Author Topic: #1 Carb leaking  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: #1 Carb leaking
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
I think the answer will be yes but when you send carbs back out are they plug&play as in install and start enjoying the ride?

If they need sync i know a guy who can do it but if the bike runs better when i put the carbs back on then why bother, right now the bike is actully running pretty dang good considering.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
I think the answer will be yes but when you send carbs back out are they plug&play as in install and start enjoying the ride?

If they need sync i know a guy who can do it but if the bike runs better when i put the carbs back on then why bother, right now the bike is actully running pretty dang good considering.

I bench sync, they'll be very close, but carbs always need to be synced on the bike they're running on. Keep in mind that you can learn about the valves during syncing - low vacuum in any individual cylinder can be tight valves. Steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 09:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip, i last adjusted valves 13k ago so i will keep this in mind.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
right now the bike is actully running pretty dang good considering.

Don't waste your time.  Do it all at once.  Assuming you are sending them to SISF, and its "running well" at the moment and not leaving a puddle on the ground, I wouldn't do a thing other than save my money.  Any parts you buy other than new air boots and cable will probably be wasted.  You will have to to pull the carbs out to get to the bowls out to replace the bowl o-rings (most-likely the bowl screws will be destroyed if you don't pull the carbs).  If your air boots are hardened, you will need them before you put the carbs back in unless you have two pet gorillas and a heat gun for assistance.  As for syncing, I would bet when the carbs come back they are extemely close to being synced and they will run great out of the box as long as they are not abused when they are re-installed.  I little adjustment tweak later from a friend wouldn't hurt.

When you do take the carbs out it is also a great time to clean and inspect the airbox for cracks.  Quite a few have been noted to have a crack on the front bottom seam.  It is repairable with RTV (and sheet metal with pop rivets if you wish for extra insurance) to make it air tight again.  If you need to do this, clean it well (brake-clean) so the RTV will stick.  Also a good time to add block-off plates and also block the hole in the airbox where the hose goes thru.

You can adjust the valves while the carbs are with SISF.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 02:13:06 AM »
I already have blockoff plates and stick coils, the first thing im gonna buy is new air boots and throttle cables and one bowl gasket just in case i have no choice like if it starts leaking real bad.