Author Topic: I'm Scared to lean now...  (Read 45473 times)

Offline jscon2011

I'm Scared to lean now...
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:18:01 AM »
Some of you may remember I totaled my 2012 Connie recently.  It happened while leaning into a turn and hitting a patch of sand. That back tire slide-out felt like betrayal after 12 years of riding accident free... I had always put a lot of stock in my rubber and my contact with the road.

Anyways, insurance got me another Connie so I'm back to riding but now I ride it way more conservatively - I'm pretty scared going into turns and don't lean it over much at all. When I do, it's not very fun because I'm basically waiting for it to slide out. Each successful turn feels like I cheated maim and injury.

Any tips? Will it come back? I've learned a lot about road conditions and appraisal after the wreck but I think this new fear is a bit unwarranted. I'd like to resume scraping my pegs on occasion without fear...

Sleeping Connie is sleeping.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: I'm Scared to lean now...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:14:21 AM »
Many years ago with my first bike (Honda Silver Wing) I went around a corner and slid out on powdered asphalt.  From then on I always try to keep an eye on the road surface.  I can't say that I'm overly cautious but I do pay attention to what's lying on the road.  I've had a few slips since then but no downs.  I like MCing too much to stop riding.  I think if the desire to ride is there then eventually you'll get your confidence back.  If you don't, it's time to try other things.  I believe what you are feeling is quite normal, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:48:09 AM »
Just a thought...how about taking an experienced rider course in your area to get a little retraining under controlled conditions? :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:10:43 AM »
It's a normal survival response. It eases up.You won't notice it so much after the third crash.  8)

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:41 AM »
I always look thru the turn looking for debris. The road is not a race track so you have
to do your due diligence in looking for road kill and debris

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »
Track day

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
Wow, bummer! But it does sound like a totally normal adult response. I've never wiped out but I know when I have close calls I ride more cautiously for awhile. I think what Jim said, it will come back but if not maybe look for another activity. I hope your enjoyment and confidence returns.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
Most people never do get comfy on a bike. The same people that get 10,000 miles out of their tires. ;)
I think the advanced rider course is a great idea.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
Most people never do get comfy on a bike. The same people that get 10,000 miles out of their tires. ;)
;D, that makes me feel better about the 5000 mile average on my sneakers
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:22:37 PM »
So is 6k a bad thing? 

I don't think so, means I'm having fun, what I bought the dang thing for.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 03:27:58 PM »
I always look thru the turn looking for debris. The road is not a race track so you have
to do your due diligence in looking for road kill and debris

+1

I am constantly looking at the road for debris, holes, sand, etc.  I just always hope I see it in time.  And I will take corners slow on which the road has little visibility.  Just too risky.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
Most people never do get comfy on a bike.

One might even say those who DO get comfy might get themselves in trouble
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »
I would like to know how much you have to exceed the speed limit to touch down a peg when properly negotiating a curve.  I have never touched a peg down and have exceeded the limit by 20 mph which is the fastest I will ever exceed because I need my license for work.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
I would like to know how much you have to exceed the speed limit to touch down a peg when properly negotiating a curve.

Probably a lot faster than *I* would ever go :)

I have never touched a peg down and have exceeded the limit by 20 mph

I have taken ramps more than 20 mph over and nowhere near peg zone (and with my bike lowered, I expect my peg touching would happen even sooner than most)... but I think in VA they are crazy pessimistic with suggested (ramps and yellow signs) and actual speed limits.  In fact, on corners and ramps, I usually automatically add 20 MPH to the suggested limit and consider that only mildly spirited.

which is the fastest I will ever exceed because I need my license for work.

In my case, I just value my life more than a license.  For slab/Interstate/highway, I automatically take 5, often take 9, and will typically only go faster only if it appears to be with the flow of traffic (inotherwords, good chance of someone ELSE getting the ticket, not me).

Of course that doesn't count the few places where I can't resist zooming to 110+ for a quick wakeup ;)  (But those are quite rare, and only with excellent conditions- flat, smooth, clean, good weather, great visibility, no traffic, etc).  Hey- it is good for the engine....

Offline Throttle 8

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
I would like to know how much you have to exceed the speed limit to touch down a peg when properly negotiating a curve.  I have never touched a peg down and have exceeded the limit by 20 mph which is the fastest I will ever exceed because I need my license for work.

Back in my youth, before I grew up and realized I was mortal; we used to run ramps. In order to scrape the pegs on a SS, you would typically have to be doing at least twice the  limit. 
2014 C14
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
Ahh.  I never think about ramps.  They are not on my radar or near where I normally ride.  If I do a jaunt on the interstate, it is because I am loaded down and heading somewhere to far away to stay on the back roads. Mostly ride the country two lane in the hills of middle Tennessee. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
Ahh.  I never think about ramps.  They are not on my radar or near where I normally ride.  If I do a jaunt on the interstate, it is because I am loaded down and heading somewhere to far away to stay on the back roads. Mostly ride the country two lane in the hills of middle Tennessee.

Unfortunately, around here, if I don't use interstates, it often takes forever to get somewhere where riding isn't just an endless sea of traffic lights.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 07:54:24 PM »
Some of you may remember I totaled my 2012 Connie recently.  It happened while leaning into a turn and hitting a patch of sand. That back tire slide-out felt like betrayal after 12 years of riding accident free... I had always put a lot of stock in my rubber and my contact with the road.

Anyways, insurance got me another Connie so I'm back to riding but now I ride it way more conservatively - I'm pretty scared going into turns and don't lean it over much at all. When I do, it's not very fun because I'm basically waiting for it to slide out. Each successful turn feels like I cheated maim and injury.

Any tips? Will it come back? I've learned a lot about road conditions and appraisal after the wreck but I think this new fear is a bit unwarranted. I'd like to resume scraping my pegs on occasion without fear...

When on the original Crapstone 021 tires, I had a couple of tank slappers that almost ended my bikin' career the wrong way and destroyed my confidence of 40 years until I junked them for a decent pair of Michelin PR2's- almost immediately that *hit-eating grin came back again.   

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
Scraping your pegs should be a warning, not a goal. Just my .02
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

sailor_chic

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »

Really?? So since I got 11,600 out of my tires, that now means that I am not comfortable on my bike. I would say your wrong and that your generalization is far off from reality.
Nope, I will correct myself. Last week when I was crossing Ontario I was about 275 miles into my day, with another 150 miles to go. It was a driving rain with a stiff head wind, and the temps were showing at 53*F. So yeah, I wasnt comfortable on my bike.