Author Topic: oops... cold tire and pavement = new plastics  (Read 6186 times)

Offline JS_racer

oops... cold tire and pavement = new plastics
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:18:16 AM »
not sure wtf happened. left my parking spot at work, out to the light and waited for it to be clear. once it was i took a right and in a few dozen feet i was tumbling and the bike was facing the other way on its right side. not sure what happened, if it was a lean angle and throttle on a cold tire or what.  :o bike is a 09 new in the box last June and has over 26k miles pounding it in the twisties. figured it was much more probable to have a big off in the twisties than less than a block from work. Guess my mind was elsewhere and the grunt of it got me with poor inputs. sure feel stupid though.

damage, not too bad, right outer case, front muffler cover, lower and mid right, slight scuff on the upper, and the mirror. learned my deductible went down to 0 with progressive, so this claim will put it back to 250 and not raise my rates. anyone know if progressive covers gloves or say aftermarket wings?

i did have one other drop on the same side shortly after i got it. was water skiing and drinking most of the day so my legs were good and shaky. took the bike out of the garage to move it to the other side. Driveway is a slope down, went across it in the steeper part and over it went, my 5'9" leg was a long ways from the ground. the wife was there, and of course a few neighbors walking to enjoy the show. slight damage to the same parts, just buffed them some and it looked good. guess i get to replace those after all.

in my sidi boots, the bottoms are very thin so i loose say that 1/2" compared to my work boots. my concerns are always when i have to walk the bike around, say on gravel or other non flat surfaces.

thanks for the ear,
Joel

Offline Conrad

Re: oops... cold tire and pavement = new plastics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »
Ouch!

So that's what happened to your air deflector eh?

Sorry about that chief.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
That sucks. Good luck with the repairs.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
Looks like $4500 in damage, or thereabouts. Good luck.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
Glad your ok J.
Sometimes those slower get offs can get the hands, wrists and elbows.
And those breaks can be interesting sometimes.
Ride safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline TXIN

• H-Minus
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
I had a bad get off on a Harley a bit over a year ago (hole in my leg, skin graft, real nasty) and I had then, and still have progressive. They DO cover some gear, but you normally have to give them the old gear, and they DO cover aftermarket accessories, I think $1500, without any questions.
Squeee!

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:54:00 AM »
Joel, real sorry about the fall.  Cold pavement & tire probably had a lot to contribute along with plenty of power turning out of the lot.  Any sand or gravel in that area?  At least you shouldn't miss much riding in our wonderful climate here with snow coming soon.  Fix her up real nice over the winter and you'll have a "new" bike in the Spring.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:08 AM »
all good don, did the swan run sunday, so it still rides great. parts need to be ordered so there is no huge hurry to fix it. heck we only have a day or two left anyways in the season. lol  :D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 05:07:00 AM »
all good don, did the swan run sunday, so it still rides great. parts need to be ordered so there is no huge hurry to fix it. heck we only have a day or two left anyways in the season. lol  :D

that's the spirit!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
amazing dealing with progressive. wow!!  :chugbeer:
my guy wrote up an estimate listing everything, even minor stuff. Also my gear and accessories were listed. long story short, say 24hours later i have 3 checks in my hand. gear, accessories, and the bike.
my gloves, they took a picture and wrote me a check, let me keep them. still very usable, just the pad in the palm covering was worn. no question, no fight. Next was my hand guards, took a picture, wrote the check from the receipt, no question and no fight. just need a plexi piece cut and its good as new.
the bike, no questions or fights, even the smallest stuff was no problem. say a slight scuff on the lip of the brake pedal, no question. the feeler on the foot peg, just small stuff was no fight and not questioned. took pictures and documented and paid more than the estimate.
now the question is, whats OK to live with. the pedal, one swipe with a file its good as new. the tail has a slight scuff from where the case hit it and 2 small scratches. so does the opposite side and i never have the cases off. might not spend that $200+. for sure the big stuff is getting fixed, no questions about it.
the thing I'm having a hard time with. the nose I'll call it, has a slight crack under the mirror, could most likely be fixed from the inside. washed it and its super hard to see or feel. if its a down the road issue I'll fix it no question. the nose has a few pits and chips from 26k miles, if i spend say $250 on this one, wont it look the same if I'm doing it for cosmetic reasons?? if the crack will spread, for sure its being replaced.  had and have no intentions of getting rich of crashing, but i don't want to waste money either. my guy will get it all anyways, on tires or the next valve check, or other services I'm sure.  ;)

so the checks were 2800 for the bike, 90 for my first gear tundra gloves, and 90ish for my hand wings. not terrible for sliding it back-wards down the road. just a painless experience dealing with progressive. not sure everyones is, but mine sure was.

anything else crazy I'll update with damage reports and such. might have tweaked the mirror support bracket thing. the gap is a tic off and the wind shield is out a tic on the right. the insurance guy said if anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let them know.

thanks guys,
Joel

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
Careful with not fixing or replacing everything they listed and paid for.

I've had issues with cages where the next accident had things that weren't covered because they didn't get fixed the first time (even though the were very minor the first time and bad the second). If they've paid to replace it once, and you can't show them you fixed/replaced it, they won't pay for it again.

Again, this is cager stuff, but I'd suspect the same with bike coverage.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
Careful with not fixing or replacing everything they listed and paid for.

I've had issues with cages where the next accident had things that weren't covered because they didn't get fixed the first time (even though the were very minor the first time and bad the second). If they've paid to replace it once, and you can't show them you fixed/replaced it, they won't pay for it again.

Again, this is cager stuff, but I'd suspect the same with bike coverage.
I'd absolutely second that. Got my mirror scratched along with other parts that were damaged when someone tipped my bike over...next time I actually had someone hit me and lots of damage...they had a picture of the mirror and wouldn't fix it. So I drove around without a right side mirror for a month until I could pony up the dough to get a new one.  >:(
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
It could have been one of those paint blocks for pedestrian walkways.  Those things get really slippery when it's at all wet or even when cold.  I keep thinking I should write the DOT and complain.  I've gone sideways a couple of times when I've hit them.  They should add some grit to the paint.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
How cold out was it?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
How cold out was it?

It was so cold, when we parked the sled, we either had to plug in the dogs - or keep them running in place!  ;).....
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000