Author Topic: Oil collecting in intake manifold (putting flies back in)  (Read 4244 times)

Offline kzz1king

Re: Oil collecting in intake manifold (putting flies back in)
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Year's back a buddy of mine put a K ~N in his Magna before a 200 mile ride. We were rolling along pretty good and  he run out of gas way before he should have. We had to soak as much of the oil out as we could of it until he got some place to re service it.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
Points taken on the K&N and zero offense taken.  In fact, thank you for taking the time to type it all out.

I clean, air dry (usually overnight), and spray the aerosol from a distance. I know these things don't need a lot.  Whenever I go into an engine part, I use white paper towels to see what color any residue/dirt/fluid is and a sniff never hurts.  The fluid was engine oil, without any inconsistency in color or viscosity.

I'll go back in a month or two and see what's there just to check.

MANY thanks for the time to help.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Points taken on the K&N and zero offense taken.  In fact, thank you for taking the time to type it all out.

I clean, air dry (usually overnight), and spray the aerosol from a distance. I know these things don't need a lot.  Whenever I go into an engine part, I use white paper towels to see what color any residue/dirt/fluid is and a sniff never hurts.  The fluid was engine oil, without any inconsistency in color or viscosity.

I'll go back in a month or two and see what's there just to check.

MANY thanks for the time to help.

sincerely you are very welcome,
the best 'payment' I ever recieve for sharing is the 'thanks' part.
I think you are well on the way to happy things.
You did really well, comeback, and tell what truley existed, and I thank you for that.

I think after 'pullin the marble', and putting her back to a point, and doing te cool flash mods, you will never have oil pooling in the air box...(well, making sure to blow that drain line out from top to bottom, with the cap off the "pill bottle' there, and also a quick spurt of air, from the airbox tru the hose that vents the crank case, with the oil filler cap OFF, should suffice.)

ride safe, and PLEASE, report back, and tell us the results.. it helps everyone here.
 I say this earnestly, as soo many people come here, for a free answer to an issue, and never come back to tell the results.., and we repeat this in an ongoing venture, to help.

don't disappear after it's fixed, please. And always feel free to ask, and share here.. it's why we are doing this...
(oh, and to argue about oil, tires, and other b/s, that doesn't really relate to bikes... )

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
leave the pair hose blocked. it has nothing to do with the oil leak, and won't change anything either way with the flash. Steve

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
leave the pair hose blocked. it has nothing to do with the oil leak, and won't change anything either way with the flash. Steve

thank you, and I agree, but I wanted him to put it back to OEM, which I know you have as a base point.., and if you supplied a flash, based on base point, it may effect it/.. ..no?
you and I know what I speak of. (I also asked because someone made a comment about the PAIR valve's "function", thus my enjoyment when it was said to be blocked, and actually not in the 'loop' as a cause..)
 That said, I know, just how much you have had to spend time, going over hidden points, to remain the Best Tuner, I know... .. luv  ya bro.

it's the little things that always fug us on analysis.

agreed?

(jeeeebus dude, come back here and help me dispel (clarify) some of the stuff people write here every day...myself included, because i'm old and my mind don't werk rite....sumtymz... PLEEEEEEEEZE....) :'( ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 03:04:34 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
ride safe, and PLEASE, report back, and tell us the results.. it helps everyone here.
 I say this earnestly, as soo many people come here, for a free answer to an issue, and never come back to tell the results.., and we repeat this in an ongoing venture, to help.

+1 !!  It is how we learn
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
+1 !!  It is how we learn

:thumbs: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yep, that, and the fact we keep doing this, all our lives.....meh, we are just mere mortals...

Offline jimbob_sf

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »
This is what happens when someone thinks they know what they are doing and does something that actually causes problems....

I pulled the steel ball out (it was the center of a mouse ball, not a marble), plugged in the ECU (mountain runner), adjusted the throttle cables, and it's running perfectly.  The decel popping is negligible.  The front end got light in 3rd gear at 7k+ rpm going up a hill on the highway.  Having the front end wiggle as the speedo blurs past 80 is absolutely hilarious.

