Author Topic: Fuel Economy assistance mode  (Read 38504 times)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
Re: Fuel Economy assistance mode
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »
What is this 'low fuel warning' you speak of?

:rotflmao:

Brian

HAHAHA! Touché!!

I actually have one of the low fuel warning eliminators, but since the guy's website sucks but since my C14 has mostly been parked this year, I haven't had a chance to install it and try it out.

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2014, 06:53:58 AM »
I shouldn't pick on BDF...he's sensitive you know.

Actually...I was poking fun about another story...that's all...lol.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
One of the best farkles I've put on my bike is Brian's LFW eliminator. I don't know why but the LFW just pisses me off. I just hate that level of stupidity from engineers. I expect it from the rest of the world but not from engineers. The eliminator keeps me sane just a little while longer.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2014, 07:16:52 AM »
Hey, you can tell that story here- it is hysterical IMO. Goes something like this:

New guy joins COG and comes into the forum like a tornado. Big, intense posts giving his take on everything and offering to clean up the whole world. Then he gets ahold on the KiPass bypass and wants to know more but the website sucks- except he says that FartyMarty's web site sucks. Which is funny 'cause that web site is mine. So I chime in and agree with new guy and say that Marty's website sucks and he should do a better job. In the meantime, new guy writes an e-mail to Marty on his website (which is really me on my website) that he wants a KiPass bypass but does not want to pay for it- he offered to trade fixing Marty's website instead. By this time, Marty and I are going back on the forum and signing our posts with the other's name (mine are signed Marty, his are signed Brian) and the whole thing is becoming funnier. I wrote as nice an e-mail as I could, suggesting that I did not think the product would do anything he found useful. He wrote back that HE would be the judge of that! Hysterical!

And then there is the story about the gentleman who threatened me because I would not tell him where to put [what value] resistor to "jump" out KiPass so he could start his bike. And that was after two (TWO!) very nice and gentle e-mails explaining KiPass cannot be "jumped" out of the system. Too funny.

Brian

I shouldn't pick on BDF...he's sensitive you know.

Actually...I was poking fun about another story...that's all...lol.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2014, 07:24:40 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

How long are you hoping for on the sanity? I only ask because had I known that, I would have used Teflon insulation on the LFWE you got. <kidding of course> :rotflmao:

As far as engineers go, I knows some of dem guize and they are not to be trusted and they are capable of any level of failure IME. Why next to mathamagicians and penisists, I think injun- ears may have created more disastrous mistakes than any other single group of people. If it were up to me, I would put those folks who paint the lines on the roadways in charge of all design! I mean, you almost never see a mistake in the lines on the roads, right? Dem guize probably coulda' put a bridge across the Tacoma Narrows that would not have ended up IN the Tacoma Narrows in the same year I figures.

Brian

One of the best farkles I've put on my bike is Brian's LFW eliminator. I don't know why but the LFW just pisses me off. I just hate that level of stupidity from engineers. I expect it from the rest of the world but not from engineers. The eliminator keeps me sane just a little while longer.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:59 AM »
Technically, there is no "ECO Mode", it is called the "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode" (FEAM) everywhere in the manual.... but which Kawasaki stupidly labeled the "on" indicator as "ECO" just like the ECO riding indicator, just with a different background graphic and font.  Whichever engineer did that should be flogged.  No wonder some people are confused by it.  Couple that with a sprinkle of "Engrish" ( http://www.engrish.com ) and it makes it worse.

Well, actually, I think the ECO riding indicator also shows up when riding economically with FEAM activated too, doesn't it?
Yes, it can.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

How long are you hoping for on the sanity? I only ask because had I known that, I would have used Teflon insulation on the LFWE you got. <kidding of course> :rotflmao:

As far as engineers go, I knows some of dem guize and they are not to be trusted and they are capable of any level of failure IME. Why next to mathamagicians and penisists, I think injun- ears may have created more disastrous mistakes than any other single group of people. If it were up to me, I would put those folks who paint the lines on the roadways in charge of all design! I mean, you almost never see a mistake in the lines on the roads, right? Dem guize probably coulda' put a bridge across the Tacoma Narrows that would not have ended up IN the Tacoma Narrows in the same year I figures.

Brian

My sanity comes and goes depending on the next  :banghead: thing I run into. Your farkle eliminates one of them. Thank you!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
One of the best farkles I've put on my bike is Brian's LFW eliminator. I don't know why but the LFW just pisses me off. I just hate that level of stupidity from engineers.

