Author Topic: Rear tire  (Read 5637 times)

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
Re: Rear tire
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the propers, CRocker...I remember that bit about radials.  "they'll be turnin' like they should, an' ALLOFASUDDENLIKE, they will GRAB and you'll be shootin' off the INSIDE of the corner.  Nuthin' you kin do, neither.  They just do you like thet.  You kin tell they aint right.  Lookit the way they skwish down like they are low, then you get the gauge out and they got 32PSI !! 

Tele, yer daddy was way ahead of the curve. 
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
The fact that I can post on this topic here is why I'm a member of this board and not the other one.  I will **never** join that board.  Screw them.

Talk of darksiding is not allowed over there.

I might do it once the Most Expensive Dungflop Ever is worn out.  I paid so much for this tire I'm running it into the cords though.

Lots of Chicken Littling on this topic without many facts.  Seems like more people that try it end up sticking with it than going back.

Never heard of a catastrophic failure happening with this mod either.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Derek, over on the GL1800 boards there is a special topic board for the darksiders so it isn't just one web site.

Not a fan of car tires on bikes personally but there is a fellow who does Turbo kits for the gold wing, $10,000 plus install, and he says he has put 50,000 onto his rear

tire while doing extensive testing of the acceleration properties of the turbo.....in the 1/4 mile head to head with a non turbo he says he is 300 feet ahead at the end.

I think if I was running a lot of miles I would at least try a car tire....they do look funny though....

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
Derek, over on the GL1800 boards there is a special topic board for the darksiders so it isn't just one web site.

Not a fan of car tires on bikes personally but there is a fellow who does Turbo kits for the gold wing, $10,000 plus install, and he says he has put 50,000 onto his rear

tire while doing extensive testing of the acceleration properties of the turbo.....in the 1/4 mile head to head with a non turbo he says he is 300 feet ahead at the end.

I think if I was running a lot of miles I would at least try a car tire....they do look funny though....

I know it's not just one web site, and if they roll like that it's a place I don't belong.

I don't know about Darksiding yet, haven't tried it.  Might not if I don't end up keeping the ZG.

I've got to decide once I get her back on the road. 

My next bike won't be appropriate for a darkside setup, that much I know.   ;D
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Leo

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 06:27:48 AM »
datsaxman, thanks for the updates on tires, I am an old guy and still remember tires with tubes and rim strips. I even know how to repair a flattened inner tube with the wheel still on the bike.     What I wrote about was the recommendation at the time and I have actually successfully done that.   I have not had the need to improvise a set of tires since I rode a bike that had 18" rims on both ends. 

I have a pair of Michelins on the bike right now, and I spooned a pair of Dunlops on a bike last Saturday.  They still have directional arrows on them. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline mrwog

• Be well and safe
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 07:04:41 AM »
mrwog,

What are you looking for with this mod?  Quicker turn in?  After 40 years on motorcycles, I value stability in bad weather, on rough pavement, and over bumps and tar snakes and cracks more.  And I change my own, so I am looking for the longest mileage possible.  It is a big, heavy motorcycle, and it will never feel light and nimble.  Wrong bike for that. 

I went the opposite direction.  130/70R18 (rear) in the front.  175/78R16 in the back.  Over 15,000 miles and still way more than half of the tread left.

Narrower should give you quicker, and those sizes should work ok.  But what do I know?  YMMV.

Have been riding since 1967 and first time owning a Concours. While searching tire selection I had seen this tire size and was just wondering if anyone had this combo and popped it up for conversation is all.
some people are like Slinky's good for nothing but still fun when tossed down stairs