Author Topic: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14  (Read 41748 times)

Offline Mimurph

Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14
« on: July 17, 2011, 04:54:31 AM »
Now I know that issues tend to overpower all the good aspects of a vehicle, but let me tell you my story. I have been riding Honda,Yamaha Suzuki for 22 years.  Total of 7 bikes. Only had two brand new bikes .
I am the mimurph that got rear ended and my bike will probably be totaled.  I am reading as much info on the c-14 as I can because im a fanatic when it come to that.  To tell you the truth, I dont get the same warm fuzzy feeling that i had with most of my other bikes. The concourse seems to have some quirks, like the brakes, valve adjustments, Kipass and stuff that I really have'nt seen on most other manufacturers.  Granted, all bikes have issues.  My other bike I have now is a Yamaha Roadstar with 73000 miles.  Original rotors Had trans recall.  Other then that no other problems.  Please dont take this wrong.  But would you considered the c-14 a high maint. bike, or am I blowing this out of proportion.
I guess what Im asking is, If you had to do it again,  Would you?    Thanks   Murph

Offline 3redzxs

Re: Im starting to have second thoughts about a c14
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
My C14 only has 20,000 miles but I wouldn't call it high maintenance. I've been through alot of tires but that I think is the fault of my riding style. Did my own valve adjustment with no drama or video to help. I love the bike and would buy it again.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:58 AM »
It's all doom and gloom if you read this Site, but the bike is fantastic!

It munches tires if you ride hard, and tickets are easy to get. That's the only problems I've had. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
I absolutely would buy this bike again.   Only had it for six months and about 3500 miles but zero problems so far.   This thing kicks ass.  8)

Offline con05

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
I'm on my second. I guess that says it all.
Silver 2011 C-14

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »
I've got 10,000 miles on it and it's just over a year old. No issues, no problems. Got 8500 miles out of the OEM tires and am now running PR3s. It's a whole new bike.
Kipass works, Brakes work. Unless you buy a push rod or hydraulically adj. valve croozer, you're going to have valve adjustments to deal with. My first check/adj will be around 25K. These bikes are fairly high performance, with a 10,500-rpm redline. Try that with aair cooled croozer V-Twin!
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
If you go to any bike specific internet forums, you would have a hard time believing motorcycles actually run.  I moderate a Yamaha 2 stroke sight and right now the first two pages are  "problem posts"  In reality, these bikes are as reliable as anvils, but people just dont post about nothing noteworthy.   Posting "my 2006 yz 250 is running well, no problems...etc", will not happen..its boring.

Many casual users of the motorcycle find the forum when a problem surfaces.  Also, problems on the net are never owner related.  Its easier to post, "my ignition quit working" than to post "I used a tire iron to remove my flywheel."

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
Go with your gut feelings.  If your hesitant about a C-14, don't buy one.

Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy my '09 C-14, knowing it is the best motorcycle of the 27 that I have owned. ;)

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:06:19 AM »
Zero problems with my bike in the two years I've had it. Haven't done anything except routing oil changes and new tires. The only trouble I have with KiPass is having to teach the state inspection guy at the nearby Yamaha shop how to use it every year (except this year--he didn't even ride it). Just ride all the bikes you're interested in and go with the one you like the best. If that's the C-14, then don't sweat it. It's really a great bike. Incidentally, this is what normally happens. All forums are full of complaints and posts asking for advice on solving problems. Then as soon as someone asks about reliability, everyone else finally gets to chime in on how great the (whatever) has been for them. As others have posted, no one starts a thread about how they have not had any problems with their bike. Also notice that the threads that are about problems have a lot of responses like, "I haven't had any problems like that. Haven't heard of that being a problem. Never heard of that being an issue." The truth is that problems are rare, but possible with any machine.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 07:23:33 AM »
Zero problems on my 2010 and not at all high maintenance. I've had 40 or 50 bikes over the years and research my choices beforehand quite well. I used to test bikes for the magazines and have ridden damn near everything.

There's a good reason the C14 wins magazine comparison tests: ain't nothing better at doing what it does.

Perfect? No, but nothing man-made ever is. That's why farkles were invented.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:26:44 AM »
I've been riding for about 31 years... ish.  I have 10K on my 08 C14.  If it got destroyed, I'd buy another and mod it the same way.

