Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66310 times)

Offline theAmazingKickstand

What tires to get?
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed over the last 5 years but whats the general consensus?
I only care about longevity and wet weather. I sit on the freeway for 80 miles/day and don't ride for fun.
What tires y'all use? What's the deal with going to 55? Has anyone tried a 180?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 02:33:01 PM by theAmazingKickstand »

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
'Don't ride fun'?  What's the point?  Wet weather and longevity....PR3.  The 55s supposedly help the cornering....I don't see any difference than with the stock tire size, myself.  If you're aren't into 'fun' then stick with the stock sizes or get a car tire.  I don't think that K491s work on this bike.... ::)

Tire thread!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
Im sure this has been discussed over the last 5 years but whats the general consensus?
I only care about longevity and wet weather. I sit on the freeway for 80 miles/day and don't ride fun.

Please use the search function... there are dozens of tire threads!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
Real quick:

Use premium tires and you will be fine. The longest lasting premium tire that I know of is a Michelin PR2 (Note: not a PR3).

There is no consensus. But for your next post, ask what the consensus is about plugging motorcycle tires.  :rotflmao:

Michelin PR3's are better in the rain than PR2's but I found the -2's adequate.

Tire size is more of a personal choice.

Yes, some have used a 180/55-17 on C-14's with reported good results. For tire size info. do a search but just whistling down the highway you really can't go wrong with the stock tire size 190/50-17.

Brian

I only care about longevity and wet weather. I sit on the freeway for 80 miles/day and don't ride for fun.

Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

jirod

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
My vote goes for PR3. I looked everywhere for data and the PR3 were the winners. Have had them for a few weeks and I really like them.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »
Car tire ... put soap in your mouth :yikes:
Yeah you can spin anything when wet. 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
'Don't ride fun'?  What's the point?  Wet weather and longevity....PR3.  The 55s supposedly help the cornering....I don't see any difference than with the stock tire size, myself.  If you're aren't into 'fun' then stick with the stock sizes or get a car tire.  I don't think that K491s work on this bike.... ::)

Tire thread!

You said "car tire!"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
Car tires? What an interesting thought Jim. Tell us please, what are the advantages to using a car tire on a motorcycle? Do they even fit the wheels? Is such use legal in all 50 states? Please elaborate on this fascinating subject.

<car tire thread now>

Brian

<snip>

If you're aren't into 'fun' then stick with the stock sizes or get a car tire.  I don't think that K491s work on this bike.... ::)

Tire thread!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 04:57:52 AM »
.............Yes, some have used a 180/55-17 on C-14's with reported good results..........
Brian

190/55 here, think that's the more popular 55 size.   :)

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:57 AM »
You said "car tire!"

Why yes, yes I did say that didn't I?  My sarcasm meter was pegging out when I said that.  The C14 is a very good bike and not using it to it's potential seems quite incredulous to me but to each his own.  It doesn't mean I can't be a bit sarcastic when I want to be, though. 

Like that smiley... :D

Brian, you are approaching but not quite there yet, Twit status.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Zteve

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »
Just bought another set of PR2's. Tried the PR3's, liked them but got a little less mileage out of em.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »
Why yes, yes I did say that didn't I?  My sarcasm meter was pegging out when I said that.  The C14 is a very good bike and not using it to it's potential seems quite incredulous to me but to each his own.  It doesn't mean I can't be a bit sarcastic when I want to be, though. 

Like that smiley... :D

Brian, you are approaching but not quite there yet, Twit status.

I thought the smiley was appropriate.  :D I know you were being sarcastic, don't worry, I didn't believe you had gone over to the Dark Side.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Not for one  :censored: second!

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
The jury is still out as far as milage goes but a number of people have installed a pair of Pirelli Angel GT tires.  They have been getting great reviews in Europe from sport bike riders that log high speed hwy miles.  The 'A' spec for the rear is the proper tire to use according to Pirelli.  I have a set waiting. Another tire tire that gets good reviews for hwy mileage is the Bridgestone BT023 'GT" size going to 190/55/17 in the rear. These are pretty good price.  I actually love the hwy and like getting away on two day rides, the farther away the better. That is why I could never see putting on a tire that gets 4,000 miles no matter how good it feels in the corners. 
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »
Quote from: theAmazingKickstand
 I sit on the freeway for 80 miles/day and don't ride for fun.[/quote

I'd stick with the stockers, you could probably get 500 pairs for shipping alone from anyone that hasn't thrown them out already and they were the Least Fun of any tire Iv'e had so far.
 :doublepuke:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:30:01 PM by JerBear »
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 06:16:17 PM »
Winner!  Supposedly their no fun at all.  Should fit right in with the OP's requirements except for the fact that their wet weatherness might not be up to snuff.  And to tell you the truth I thought that they were not that bad for performance either.  The fronts wore out first.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 01:53:29 AM »
I have over 18,000 miles on a PR2 front; mostly slabbin', but some corner carvin' too. The Bridgestone 021 was a dangerous, worn-out P.O.S. at 6,000 miles for comparison. The PR2 is an incredible tire, and I'm buying another soon. I'm glad I took the advice in this forum.

Offline TallyRex

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:31 AM »
I love PR2s and they are great in the rain

Offline pistole

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
beat me with a stick also I won't put a set of stock Bridgestone tyres back onto my C14.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 06:24:34 AM »
I wouldn't either as there are better performing brands..