Author Topic: What tires to get?  (Read 66292 times)

Offline PH14

Re: What tires to get?
« Reply #180 on: September 06, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »
Here are the PR4 GTs after almost 4,000 miles, right at around 3,800 miles. I have done mostly long trips on them so far. They handle great, ride well and have great grip on dry and wet roads. Lots of highway droning and plenty of fun twisty riding through Southern Missouri and Arkansas.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »
Here are the PR4 GTs after almost 4,000 miles, right at around 3,800 miles. I have done mostly long trips on them so far. They handle great, ride well and have great grip on dry and wet roads. Lots of highway droning and plenty of fun twisty riding through Southern Missouri and Arkansas.

You are trying to trick us- those are two pictures of the back tire only :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:09 AM »
  Well the strangest thing happened to me.  I changed the rear tire out over the weekend. Installed another Continental. Guy I was with on a lunch ride Yesterday made me offer I could not refuse.  I am without a Connie again.  I have owned 4 of these bikes. I get them how I like them and someone comes along and takes them home.  I know he is going to enjoy the bike.  I not  sure what I am doing yet.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »
 :yikes: can't do without something

Offline PH14

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:40 AM »

:D

Yeah, sorry, back tire only. The front was covered up when I took the pictures and I did;t feel like removing the cover. I'll post a picture of the front later.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »
:yikes: can't do without something

I am already shopping.

Offline brant bandit

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:44 AM »
FWIW I love my new T30 GT's (55 rear)

Great grip, and the bike just flicks into corners like crazy!
2014 Concours 1400 in black (the fastest colour)
COG# 11854

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »

Can we see the sides of the tires too  ;)

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »

How much tread do you have left after those miles?

On my PR4GTs there is 5.5mm left after a 1881mi trip through the Rockies.

Offline PH14

« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »

How much tread do you have left after those miles?

On my PR4GTs there is 5.5mm left after a 1881mi trip through the Rockies.

I haven't measured. I'll try to measure and get back to you. I am not sure I have my gauge here. I moved for six months and left a lot behind.

Offline PH14

« Reply #190 on: October 21, 2015, 01:06:42 PM »

Okay, here are the front tires after about 4,000 miles. As I said, these tires have been used predominately on the highway for long trips. It has been sitting other than that this Summer, and all, other than my trip from Pittsburgh to Branson, MO, has been two up riding.

I haven't measured tread depth, I believe my gauge is back in Pittsburgh.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #191 on: October 21, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
They look pretty good.  You need to put on some more weight.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Well my try at the T30 GT. Love the 55 profile swear it takes 200 lbs away from the bike, they gripped awesome and performed well. The problem was i wore the edges out on the rear in 2700 miles. The below pics are after my trip to the mountians of TN, NC, VA and WV. there's about 1000 slab miles and 1700 2 lane twisty road miles on these and ive worn out the edges to the wear bars. The center looks like i could go another 4000 slab on them but not much left on the sides. Pressure always at 42 (checked every morning) most of the miles were after I emptied my bags at the hotel. The front is wearing great, nice even wear and id expect another 5000 to 6000 out of it. Not sure where to go from here, like to make a suspension adjustment to try another rear, mainly to keep a matching set on the bike. As well as the pre mature wear i was also getting feathering at the rear of the tread sipes. Now I'm fairly quick on the old heavy gal and I'm dragging peg and other hard parts when I'm giving her hell so i know this is just a result of heavy bike, heavy rider and weekend on the sickest twisty roads in america but would like to try and prolong the tire life on the next go round.

Offline PH14

« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2015, 09:18:40 PM »
They look pretty good.  You need to put on some more weight.

:rotflmao:

No thanks. I've actually taken off some weight this Summer by riding my bicycle to the show every day.

The C14 has been heavily loaded though for much of the miles on these tires though. We rode two up to Mt. Rushmore and back with the bags loaded, a tank bag and a tail pack. Neither of us are overweight though. I am anal about tire pressure though.

The fronts are wearing better than other tires I've had, with no discernible cupping yet.

Offline Bunk

« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2016, 07:35:28 AM »
So these tremendously straight northern Indiana roads had sufficiently squared off the stock rubber.  I just replaced them with Angel GT A-Specs with a 55 in the rear.  All I can say is "Wow!"  It's like a whole new bike!  This thing will never see another 50.  Though looking back at this thread now, I wish I had thought to get the stems done when I replaced the tires.  They sure don't make it easy to air 'em up.

VStar 950 > GL1800 > Concours 14
Candy Cardinal Red (Best Color) Cee Bailey Ultra-Tour - Helibars Risers -Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawi Top Box - Phil's Farkles Luggage Rack - Ram Mount with FingerGrip Phone Cradle - Sena 20S - Schuberth C3

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
I currently have T30's on front and rear (not the GT version) and will be replacing the rear after only 6400 miles. I am down to the wear bars on them. I typically get more miles out of tires than this and will be going to the PR4 GT.

The front tire only has 2400 miles on it, so it will stay a little longer as there are several thousand miles left on them. When they are done, PR4 GT will go there too.

I got the extended, extended warranty and will get the TPS swap when the tires are done.  If I had not been getting that done, the stealer wanted to charge $135 for the rear alone (if I bring the bike, not just the wheel). That's amazing they want that much for it. As is, I only have to pay $22 to replace the tire now, which is reasonable, but seems like it should be less since they have to remove it for the warranty job and they are getting a tire sale as well.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:06 PM »
Almost time to replace the PR 4 GTs that came with the bike. I have only put 1600 miles on them but they have 11,000.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #197 on: June 23, 2016, 03:09:40 PM »
After only getting around 3100 miles out of 2 different T30 GT rears I switched up to PR4's. I was mid trip to deal gap and used up the reast of that rear and stopped in at Wheeler's in Robinsville and had him spoon me on a pair, he had them at i decent price. So far they feel no different that the T30 and are gripping well, and no feathering yet like the T30s would when i railed on them on the twisties. Only have about 600 miles on them ill report back when i have more.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
I switched up to PR4's. . Only have about 600 miles on them ill report back when i have more.
Sweet!
I can't wait to hear the review on these new exciting tires. Everyone has been so hush hush about them. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline rwnielsen

« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
I had PR4's on mine when I bought it. I was glad when they were done, they tracked  every line in the road. I switched to Dunlop Roadsmart II's. I don't know how they behave in the rain but that's not too important to me