Author Topic: My Heated Clothing Control  (Read 3530 times)

Offline RedRambler

My Heated Clothing Control
« on: December 12, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
Here is my idea for a heated clothing controller.  I wanted something with convenient, easy to reach knobs, with no permanent mods to the bike.  It also needs to be easy to remove when not in use.

For this project I used a small Hammond die cast aluminum project box, and a small electronic control board that I designed, which uses an AVR microcontroller.  I mounted the control board to the lid of the box, and mounted the potentiometers to the bottom of the box.  I screwed a Ram-mount 1" ball to the lid also, and this allows a solid but adjustable position on the bike, between the handlebars.  Coaxial power jacks are mounted on the front wall of the box, allowing quick connections for both gloves and jacket.

Power comes from a jack mounted in the handlebar riser, which is fed from the accessory circuit.  I changed the accessory fuse to 10A, after inspecting the wiring and confirming it was appropriately sized.  I plan to eventually move the power feed to a dedicated circuit from the power distribution block under the seat.

The controller works great.  The only thing I wish it had but doesn't is lighted control knobs.  But, in truth, I don't ride that much when it is both cold and dark, so that should not be that much of an issue.

If anyone is feeling adventurous and wants to build one of these, PM me.  I will be happy to share the code and maybe even a bare circuit board.

RedRambler

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:54:13 PM by RedRambler »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: My Heated Clothing Control
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »
Nice work Red. I appreciate your ingenuity. Keep'em coming. Reminds me of one now departed.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
And here I thought it was all magic...  Used mine yesterday and today. 

Thanks for sharing that..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »
Great idea, nice job! :) Will this work with Gerbing ports and gear?

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Great Job Red, about 10 years ago I built a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) circuit and used it to control the heated gear.  If I remember right I used a fairly high frequency as compared to what Gerbing uses as I didn't care for the pulsating load on the bikes electrical system.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline RedRambler

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »
Yes, I use it with Gerbing gloves and a Gerbing jacket.

If I remember correctly, I have it set up to run at 100Hz.  The frequency isn't critical, though, and can be adjusted over a wide range.  It is pulse width modulated, so it is very efficient (no rheostat losses).

I'm using VN920SP chips to control the power.  They are really nice, rugged solid-state power control chips, and run extremely cool.

Its a good setup.

RR

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »

I have a PWM controller for mine that came from Sargent for the seat and I just "y"ed that for my vest too.  But then I put a varistor after the controller and before the seat so I could balance it (because the seat was SUPER hot).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RedRambler

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »
My original setup used some cheapy PWM controllers off Ebay, designed to control LED lighting systems.  They also work flawlessly, but they are a little larger than they need to be for this application.  Just about any PWM controller will work, as long as it can handle the current (10A).

RR

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:27:17 AM »
Red,
I'm interested in checking your ideas out?  I'm a retired Navy tech and like to work on electronic projects.  Please see your pm's.
 8)
Here is my idea for a heated clothing controller.  I wanted something with convenient, easy to reach knobs, with no permanent mods to the bike.  It also needs to be easy to remove when not in use.

For this project I used a small Hammond die cast aluminum project box, and a small electronic control board that I designed, which uses an AVR microcontroller.  I mounted the control board to the lid of the box, and mounted the potentiometers to the bottom of the box.  I screwed a Ram-mount 1" ball to the lid also, and this allows a solid but adjustable position on the bike, between the handlebars.  Coaxial power jacks are mounted on the front wall of the box, allowing quick connections for both gloves and jacket.

Power comes from a jack mounted in the handlebar riser, which is fed from the accessory circuit.  I changed the accessory fuse to 10A, after inspecting the wiring and confirming it was appropriately sized.  I plan to eventually move the power feed to a dedicated circuit from the power distribution block under the seat.

The controller works great.  The only thing I wish it had but doesn't is lighted control knobs.  But, in truth, I don't ride that much when it is both cold and dark, so that should not be that much of an issue.

If anyone is feeling adventurous and wants to build one of these, PM me.  I will be happy to share the code and maybe even a bare circuit board.

RedRambler

09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.