It is just as stupid as labeling the economical driving indicator display icon "ECO" and the FEAM display icon "ECO".  I guess we should be happy that since the word "Fuel" is in both the low fuel indicator AND in the FEAM name, they don't flash a huge "ECO" when you are low on fuel, too...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
Hey Max...we've been dealing with all the names for the spare fobs all this time...lol. We're all used to this confusion no?...lol.

Spare Fob
Emergency Fob
Passive Fob
Credit Card Fob
Immobilizer Key
RF Fob
More?...lol

And that doesn't even include the main Keyfob...lol.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
...... the LFW just pisses me off. I just hate that level of stupidity from engineers.

You might be blaming engineers for what Kawasaki's lawyers or liability insurer wanted on the bike.
                 E
 As for the CO and ECO...that too may not be the engineers fault
but rather some translator pin head or perhaps two different translators that didn't know what the other was doing.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »
You might be blaming engineers for what Kawasaki's lawyers or liability insurer wanted on the bike.
                 E
 As for the CO and ECO...that too may not be the engineers fault
but rather some translator pin head or perhaps two different translators that didn't know what the other was doing.

I understand having a low fuel warning (although this is the only bike I have ridden that had it) but the implementation is stupid and dangerous. First, no need to take over the entire screen and make it flash. That's the dangerous part. It's so pervasive you can't help looking at it (takes your eyes off the road) and to cancel it you have to reach through the handle bars to manipulate 2 buttons (extremely dangerous). At the very least they should have allowed an acknowledgment and make it go away with a simple push of the page button on the front of the left grip. Several times I have caught myself reaching through the bars, not looking at the road trying to cancel it. I know my bad. Who knows, Brian's eliminator may have saved my life.

Sorry, rant over.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
Hey Max...we've been dealing with all the names for the spare fobs all this time...lol. We're all used to this confusion no?...lol.[...]And that doesn't even include the main Keyfob...lol.

Ug!!  Don't remind me.... or you will get my whining about how the so-called "credit card" fob has absolutely no resemblance, whatsoever, to a "credit card".  It isn't the same size, isn't the same weight, isn't the same function, isn't the same thickness, doesn't fit in a wallet, etc.

The manual calls it a "spare fob" which is less than brilliant, since it isn't necessarily a "spare" and what would you call the full-sized second fob that comes with the Gen 1?  Is that a "spare" too?  The best term is probably "passive fob", although that is a bit technical.  NOWHERE in any manual are the words "credit" or "credit card".  I think that ridiculous term started on some misguided marketing materials on the web, although I certainly can't find it anywhere now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
I vote "passive fob" and "active" fob. Now I'll use it in a sentence: Gen I bikes came with 2 active fobs and Gen II bikes come with 1 active and 1 passive fob.

Offline tomp

« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
I have a Gen I,  and find nothing passive about it.  Sorry that you Gen II owners have that passive problem.... ;D ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »
I have a Gen I,  and find nothing passive about it.  Sorry that you Gen II owners have that passive problem.... ;D ;D

It's that old big fob little fob thing with the slower gen 2 owners.

Offline tomp

« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2014, 05:59:06 PM »
It's that old big fob little fob thing with the slower gen 2 owners.

Sounds very troubling to me.  Isn't fob confusion an  AMA recognized mental problem?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2014, 06:03:30 PM »
Agreed- the nomenclature here is a mess. And not through anyone's particular fault, it gets worse 'cause an active fob contains a passive fob inside it. A classic case of the words getting in the way of the meaning.

It probably does not help that all of it was made and named in Japan and then re- named in English (and German, and French, and..... well you know what I mean). This system is probably a naming convention mess in dozens of countries.

Now bashing it with a rock, I think that makes the translation quite well.

Brian

Hey Max...we've been dealing with all the names for the spare fobs all this time...lol. We're all used to this confusion no?...lol.

Spare Fob
Emergency Fob
Passive Fob
Credit Card Fob
Immobilizer Key
RF Fob
More?...lol

And that doesn't even include the main Keyfob...lol.

Offline tomp

« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
Wow, Brian!  Does that mean that Gen I owners may have active/passive FOB confusion, too???

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:55 AM »
Agreed- the nomenclature here is a mess. And not through anyone's particular fault, it gets worse 'cause an active fob contains a passive fob inside it. A classic case of the words getting in the way of the meaning.

naaaah, let's blame Maxtog  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.