Author Topic: experience with the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating Earphones?  (Read 6461 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Anyone have any thoughts or insight on these?

These are listed as "the replacement" for our favorite extreme noise cancelling Etymotic ER-6i plugs, and i need a set of ear buds. I broke mine and they were white and looking dirty/crappy anyway.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline powrtrippin

I've extensively used both the ER4s and the ER-6i for many years now. They are easily the best noise canceling earbuds I've ever owned. They do an effective job of blocking harmful outside noise while providing a listening experience that even the most critical audiophile couldn't complain about. They also fit inside my helmet nicely! So, if the MC5 is anything like it's predecessors they'll be just as amazing.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I've extensively used both the ER4s and the ER-6i for many years now. They are easily the best noise canceling earbuds I've ever owned. They do an effective job of blocking harmful outside noise while providing a listening experience that even the most critical audiophile couldn't complain about. They also fit inside my helmet nicely! So, if the MC5 is anything like it's predecessors they'll be just as amazing.

Thanks, thats what I'm thinkin' too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
I have a pair of Audio-Technica ear buds.  They're similar to the Etymotics, but I like them a little better because they sit flush with the ear.  This keeps me from knocking them out when I'm putting the helmet on.  You can also wear them with the cord in front of the ear or behind.  These things sound fabulous.  I thought they were crap when I first got them, but I realized I didn't have them inserted into my ear all the way.  Once that was done....

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bin/product_search/headphones/headphones.pl?select_3=Portable%20Headphones

I can't remember which ones mine are.  I can look at the model number when I get home if you're interested.  I believe they ran about $250 a few years ago.
I feel like a new person!

Offline Afm252

...I believe they ran about $250 a few years ago.

:o Holy sticker shock Batman...new helmet, seat mod, half way to pipes, but earbuds/ phones???
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
Guess that is a little expensive compared to the $90 for the others.  I had a $100 pair of Shure that weren't bad, but they fell out all the time and got uncomfortable.  I decided to upgrade and I picked these mostly because of the fact that they sat flush with my ear.  They sound great on any bike at any speed. 

And besides, who needs all that other stuff??   :P
I feel like a new person!

Offline powrtrippin

:o Holy sticker shock Batman...new helmet, seat mod, half way to pipes, but earbuds/ phones???

The Etymotic ER-4P set that I'm using now were in the area of $270. Well worth it for everyday use?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
thanks guys

yea I really want a cheap set of plugs mainly focusing on high noise isolation I can beat the $#%^ out of rain/shine/etc on my upcoming cross country excursion. I'm still leaning towards the $70 MC5's

Offline Viking

Panasonic makes a passive noise reduction earbud for about $25.
They work quite well.
Purchased mine at Staples (Office Depot) in Canada.

I don't recall the model number, but the earpiece is made of foam you have to roll just like the foam in-ear hearing protectors.
They have a very short profile which is ideal for inside the helmet.

Offline Flying Kaw

• Arena
I've been using noise isolating in-ear monitors for 6 years now while riding.  The Etymotics are good.  The Shure E series isn't bad.  But both hurt my ears after using them for 5 or 6 days in a row.

However the S-PLUG does not hurt.  It has excellent noise isolation and sound quality.  The S-PLUG has absolutely the lowest profile of ANY of the in-ear noise isolation monitors.   They cost $150.

http://plugup.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=2727b019a893cdee62e4f69ff4a5d94a
If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist you'll have to vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an IDIOT.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: experience with the Etymotic Research MC5 Noise Isolating Earphones?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
They look like they would stick out too much to put a helmet on.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »
I'll stick with the 10 dollar Skullcandy earphones that have a lifetime warranty. They sound just fine, and block an amazing amount of noise for something that cheap.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »
I think my ER6's were about $70 on Amazon when I got them.  You can usually get things like that for a lot better price than retail through Amazon.  Those look like they stick out about as far as the ER6 and I have no issues whatsoever with them contacting the helmet.

The only real grip I have is that as the rubber ear grommets wear, they tend to pull out of the earplugs and get stuck in your head.  I have an extraction tool I fashioned from a paper clip in the event of those occurrences.

Offline Bigcat

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
I've tried everything mentioned so far and have just switched to these.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/sport-earbuds-headphones-sennheiser-adidas-running-workouts-gym-fitness_504603

By far the most comfortable for MY ear. Almost flush with my ear with excellent sound quality and noise cancelling. Wore them for about three hours and didn't even feel them with the helmet on.
09 C-14 abs
98 CBR1100XX

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
i haven't had probs with any plugs sticking out too far to put my helmet on. sometimes I have to adjust but thats rare

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
I had Shures and liked them but after losing them after having them for three years, I got the ER6s and love them. They fit much better under the helmet, block sound as well and are more comfortable. I was ordering custom earpieces for the Shures and planned on getting them for the ER6s but after using them on trips they haven't bothered me so I haven't got the custom molded ones yet.

As for using Skullcandy earphones, I would recommend getting something that blocks more sound if you want to retain your hearing longer. The Skullcandy earphones and others like them don't block enough sound to protect your ears. You will also end up turning the volume up on your music so you can hear them better further aggravating the problem. With the ER6s or the Shures you won't have to turn the volume up as much in order to hear your music or audiobook.