Author Topic: Garage door opener.  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Tele130

Garage door opener.
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
Has anyone wired a "Momentary" push button switch to a standard garage door opener to use on the bike?

If so, how is it wired?

I'm really getting tired of getting off the bike to open the door and I don't want to drop $80.00 for the high beam switch one.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
Re: Garage door opener.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Sorry but I don't understand the question.

Personally, when I put my car away for the riding season, I take the single button garage opener off the visor and stick it in my riding jacket pocket.  Inexpensive Chamberlain opener.

Is there a better way you have found to mount something on a C-10?
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline Tele130

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
I have seen a few riders that have run two wires from a momentary switch mounted on their dash to a standard garage door opener Remote (just like the one you clip to your jacket). The garage door opener remote is tucked in one of the side dash pockets. All they have to do is push the button mounted on the dash and it activates the garage door opener. I'm just trying to find out where you hook the wires from the switch to the garage door remote.

Doug Colton

Offline F-106

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
Doug, the Valkyrie riders had something hooked up to the high beam switch. I never did the mod so I never looked into it. If i remember right you hit the high beam switch 2 times and that opened the door. I think I remember a thread on the COG board about it....BILL
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Tele130

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:01:13 PM »
Yea. That's the $80.00 unit I'm trying to avoid.  ;D.  Once I get this worked out I'll post it up here.  :thumbs:

Doug Colton

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
The wireless opener, about $6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-Wireless-Electric-Garage-Gate-Door-Remote-2-Channel-/190655502548?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item2c63f418d4

The power adapter, about $2.50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140489934903?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

and you wire it to the existing garage opener contacts (the ones for the switch inside the garage. It's in service in my house ever since the original wireless opener bit the dust and the exact replacement was $80 or so.

65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
I have seen a few riders that have run two wires from a momentary switch mounted on their dash to a standard garage door opener Remote (just like the one you clip to your jacket). The garage door opener remote is tucked in one of the side dash pockets. All they have to do is push the button mounted on the dash and it activates the garage door opener. I'm just trying to find out where you hook the wires from the switch to the garage door remote.

This is exactly what I did on my previous bike. I cant tell you where to put the wires on yours.... but on mine I just looked at the contacts on the circuit board and then checked it with a multimeter. Once I found the contact points that were getting power from the button press, I just soldered 2 wires from the remote to a momentary switch. I hid the remote under the fairings and it was done. When I sold the bike I told the new owner about it and I changed the codes on my opener so the bike would no longer open it. It really is pretty easy as long as you have a multimeter and a  soldering iron.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline soonerstan56

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
Try this one, it is very reliable if you have the resources available.

BMW F800S Garage Door Opener www.vet.co.uk

Stan

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »
All my garage door openers use a 12v battery, so I just hardwired the unit to switched accessory leads on the bike, and wired a momentary switch from Radio Shack to the remote's button.  Easy enough if you have some electronic soldering skills.  I drilled a small hole in the dash and installed the switch.

Easy, cheap (especially if you have a spare remote) and handy. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline this is a rv

• This is a RV
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »

Water proof the back of the switch, to keep the door from going crazy when you wash the bike in the driveway.
Jack Gindra
X-COG #43

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
Mine is wrapped in foam with a twist tie and sits in the tool tray under the seat.  I just wired in a 1/2" square push button switch from Radio Shack to a small hole I made right under the center stand lift handle.  The 1/2" hole is on the side of the indention so it is kind of protected from the elements (noted by the yellow circle).  A connector is used so the side panel can be removed easily.  Many years and no water problems.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kbecker3

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
I just got a key chain remote. I think it was about $20. I have a liftmaster, the remote model number is 370LM.
2005 concours

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
I did not want to solder to the circuit board of my opener so I taped the button in the ON position and placed a switch in between  the one of the wires on the battery. I used a 2 dollar lawn mower safty switch. I think it goes under the seat of the mower. My window is gone on the sidecover so I zip tied it to the frame. Switch is easily reached through the window.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline goatmar

• Go where God wants you.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
Put the opener in your glove box, when you get home reach in and press the button.  That's what I do, but then my left glove box has a latch not the key lock.  8)  No $$$ spent....... it's a good thing.
Dave Muzzey
COG#7957
'01 Connie "BLUE"

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
Mine does have a lockable lid. I have everything I need. Just gota hook up two wires and figure a placement point for the switch.

Doug Colton