will be. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
I had one of these planned for tomorrow but then called it off because it was calling for rain. Dropped the bike to the dealer for the 15K service and made other plans. Now they are calling for 70 and sunny all the way around the lake.  >:(

My route would have me leaving Grand Rapids at 5am (maybe a little before) going north then west thru the UP, south thru WI and back east/north to GR.
Would be running slap in the dark hours and two lane in the daylight. The deer are starting to move here so north it's going to be even worse.  I figure I could make the run in about 18 hours putting me home by around 10pm. That would only be about 4 hours of night riding, two in the start and two at the end and those would be all slab.

I would try to join up with you for part of it but the wife and I will be doing a 4 day tour of the north lower MI on our bikes. I'll be running some of the same roads it sounds like you will be. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Sounds good. We're leaving Cedarburg Wisconsin at 2:30 am Saturday morning heading south. We're doing the same thing, run the slabs during the dark hours and the two lane hwy's during the daylight.  I'll post our route as soon as I have it.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
Well the Weather Forecast has gotten worse, not better over the last three days.  From 30% chance of rain to 50% and High temps from 65-69 to 59-54.

I don't mind the Rain.  And I don't mind the Cold.  But the two of them together for a "FUN RIDE" is not my idea of fun :o.  Seriously considering Bowing out of this one.  I want it to be fun, not miserable.

Doug Colton

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 12:10:57 PM »
Sissy  8) 8)
How are we going to get a good ride report if'n you dont ride in the rain and cold pavement?  Come on Doug; take one for the team  :P
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
Sissy  8) 8)
How are we going to get a good ride report if'n you dont ride in the rain and cold pavement?  Come on Doug; take one for the team  :P

Yep. That's me.

Tires are scheduled for installation tomorrow.........hopefully. Take one for the team?  Only if there's large sums of cash involved.  ;)

Doug Colton

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »

I was in Duluth MN Sat. and was planning to spend about 3 days in the U.P Saw the weather report for this week. "A HIGH temp of 50 and a low of 38 to 40 AND rain!!! Not fun!  I was home by Sun evening. Not really a good way to spend a vacation ride.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Tele130

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 07:57:25 AM »
OK.  Made it safe and sound.  Cold wet and windy.  17 hours, 22 min wheel turning time, 2 hours, 50 min of stopped time.  Couldn't get the new Shinko's installed before the trip so I had to make do with the "GT's".  As expected, they didn't let me down ;D.

Still warming up and sleeping.  I'll fill in the details later tomorrow.  Thanks guys.

Doug Colton

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 09:15:21 AM »
Excellent!

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
well done Tele
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline Tele130

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
I have a little bit of paperwork to finish up and then send it in to make it "Official"!!!  I'm really glad I did it.  It was one of those "Bucket List" things. Will I do it again?  Very, very, very, very, very (gota make sure I get enough VERY's in there  :rotflmao:) doubtful!!!!!!!!!.

I will say that my Connie performed flawlessly.  My knees and elbows were the only body parts getting sore at the end of the ride.  Woke up this morning feeling great.  My buddy rode his 2010-11 (not sure which year) BMW R1200RT.........sweet bike!  It really was a very memorable ride. ;)

Doug Colton

Offline rwulf

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
 :)Good on ya, or how ever they say it.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »
  Good to hear you got your ride in. I think a heated jacket liner and gloves + rain gear would be a must for me. I don't do well in the cold,wet stuff anymore! I LIKE heat!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:12 AM »
I'm really glad I did it.  It was one of those "Bucket List" things.

It really was a very memorable ride. ;)

Pictures?

Well done, my friend.  Well done.
 :chugbeer:
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Tele130

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »

Pictures?

Well done, my friend.  Well done.
 :chugbeer:

Sorry.  We never thought about taking pictures until we got home.  Since it was our "First IB Ride" we were just focused on being safe and making our time.  However, we have THREE more "Great Lake" IB ride to do.  Next summer is Lake Superior--June 22nd 2013........the longest day of the year, (daylight wise ;)).  I may be using the video camera portion of my iPhone for the next ride.

Anyone is more than welcome to join us :thumbs:.

Thanks  :chugbeer:

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
  Good to hear you got your ride in. I think a heated jacket liner and gloves + rain gear would be a must for me. I don't do well in the cold,wet stuff anymore! I LIKE heat!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

I wore my Olympia Phantom One suit.  High Vis-Yellow, water proof and a full quilted liner.  I also wore a second quilted jacket liner under my suit.  By "Base Gear" is from FirstGear.  It's a spandex type material that's fleece lined.  Insulated leather winter gloves and my Nolan N-103 helmet,  Boots are Gaerne (Italian made tour boot) that are insulated and water proof.  I was pretty comfy.  I felt cold at the end of the ride mostly because I was tired.  I do have an older Widder heated vest with the 7 position heat troller on it.  I just can't find the two pronged female connector on-line to hook it up.  Otherwise I would have used it for sure! ;D

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
I just found and ordered the battery cord for my Widder heated vest.  You'll never guess who has it.........................................................."The IBA (Iron Butt Association)Store" of all places.......... ::).  Now I find it :rotflmao:.

Doug Colton