Author Topic: Throttlemeister on 2010/11  (Read 3532 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Throttlemeister on 2010/11
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »
For those considering this, YES it's possible to put a TM on the 2010/11 with the heated grips. Bit of a PITA, but do-able.

After rolling back the outer grip, you're presented with the inner grip that contains the grip heater wires. It's stiff and doesn't want to roll up. Using all 10 of my thumbs, I managed to get about a half-inch of the heated portion rolled up (the imbedded wires make it stiff). Be careful you don't eff up the heating wires.

I put the bushing up against this and using the square end of my T-handle allen wrench, pushed the bushing the rest of the way under the heated portion. Unrolled everything and did a trial run with all the shims. Nope. No engagement at all.

I ended up with just 3 shims out of 5 and it works fine.

Will take some photos and post them later. NOW I'm going for a ride  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Throttlemeister on 2010/11
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:32:40 PM »
For those considering this, YES it's possible to put a TM on the 2010/11 with the heated grips. Bit of a PITA, but do-able.

After rolling back the outer grip, you're presented with the inner grip that contains the grip heater wires. It's stiff and doesn't want to roll up. Using all 10 of my thumbs, I managed to get about a half-inch of the heated portion rolled up (the imbedded wires make it stiff). Be careful you don't eff up the heating wires.

I put the bushing up against this and using the square end of my T-handle allen wrench, pushed the bushing the rest of the way under the heated portion. Unrolled everything and did a trial run with all the shims. Nope. No engagement at all.

I ended up with just 3 shims out of 5 and it works fine.

Will take some photos and post them later. NOW I'm going for a ride  ;D

Mine have been on my '10 for the better part of 32,000 miles
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:23:16 PM »
That's odd, I just pried up the whole grip with a big assed flat blade screwdriver (I didn't roll back the grip, I just pried it up.) with no issues.  It went in fine.

Darknesses

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
I have had one on my 2011 for about 4000 miles and love it.  I didn't roll the grip back.  Just got the edge of the TM under the grip and then tapped it in with a socket that fit flush on it and a hammer. 

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
Am I the only one that didn't even put the friction sleeve on? I used 1 thick shim and three of the thin shims. I only put it on this morning and only have 30 miles with it on, but it seemed to hold fine.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Mine have been on my '10 for the better part of 32,000 miles

As we all know, it isn't who did something first, it's who POSTED it on the new site first.  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
As we all know, it isn't who did something first, it's who POSTED it on the new site first;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline rar

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
Used the exact same method as Jetjock.  Rolled back the electric.....  Works good, except on hills which we have plenty of in the north east, I am still thinking of installing electronic cruise.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
Am I the only one that didn't even put the friction sleeve on? I used 1 thick shim and three of the thin shims. I only put it on this morning and only have 30 miles with it on, but it seemed to hold fine.

I tried that at first and it really just didn't work.  Never would hold properly regardless of of how I configured the washers.  I put the sleeve in and it worked a whole lot better.  I think you will be happier if you just suck it up and install it.