Back to the smart guy.  Laugh with me on this.  If my bike had a real problem with that much oil collecting all the time, I'd have a lot more issues, right?  "You" kept on saying there may be other sources of the fluid I photographed.  Maybe this explains things...

Over the spring and summer, the bike started running rough at cold startup and was basically dangerous until it was warm.  It had the valves adjusted < 5k miles ago, so I assumed the engine was due for a Sea Foam soak treatment and additive to the gas.  This smart guy forgot that a month ago, I pulled the air filter and, wait for it, emptied a can of Sea Foam aerosol into the manifold.  I knew there was a drain hose, but didn't know the collector down by the shifter has a cap on it!  The collector and hose were full of a fluid that was less viscous than oil.  Duh.  The Sea Foam that didn't get sucked into the intake had filled the hose and was still sitting in the manifold to make the "lake" in my pictures.

I've sufficiently chastised myself for rushing through the foaming.  If you all hadn't persisted in poking at a story that didn't add up, I never would have kept looking at the problem.  THANK YOU!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »
LOL!  Great story.  Glad it is going well now.

PS- when mine starts to idle rough when cold, I run a tank with Techron additive through it and it clears it right up for another year :)  Seems to be one of those "snake oils" that actually works.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
help us out here...
are you talking about the black linear area, in the photo, behind the velocity stacks?

I'm not seeing a 'pool'.
valve cover gasket ( as opposed to HEAD Gasket another misnomer,) doesn't equate either...
as they are external, and not related to the issue..(the weepage on the front is likely a bad o ring on the exhaust cam sensor up front.. very common.) again, not related.

maybe some blockage in the airbox drain line...? ( I assume this is what you are calling 'manifold', vs airbox...) which is what the photo shows...

I have seen occasional plugging of the crankcase vent, that runs from under the airbox, to the crank case venting cover below it on the engine, but the only time oil ends up in the box via that hose, is on a turbocharged conversion, where the crankcase is pressurized... which ain't the case here..

wipe it all down, and replace the flies, as you were doing. check the drain line from the airbox, and the plastic collector bottle at the bottom, down on the left, by the idle adjuster screw, and tank drain..
and If in fact you were running a K&N filter, that was over oiled, stop using so much oil on it... go back to a factory airfilter for the next 20k miles, and re check.

not much to say, just from one poor photo, and a description like this...

has nothing to do with the cam chain tensioner either.... check the drain line and empty it, and blow air down thru it from the top, and re cap the bottom..( it can't really suck air back up, if it's capped.).

I guess reading the second response to your posting, and following the logic.... simply wasn't satisfying, or worth reading...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :deadhorse: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

glad it all "worked out", in the end...... :finger_fing11: :finger_fing11: :chugbeer:

This is what happens when someone thinks they know what they are doing and does something that actually causes problems....

..... so I assumed the engine was due for a Sea Foam soak treatment and additive to the gas.  This smart guy forgot that a month ago, I pulled the air filter and, wait for it, emptied a can of Sea Foam aerosol into the manifold.  I knew there was a drain hose, but didn't know the collector down by the shifter has a cap on it!  The collector and hose were full of a fluid that was less viscous than oil.  Duh.  The Sea Foam that didn't get sucked into the intake had filled the hose and was still sitting in the manifold to make the "lake" in my pictures.

I've sufficiently chastised myself for rushing through the foaming.  If you all hadn't persisted in poking at a story that didn't add up, I never would have kept looking at the problem.  THANK YOU!

oh, and I would NEVER recommend spaying a can of SeaFoam, Into the airbox, or even into the air intake venturies on this model...  it simply doesn't do anything other than clean the throttle plates, or the intake path, but it can result in damages $$$ far above any benefit. Dumping stuff in fuel, maybe, as it goes thru the injectors, but even then, anything it's cleaning is kinda minimal.

good job, carry on, and ride safe... (and don't spray stuff where it doesn't belong  ;)  )