Author Topic: Fuel Economy assistance mode  (Read 38524 times)

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Fuel Economy assistance mode
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »
Ah, yes.  The kinder and gentler example that you always offer, Brian.  Still having trouble with that old passive-aggesive habit?

Agreed that it was was unusual for me, but for about half the riders in that group, it was their normal pace.  :)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
Anybody gets over 60 MPG?   ::)

I got the status to indicate 99mpg a couple times... As previously stated, it was coasting downhill and decelerating. If only I could ALWAYS ride downhill or decelerate... without ever slowing down, that is..

But the 5+/- is about what I see in ECO mode.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 05:15:32 PM »
Yeah, the better angels of my nature fer sure....  Things around here have been terrible, comedy- wise anyway. If the drought continues we are going to have to import some anti- C-14 folks just to stir things up a bit.

Brian

Ah, yes.  The kinder and gentler example that you always offer, Brian.  Still having trouble with that old passive-aggesive habit?

Agreed that it was was unusual for me, but for about half the riders in that group, it was their normal pace.  :)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
WOW Jim,
  Were you coasting down hills and accelerating very slowly to get this number?

I have never seen more than 43.5MPG (calculated, not by bike computer) and I've really tried at times.  Steady throttle, slow cruising (below 65MPH) and short shifting has never worked on this bike.  I've seen 50+ several times on my R1100RT, never on my K1100LT and only once or twice on my R100RS.

Mick, I have seen that number in mountains of Colorado where the down hill more than makes up for the uphill.  HOWEVER, I have seen it more than once running a solid 80 on freeways.  Mind you, it is very flat where I live.  BTW, I'm talking about entire tankfuls, and several times.  I regularly get 48-50 on a tankful.  But yes, it drops pretty badly when I'm running it hard.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
I get 4-5 mpg better mileage but I definitely feel a difference in power. Not a lot but it is there.

Just curious where you believe you feel the power difference.

It automatically drops out of the ECO mapping if you apply more than 30% throttle. That's why I try to remember to engage it every time I ride. That way it's in ECO when it might matter, and doesn't do anything when I feel the urge for power.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason NOT to have it on. I just wish it would remember the setting when you turn the bike off.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Z71

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
I got the status to indicate 99mpg a couple times.

I did too. And it was in my car.   ;D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »
I can also say that my mileage drops by about 2-3 mpg when I move the stock windshield to the fully up position.  >:(
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Z71

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
I can also say that my mileage drops by about 2-3 mpg when I move the stock windshield to the fully up position.  >:(

I think that wind direction and speed have also a profound influence on mileage.

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
I always try to remember to turn the ECO mode on...I wish the factory default was on. It seems like I can always remember to turn it on when I leave my house, but there is only about a 20% chance that I will remember to switch it back on after re-fueling.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
I have an 09, so no eco mode...  :(

Since I bought it new and even before/after full Muzzys duals and PCV setup my average mileage on my display has always read 32.1, at least I'm consistant... Guess I need to do some highway trips...  :-\

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 12:26:49 AM »
Yeah, the better angels of my nature fer sure....  Things around here have been terrible, comedy- wise anyway. If the drought continues we are going to have to import some anti- C-14 folks just to stir things up a bit.

Brian

Brian, didn't you read what he wrote? he was driving with HDs. Hence, picture a huge trailer and the C14 pulling. Assuming 3 Harley's on the trailer, and the c14 getting 15 mpg, if all four bikes owners pay for that fuel, that makes the claimed 60 mpg. Pretty obvious, me thinks.  ::)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
I think that wind direction and speed have also a profound influence on mileage.

+1

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Brian, didn't you read what he wrote? he was driving with HDs. Hence, picture a huge trailer and the C14 pulling. Assuming 3 Harley's on the trailer, and the c14 getting 15 mpg, if all four bikes owners pay for that fuel, that makes the claimed 60 mpg. Pretty obvious, me thinks.  ::)
Keep your day job.  The comedy thing isn't working for you.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Kiwi Graham

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
I find in econo mode first thing in the morning the motor runs smoother, but cant detect any noticable difference when the motor is warm.
Saying that I havent checked the actual litres/kilometer display. I have a big trip coming up in Feb so will have a play them and see what if any difference it makes.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »
It just goes to show how desperate things are around here. We have to face facts, there is little whining, just about zero hysterics or exaggeration and now the humor is vaporizing. We really can't blame Martin- he sees the need for humor and then saw a post containing the two subjects about mileage and Harleys..... who could resist?

;)

If things don't improve shortly someone is going to have to play the K- trump card....

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
Just curious where you believe you feel the power difference.

It automatically drops out of the ECO mapping if you apply more than 30% throttle. That's why I try to remember to engage it every time I ride. That way it's in ECO when it might matter, and doesn't do anything when I feel the urge for power.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason NOT to have it on. I just wish it would remember the setting when you turn the bike off.

I turn mine off when I'm running a road with a lot of twisties.  The reason is that if I'm running through curves without the RPM's up high enough, I feel the transition from eco to normal mode as I roll into the throttle and it makes for a surge of power at a time when I want the power to come on smoothly. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »

Perhaps there was something lost in the translation?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
We could always try to get The Cap'n to come back?

It just goes to show how desperate things are around here. We have to face facts, there is little whining, just about zero hysterics or exaggeration and now the humor is vaporizing. We really can't blame Martin- he sees the need for humor and then saw a post containing the two subjects about mileage and Harleys..... who could resist?

;)

If things don't improve shortly someone is going to have to play the K- trump card....

Brian
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Just Krusen

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
I noticed that the on/off throttle transition is smoother in normal mode that in eco.  This was especially noticed when I was riding in the mountains over Labor Day.

But I definitely get about 5 mpg better when in eco, even when cruising at about 83 indicated on the speedo. 
Ed Kruse
Naples FL
'02 GL1800 ABS
'11 Concours 14

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 05:23:24 AM »

You're right...
I guess I've been living here for too long  :'(

sniff... sniff...
mmmh... it smells bitter...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.