Author Topic: Facebook.... I don't get it.  (Read 20354 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Facebook.... I don't get it.
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
So I finally signed up with Facebook and stumbled around in there for a while. It seems to be a random stream of consciousness and even the 'organized' areas are not organized in any way other than time that I can tell.

I checked out the C-14 site, at least the one I found, and did not recognize very many people. Not too much going on there regarding content either, again, as far as I can tell. ??

Am I missing the wonderfulness or is it like almost everything on TV- a 'vast wasteland'?

Now I am off to check out the BMW sites, both local and national. I will say this, their dues are very reasonable IMO although most of their rallies seem to be based on camping rather than 'moteling'.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Cuda

Re: Facebook.... I don't get it.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
What is this facebook you speak of ?
Sounds like a form of egocentricity!

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:24:17 AM »
Someone needs to develop a separate social network for people who can't spell and have no concept of grammar.

They could call it "Fasebuk".
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:50:19 AM »
I refuse to join.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
I did too but finally figured I was missing something. And I may well be missing something but it just seems like an awfully random scramble of thoughts. Well, not really thoughts but more of the things inside our heads that should not be let out in the first place.

Anyway, no harm done- I went, I looked, I shrugged my shoulders. ?

Brian

I refuse to join.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
Warning:  Curmudgeon alert:

Welcome to the fragmentation of normal life brought to you by modern technology.

The modern theme of 'Express Yourself' is an empty shell to me.

Many don't let the fact that they don't have something worth saying, keep them from saying it anyway.

I guess we all have the right to do it, but there is far too much noise as a result.

As a society, we are so busy being the most overly 'expressed' and overly 'communicated' people ever, we miss out on what's meaningful.

A side note:

Does the word 'amazing' seem over used to anyone else?

As in:  "I brushed my teeth this morning with a new brand of toothpaste and I was like, OMG, this is so amazing."

How can it be amazing if its normal?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
It's that fresh minty breath. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »
I find it pretty useful to stay in touch with extended family and old friends.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
I'll see that curmudgeon-ness and raise you one: I find that humans are generally like cats: they pay attention until the string stops moving and then wait for movement somewhere else.  What I am finding lately is that all the people around me cannot simply do something like watch TV or eat a meal, they must combine both with twiddling on either a smartphone or a tablet. So when something like a TV show or movie is watched, all the subtly, significant portions of the video and absolutely all the typed messages (that set the stage for whatever is going on) are missed entirely. I used to stop the video stream and point this out but found that this annoyed the people who were 'watching' because "I know what is going on". But in fact, he / she has NO IDEA AT ALL what is going on and further, they are perfectly happy with that.

Conversations are going the same way- someone interrupts a thought and that is the end of that. Put simply, it seems to me that people simply vomit out words that may or may not form a sentence but at any rate, it makes little sense, is of no value and is usually incorrect.

Now here is the really scary thing: these people put down their tablets / smart phones just long enough to do some real damage..... like voting. And this tread is not new because....

"The multitude of fools is a protection to the wise. "
-Marcus T. Cicero

Brian

Warning:  Curmudgeon alert:

Welcome to the fragmentation of normal life brought to you by modern technology.

The modern theme of 'Express Yourself' is an empty shell to me.

Many don't let the fact that they don't have something worth saying, keep them from saying it anyway.

I guess we all have the right to do it, but there is far too much noise as a result.

As a society, we are so busy being the most overly 'expressed' and overly 'communicated' people ever, we miss out on what's meaningful.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

Exactly! Facebook is invaluable for that. I've been able to get in touch with old pals that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Brian, you can just learn to filter things. If one of your friends posts too much about useless crap, you can "hide" them from your newsfeed.

Facebook is a great way to waste time, which can be very valuable!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
....and so here we are.   ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »
Sounds like the forum...but different as it's about motorcycles... ::) ......oh my.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
I found it very different from a forum- forums are organized into sections and then threads. Sure the threads drift but still, I can scan the C-14 section(s) for example and not read through any C-10 stuff. But imagine this forum if all the sections and even threads were gone and it was just one stream of.... well, whatever that would be :-)  Chaos at best. That is how I found Facebook is bearing in mind that I spent maybe one hour in there and certainly do not know my way around. But honestly as far as I could tell, there just was not much substance there. As an earlier poster said, it is a great place to say things that perhaps were better left unsaid :-)

And by the way, I am not bashing it in any way- merely saying that I did not find it to be of any interest to me. For those who like it, great!

Brian

Sounds like the forum...but different as it's about motorcycles... ::) ......oh my.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
Has everyone forgotten I brushed my teeth today? 

Haven't been getting any 'LIKES' and am feeling neglected.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »
I spend more time on Facebook than forums. But I play those stupid games too.
Joel from Maine.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »
I think I have 3 or 4 facebook accounts that I don't know how to get back into.  Signed up to see some manufacturer's information,  locked down the account and then never went back until the next time I wanted to see some manufacturer's information.  Then it was easier to create a new account than to try to figure out what the old account was. 

I have looked at my wife's facebook from time to time and it does look like a good way to keep up with what is going on with family, but I just let her fill me in on people I am interested in.  LOL!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Cuda

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
I like these 2 pages for bikes.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewEnglandRiders/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Concours14/

Wellll since I shut down the account my wife started for me years ago ... I don't see anything ;D
My older brother who is a well known Attorney feels the same, the less people know the better ;)
I waste too much time just on a few forums, would get nothing done if I did facelessbook.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Son of Pappy

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:57 AM »
SOP Dirt-Rider Send me a "friends request" :)

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »

If I wanted to keep in touch with those people, I would.  I've known how to use a phone and pen and paper for many years now.

I don't have an FB account, never had a MySpace, and I think I have a Google+ just because they give it to you with a Gmail account.  my kids bug me about it sometimes, saying it would be easier to get hold of me.  If it's important, you'll find a way.  Otherwise, I don't need to know what you had for dinner, are watching on TV, or who you're dating.  You're adults, go live your lives, and let me know when you want some advice that you are going to follow anyway.

1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?