Author Topic: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day  (Read 55870 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »
Am I wrong?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JeffM

Re: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Not at all. It's a very common practice.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Thank you sir, seems some are against it was just curious =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
OMG, I guess this is the newly created thread to move all this info from the OTHER thread.  Steve, you are Evil!

I guess I am game....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
There is a difference between good visibility and just annoying people.  Many people who run with their highbeams on in the day don't care how annoying it is to other drivers, because all they care about is being "seen", when in reality, it can be more than just annoying- it can dazzle and blind some people.

High beams can and will blind and/or dazzle oncoming traffic in the daytime which is not only annoying, but also potentially dangerous.  It makes it MUCH harder to tell where the bike is/how far it is away, or which lane it is in.  This tends to throw away many possible safety gains.

If you want more front visibility, I think the best thing to do is to add properly adjusted, wide-angle driving/running lamps as far away from the headlights as possible.  And preferably yellow for additional contrast.  This provides more frontal area, a bigger apparent vehicle size, and more geometric clues for distance calculation.  Plus it helps not only in the day, but also at night, and for more angles/situations.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
I run high beams most of the time except at night....don't ride much then.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
I run my Connie with low beams during the day time, but I do have a nice and bright HID kit!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

I don't have an HID kit on my Gixxer and I always run that bike with the high beams on in the day time, although even the high beams on my Gixxer aren't as bright as my low beams on my Connie with the HID kit...  :-\

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
My Driving lights are wired into the high beams wit a relay with no switch. I run mine in city traffic, but turn them off when it's overcast, or on the interstate.

2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 05:38:31 PM »
I started running my High Beam during the day years ago. I noticed when leading a ride with a friend that when he rode with his High Bean on he was much easier to see in my mirrors so it was much easier to keep up with where he was on the road behind me. I don't buy into the ideal that bright lights blind people during the daylight hours, I've seen plenty of them and they have never bothered me.  Next time you pull in and park in front of a plate glass mirror during the daytime take a minute and look at your reflection as you switch you headlight from Hi to Low a couple of  times. Do you really want to give up that added visibility?
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Excavator

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »
I ride with the low beams adjusted as high as they will go, the riders I am behind say I am quite visible that way day or night.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
My Driving lights are wired into the high beams wit a relay with no switch. I run mine in city traffic, but turn them off when it's overcast, or on the interstate.

What's your lid have written on it JM??

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
I only run my high beams when I need added visibility at night, as if I were in a car.
I find it very annoying when I am required to see high beams in my rear view.
I seriously doubt it adds to the visibility, but maybe that's just me.
I know everyone here rides defensively, but that is my defense to unsafe drivers, not my headlights.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
OMG, I guess this is the newly created thread to move all this info from the OTHER thread.  Steve, you are Evil!

I guess I am game....

So much controversy about it I thought the topic deserved formal discussion rather than a dig here and there in another thread.  Wow I never would've suspected views are so different about it.

I'm going to ask an advanced MSF instructor friend what he suggests and how he rolls, and also if there is a FL law about it either way

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »
I run low beams all day and for night visibility I use both(high and low beams). I set the switch in between high and low. Super brigjt. I don't runthem like that for long. I don't want to melt anything.
I think bright lights toward other drivers(riders)oncoming or rearview are annoying, but do what you want. I put rhem on the same list with people that don't leave the left lane, because they are going FAST ENOUGH. Annoying!
Joel from Maine.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:47:56 PM »
Nobody has mentioned the "modulators" yet. Sooo....is that the best of both schools of thought?  8)

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
Any rider or driver that is bothered by daytime High Beams must have a hell of a time with the SUN. Sunglasses might be an excellent choice for them.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 06:56:09 PM »

What's your lid have written on it JM??
Apologies in advance for the hijack.

The lovely Jo Garcia, that's also known as Playboys Gamernextdoor signed the top, & two of Her Playmate friends signed both sides. I was invited to a party By Jo & had no idea at the time it would be full of Playmates. Jo is a cool Lady, not to mention hot as the dickens.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:34:28 PM by jamiemac »
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
I think those headlights are off topic!
Anyways I find I use the bright during the day only while splitting lanes (legal here in California). The regular lights are fine for daytime use. Use or brights during the day should be reserved for gaining special attention
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:05 PM »
I started running my High Beam during the day years ago. I noticed when leading a ride with a friend that when he rode with his High Bean on he was much easier to see in my mirrors so it was much easier to keep up with where he was on the road behind me. I don't buy into the ideal that bright lights blind people during the daylight hours, I've seen plenty of them and they have never bothered me.  Next time you pull in and park in front of a plate glass mirror during the daytime take a minute and look at your reflection as you switch you headlight from Hi to Low a couple of  times. Do you really want to give up that added visibility?

Thanks, I'm going to try this indeed

Flathead

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
Nobody has mentioned the "modulators" yet. Sooo....is that the best of both schools of thought?  8)
I absolutely love my headlight modulator. I know its only anecdotal evidence but I have not had a cage turn out in front of me in eight monts. They do have some negative side effefts as well... Some people will actually slow down in front of me in the fast lane thinking I'm a LEO and I've actually pulled over 4 cars in the same 8 month period. YMMV :-)