Good luck,
Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
Your wariness is a result of this forum. It is a great place, with great people but it tends to be a little delicate as if all the posts were made by Mary Jane Tinklepants, and there is a LOT of hand wringing around here about events that not only have not happened yet but are unlikely to happen. For example, a lot of C-14s show very small amounts of corrosion on the fuel tank under the seat. Way back when the bikes were new there were cries of gloom and doom regarding this; worries about rusting through the tank and similar. Really incredible. So now the bike is four years old and this fuel tank "issue" (there never WAS an ISSUE!) seems to be forgotten.... until someone brings it up again and there are 9 pages of posts about what might happen.

If you can be objective about it, the C-14 is extremely reliable. Go to the FJR forum and read the list of actual recalls on that bike, there have been a lot and it is ongoing. But the overall attitude on that forum is much less delicate and the participants are more likely to talk about solutions to problems than worrying about them.

A great example of this is the time spent on driveshaft noises. To the very best of my knowledge, there has been one catastrophic failure of a C-14 driveshaft, and one other mechanical failure that did not result in any damage. Both were handled by warranty and neither one caused any injury to anyone. Yet the posts, worry, concern and outright paranoia go on for YEARS. Frankly I think there is more risk of getting cancer of the testicals from the radiation of the ECU under the seat, and there is not much chance of that. But as a group, C-14 owners seem to be a worrying lot and I find this odd because it does not seem that earlier Concours owners (C-10) were or are that way.

Either way, my suggestion would be to buy the bike you like best and the one that you are worried about the least. If ANY bike makes you wary, buy something else. There is no need for any mechanical device to hold you emotionally hostage- it is just is not worth it in my opinion.

Brian

Now I know that issues tend to overpower all the good aspects of a vehicle, but let me tell you my story. I have been riding Honda,Yamaha Suzuki for 22 years.  Total of 7 bikes. Only had two brand new bikes .
I am the mimurph that got rear ended and my bike will probably be totaled.  I am reading as much info on the c-14 as I can because im a fanatic when it come to that.  To tell you the truth, I dont get the same warm fuzzy feeling that i had with most of my other bikes. The concourse seems to have some quirks, like the brakes, valve adjustments, Kipass and stuff that I really have'nt seen on most other manufacturers.  Granted, all bikes have issues.  My other bike I have now is a Yamaha Roadstar with 73000 miles.  Original rotors Had trans recall.  Other then that no other problems.  Please dont take this wrong.  But would you considered the c-14 a high maint. bike, or am I blowing this out of proportion.
I guess what Im asking is, If you had to do it again,  Would you?    Thanks   Murph
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mimurph

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
I totally understand about how one negative can destroy a ton of positives. Have been on m/c forums long enough to understand. And it is reassuring to me that you are satisfied and would purchase again.
I do think I will purchase another c 14.  Now my biggest question will be, New or used? What year would you buy? Did kawasaki have a "Magic year" when they fixed many common issues?   I heard 08-09 had heat issues.  Im sure there are more examples.   Please Let me know what you think.    Murph

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
The "heat issue" is, I believe, highly subjective and probably even differs from bike to bike. I live in Texas and I can tell you the only heat issue I have is that it is so bleepin' hot here. I don't notice anything that I would consider abnormal heat coming from my '09. It's 100+ ever day here now and I don't have baked legs or roasted gonads when I ride--and I commute every day on my bike.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:06 AM »
Frankly I think there is more risk of getting cancer of the testicals from the radiation of the ECU under the seat, and there is not much chance of that.

Lining my seat in lead as we speak, thanks.  ;D
"Always take the long way home."

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Lining my seat in lead as we speak, thanks.  ;D
The KiPass ecu is under your nads, it'll just serve to keep you virile.
Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
Kawasaki allegedly addressed all of your concerns other than valve adjustments (which are always going to be a requirement) with the 2011 so maybe that will answer your new or used question.  I have had my share of bikes, even a few in the same category (ST1300, FJR, and still ride a R1200RT) and if given the chance and money I would buy a 2012 Gold Wing.  That decision has a whole lot to do with passenger comfort.  That is the only bike I would rather have out there. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
I wonder if wrapping yourself in a Snuggie and sitting on the couch in the living room affords protection?

;D

Brian

I KiPass ecu is under your nads, it'll just serve to keep you virile.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
Kawasaki allegedly addressed all of your concerns [...] with the 2011

I think you meant 2010.  The 2010 and 2011 are essentially identical.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Excavator

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:25 AM »
I only have 2700 miles on mine so far but every time I get on it I have total confidence it will get me there and back. Any brand of bike can have an issue but I think the C14 is solid.
 Low maintenence, dependable, fast and fun to ride. When I get another bike it will be another C14, unless of course Kawasaki puts out a 1600.  ;)