Author Topic: Rusty brake lines, GM sucks! I'll never buy a GM vehical again.  (Read 19046 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Rusty brake lines, GM sucks! I'll never buy a GM vehical again.
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 04:52:24 AM »
I've had my truck up on jack stands for about a week now. I've been working on it a few hours a day, just to keep my frustration level down to a minimum. I now have all the old lines pulled out and I'm ready to start installing the new lines. This will be the most challenging part for sure. Pulling the old lines out was no picnic but since I could cut the line for the longer runs (right front and rear) it wasn't too bad. I'm hoping that I can remember how the lines were routed and which lines go into which clip.

In case you'd like to see the recommended way to do this.    :o  (I'm not using the GM nylon coated steel line kit I'm using the Dorman stainless steel line kit)

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/Brake-Pipe-Kits-Available-ACDelco-TechConnect.pdf

The procedure calls for lifting the left side of the cab and bed of the truck 2" above the frame so that the clips can be accessed. I'm hoping not to have to do this. I was able reach the clips to remove the old lines, so we'll see. At lease I won't have brake fluid dripping all over me while I install the new lines.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 04:55:29 AM »
ahhh, the joys of being retired when one can finally find the time to enjoy the little things that make life worth living.  ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
+1.  What else does he have to do?  This is what Zen is all about.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »
Zen my ass! It took me ALL afternoon just to get the rear brake line installed (one line supplies both rear wheels). But it's done baby!  :) This was one of the two most difficult lines to install. Tomorrow I'll do the other.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Gee Conrad, would it not be easier to just roll the car over onto, say, a bunch of pillows and then work on the 'top'? Then the whole job would be easy, like doing the roof on a house is easy.....

<duckin', grinnin' and runnin'>

Brian

Zen my ass! It took me ALL afternoon just to get the rear brake line installed (one line supplies both rear wheels). But it's done baby!  :) This was one of the two most difficult lines to install. Tomorrow I'll do the other.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
and I forgot to mention we have palm trees here in FL too  ;D

There are palm trees in this picture?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 03:58:30 AM »
I was underneath my truck yesterday trying to figure out why it wouldn't shift correctly and saw my lines were quite rusted.  Darn effen Dodges, you wouldn't think a 21 year old truck would have rusty lines.  I'm dreading working on that.  Might be time for another truck when that happens, but this one is just breaking in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 04:35:18 AM »
Gee Conrad, would it not be easier to just roll the car over onto, say, a bunch of pillows and then work on the 'top'? Then the whole job would be easy, like doing the roof on a house is easy.....

<duckin', grinnin' and runnin'>

Brian

If only I had that many pillows Brian!

Take a look at the pdf in post #20 above. This is from GM and it actually has the recommended billing hours listed, 4.5 to 6 hours. That sounds reasonable for a truck on a lift with all the correct tools at hand, yada yada yada. Yet my local Chevy dealer quoted me an approximate price of $1,200 to do this work.  :o
$1,200!?!?! Holy ****, how much do you think they charge per hour? The parts, even at their inflated cost, can't be more than $200. So $1,000 for 6 hours of work?    ::)

Offline Bunk

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
My uncle just had the same issue with the brake system on his Avalanche.  Thought it was just a line issue and the whole system was shot.  In his case, he sold it to a mechanic friend of his and bought a new Silverado.
VStar 950 > GL1800 > Concours 14
Candy Cardinal Red (Best Color) Cee Bailey Ultra-Tour - Helibars Risers -Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawi Top Box - Phil's Farkles Luggage Rack - Ram Mount with FingerGrip Phone Cradle - Sena 20S - Schuberth C3

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 05:15:34 AM »
I got 'er done!

Well, almost. All the new SS brake lines are installed. I just need to put the front left fender liner back in and then bleed the brakes. It was fun while it lasted.   :o

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2015, 08:38:26 AM »

Is the girl on the back holding on to trees with her palms?  I just don't see no trees anywhere?  Is that one of those Florida pink flamingos we keep hearing about?  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
red snapper

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 04:38:33 AM »
Ain't nutthin like fresh red snapper!    :P