Author Topic: Engine builder around central illinois  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Engine builder around central illinois
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »
Finally getting the little Kawasaki KZ250 put together for the wife. So far attempting to do everything myself, but thinking I need to farm out the engine rebuilding process. Basically just need to be stripped down for powder coating and just put new sets of gaskets, etc. The engine ran fine when the bike was put away (roughly year and half ago) and it turns over nice and good when I attempted it just a few days back. It just makes a racket - metallic noise - my internet research yields that it is either the cam chain or something to do with starter motor. But do not want to rule out piston slap or something to do with the valves. So, need a competent engine guy to check all that out as well while it is stripped down.

The question is - does anyone know of a competent mechanic around central Illinois - or perhaps one of the members here that can help me out for a modest sum?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Engine builder around central illinois
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:08:41 AM »
Is the bike still together?

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
Bike is pretty much together. I had cam out to check on the speedo gear - could not get the speedo gear out for love of god. I also checked the cam chain and tensioner. But I put all that together again to see if the engine noise is gone. I am currently working on checking the starter and starter chain. But that can be put together in no time.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
A brother of mine lives over by Champaign. He's been working on bikes since Jesus was just a lad. If that's not to far and he's interested I can out you in touch. Let me know.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Sent you a PM
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14